PDA

View Full Version : early March NOBO stories

Fenway
07-13-2019, 15:27
Greetings, all. New to the forum. Have sights set on early March start from Springer. Would be grateful to hear tales from other NOBOs who set off in early March. (I'm a slow, but steady, hiker who probably needs the extra weeks to make Katahdin before weather shifts.) Thank you, all.

Flounder940
07-14-2019, 20:34
Nighttime temps into the teens and single digits until mid to late April, snow, sleet, ice, lots of other people starting in March so the trail,shelters and tent spots will be crowded. "Early" March some Hostels along the way may not be open yet.

Slo-go'en
07-14-2019, 21:19
Go read the journals of early March starters at trailjournals.com That's your best source.

March can be harsh. Starting in March may not buy you any extra time as progress is influenced more by weather and short hours of daylight then by the terrain.

Not much you can do about overcrowding. Might be a good thing so many start in March and end up dropping out before long. If everyone started in April it would be really crazy.

Fenway
07-15-2019, 09:31
Many thanks, Slo-go'en. Excellent point about the shorter daylight inducing fewer miles. It's something that is often lost in discussions about an early spring start.

gbolt
07-16-2019, 08:33
Great post Slo! I would add that Bubble one is Hikers starting February 15th through March 3. A great time to head out is March 4 - 14, Tuesday through Thursday. Less overcrowding and easier to work around bad weather all the way to the end. Yet you are ahead of the Big bubble the entire way. Surprisingly, I was caught off guard by the overcrowding caused by SOBOs in July. Slow but steady will get you to Katahdin anytime you chose during the months of August or September. Look for my Journal in 2018. I was 58 and looking back, wouldn’t change a thing.

Shrewd
11-13-2019, 09:53
Aside from some really cold days I really liked March.

My third night I was camped near the top of Blood Mountain during a nasty storm and with the windchill it dropped to -8, according to one kid’s thermometer. That sucked.
But the next day was gorgeous and afterwards I rented a cabin near mountain crossings with a few strangers. We were just grabbing people in the store that looked like hikers and asking if they wanted in. Soon we had 8 people and two cabins :)
One guy asked if he could sleep on the floor if he made dinner and bought beer. I handed him a 20 not sure if I’d see him again but sure enough, he hitched to town, got booze and food, and hitched back in less than an hour.

I never really had an issue with overcrowding. Some spots had a ton of people but I would just pass em. Othertimes it was fun to have that group dynamic, though with that often comes obnoxiousness. But a lot of that will fade as people start dropping out.

stephanD
11-13-2019, 10:00
You could flip-flop, say from Harpers Ferry early May.

RockDoc
11-13-2019, 13:50
Mixed bag. We started on April 4 NOBO and the hottest days were in the 80's; day one at Springer and day 22 at Hot Springs. In between it was usually friggin freezin, with significant snow and tons of rain.

Overcrowding only for the first two weeks; people dropped like flies for all sorts of reasons. One guy who played up the thru hiker bit for three weeks quit after a phone call with his grandson, who told him "Grandpa, we miss you!". Bam, off the trail!

Dogwood
11-13-2019, 15:11
Aside from some really cold days I really liked March.

My third night I was camped near the top of Blood Mountain during a nasty storm and with the windchill it dropped to -8, according to one kid’s thermometer. That sucked.
But the next day was gorgeous and afterwards I rented a cabin near mountain crossings with a few strangers. We were just grabbing people in the store that looked like hikers and asking if they wanted in. Soon we had 8 people and two cabins :)

April 13 start moderate pace. It was in the high 70's and hot. At Tray Mt shelter about 5 days 60 miles later by several accts it got to 4* as a night time low. Waking up nearly everyone's water bottles were frozen solid. Next day it got to low 70*'s. In GSMNP by several accounts( ABC watches and separate thermometers) the night time lows were 38*, 26*, 12*, 14*. Snow to a 3-4 depth one day. All the rest freezing rain or nearly so. Absolutely no view the entire AT GSMNP stretch. Bubba -NOT-licious but it was what it was and you had to deal with it.

Mixed bag. We started on April 4 NOBO and the hottest days were in the 80's; day one at Springer and day 22 at Hot Springs. In between it was usually friggin freezin, with significant snow and tons of rain.

Overcrowding only for the first two weeks; people dropped like flies for all sorts of reasons. One guy who played up the thru hiker bit for three weeks quit after a phone call with his grandson, who told him "Grandpa, we miss you!". Bam, off the trail!

Three types that start early. Those in the minority that prepare well knowing what they're stepping into; those who come to a rude awakening but somehow rise to meet the challenges; and the last group who represent the majority - the "I'm going home" category. That hike I place myself in the second category.

March the weather is even colder and unpredictable.

Dogwood
11-13-2019, 15:17
Greetings, all. New to the forum. Have sights set on early March start from Springer. Would be grateful to hear tales from other NOBOs who set off in early March. (I'm a slow, but steady, hiker who probably needs the extra weeks to make Katahdin before weather shifts.) Thank you, all.
Most AT thrus MPD avgs vacillate. After getting your trail legs and later settling into the LD lifestyle MPD while finding your OWN ways/styles avgs can go up especially in the flatter sections and as TPW's tend to decrease.

Moderate pace but long hrs(steady) while going UL is my typical style.

Shrewd
11-13-2019, 18:39
April 13 start moderate pace. It was in the high 70's and hot. At Tray Mt shelter about 5 days 60 miles later by several accts it got to 4* as a night time low. Waking up nearly everyone's water bottles were frozen solid. Next day it got to low 70*'s. In GSMNP by several accounts( ABC watches and separate thermometers) the night time lows were 38*, 26*, 12*, 14*. Snow to a 3-4 depth one day. All the rest freezing rain or nearly so. Absolutely no view the entire AT GSMNP

Oh man Tray mountain shelter, I remember that being an unending climb and friggin freezing at that shelter. Still, awesome sunset and town the next day!

Crushed Grapes
11-15-2019, 00:19
I started March 11 this year from Springer, and it was pretty freaking cold. We hit snow before even hitting the Smokies. Embrace the suck, and look forward to some extremely crowded shelters haha

Mandysigns
12-01-2020, 07:47
Hi all,
Newbie to the group here.
Do you all have suggestions for a good UL glove system that has worked for y’all backpacking in March in colder temps?
Thanks

Kittyslayer
12-01-2020, 09:18
good UL glove system

Do you really need UL for worn weight you will ditch after a month? Focus on warm and functional and send home when the weather turns. Find some options now and practice with them in Jan. / Feb. You might look at gloves for skiing.

ScottTrip
12-01-2020, 09:44
I started March 7th 2014 we had cold night time temps but weather was normal for that time of year. It all changed when we arrived in Fontana. Ice, snow and temps in single digits all the way across GSMNP. Little let up at Standing Bear but we hit again at Roaring Fork shelter (Max Patch). Again single digit temps with over a foot of snow. This was just March .... But it started getting better after Hot Springs .

LittleRock
12-01-2020, 09:53
Not a thru, but I remember doing a loop hike in the Smokies with a friend in early March one year. On our way up to the AT, it was snowing the entire time and we were wading through a foot of powder by the time we made it to the top of the ridge. The next day we slogged our way up to Clingman's Dome on a clear and frigid morning and were rewarded with gorgeous views of snow covered mountains as far as the eye can see in every direction from the tower. Those views lasted about 10 minutes as it was about 0 degrees out and windy, we had to keep moving to stay warm. We encountered a pair of aspiring thrus in Mt. Collins shelter that night who looked downright miserable and said they were heading into Gatlinburg for a zero the next day.

colorado_rob
12-01-2020, 10:56
We did a March 8th springer start a few years ago for a 500 mile LASH and though we did have a few fairly cold nights here and there, it was an excellent time to be hiking the southern AT.

Not sure where the short-daylight comment came from, the days are really starting to lengthen well in March, by mid March, of course, we're at the Equinox with over 12 hours of full daylight, another hour on top of that of hikeable light. Early March has the same daylight as late September, which is plenty.

Anyway, we did have one bone-chilling night in the single digits; a fellow hiker claimed he read 5 degrees F and I don't dispute that. We hiked with a 20 degree-capable sleeping system but with all of our clothes on, we slept OK (but not great). This was just north of the GA/NC border, can't remember the shelter name, right around 5000' in elevation.

We also had a couple of days of hiking in the falling snow, again, no big deal at all because we had reasonable gear. For the record, we did take one full day off in Hiawasee because of the weather; I think that was our only chicken-out day. Also for the record, I did buy one more layer there as well! A ~$10 fleece, which I later put into a hiker box.

The smokies were no issue, but I suppose we were just lucky with weather and trail conditions and it was now 10 days later, call it March 20th before we hit the higher elevations. We had traction devices we used a couple miles here and there because what the heck, we were carrying them.

If I do yet another repeat, I think I would start at just about this exact time, early March; it gets you ahead of the biggest crowds, though of course these days there are plenty of hikers on the trail by then.

For us, a mid-late February start is pushing it too far, the benefit/misery ratio is too low. That ratio swaps way positive come early-mid March.

colorado_rob
12-01-2020, 11:01
Do you really need UL for worn weight you will ditch after a month? Focus on warm and functional and send home when the weather turns. Find some options now and practice with them in Jan. / Feb. You might look at gloves for skiing. There are plenty of glove systems that are UL and also crazy warm. What's nice about such systems is you're not as tempted to ditch the system and regret it later.

Check out the Possum Fur gloves from Zpacks; pretty warm, but layer those with a pair of ~1-ounce shell mittens and you're good to zero degree temps, total weight of 2-2.5 ounces or so.

JNI64
12-01-2020, 11:44
There are plenty of glove systems that are UL and also crazy warm. What's nice about such systems is you're not as tempted to ditch the system and regret it later.

Check out the Possum Fur gloves from Zpacks; pretty warm, but layer those with a pair of ~1-ounce shell mittens and you're good to zero degree temps, total weight of 2-2.5 ounces or so.

+1 to this.
Love my possum furs! I didn't know what kind of possum fur so I looked them up and it's a New Zealand possum fur and the hairs are hollow . I guess that makes them lighter and warmer.
But yeah teamed up with the right shell, winner, winner!!

SkeeterPee
12-01-2020, 14:19
I know you said Early March, but if you are not afraid of the cold you could consider late February to be ahead of that huge early March bubble. I left Feb 11th this year, it was a mild winter and we had 4 snows before i got off trail per ATC request on March 16. I think they had another snow or two after that. The coldest we saw were a couple 17 degree nights, but this was a mild winter.

Since you are from MA, hopefully you can test your sleep system at colder temps than you will see. I tested mine to 5 degrees, but knew i would probably seek a hostel if below 10F.

Good luck with your hike!

HankIV
12-01-2020, 23:39
March 1st already has 45 registered on the ATC site.

https://atcamp.org/atthruhikerreports.cfm

colorado_rob
12-02-2020, 17:12
March 1st already has 45 registered on the ATC site.

https://atcamp.org/atthruhikerreports.cfm good info, thanks for sharing.

It is really curious why so many folks want to start on the 1st of the month, or the 15th of the month. Seeing these stats, why would not most folks want to start on February 28th? No difference in weather probabilities. and they would be ahead of a fairly large throng.

Perhaps the answer is that most who register don't really know at this point their start date, just a guess, so they put in "March 1" instead of "early March", etc.

But I also used to see it on the PCT registration where it is perceived as somewhat important that you start on your permit date, and the March 15, April 1, April 15, etc permits get snatched up first. Doesn't really matter for the PCT because all days "fill up" to the 50 allotted PCTA permits.

I wax.

Seatbelt
12-02-2020, 17:46
But I also used to see it on the PCT registration where it is perceived as somewhat important that you start on your permit date, and the March 15, April 1, April 15, etc permits get snatched up first. Doesn't really matter for the PCT because all days "fill up" to the 50 allotted PCTA permits.

I wax.

Just curious, any idea what the dropout rate for these thrus are on the PCT? If it is anywhere near the AT dropout rate that would mean only 12-15 actually make it? Or am I missing something?

colorado_rob
12-02-2020, 17:57
Just curious, any idea what the dropout rate for these thrus are on the PCT? If it is anywhere near the AT dropout rate that would mean only 12-15 actually make it? Or am I missing something? Purely anecdotal, but "I've heard" that the dropout rate on the PCT is less than that on the AT, but still high. the reason quoted is that the average hiker that starts the PCT is more experienced than the average starter on the AT. I can attest to at least that point; I've started from Springer twice now, once for my own AT, then again with my wife, and it is amazing the percentage of first-time backpackers on the AT. Not knocking them, good for them, and many of them actually make it.

On the PCT, I knew of no first time backpackers, meaning no one I met was one (though I'm sure there were a few). One absolutely striking difference, for example is pack size/weight. It has to be close to 2-times, meaning the average AT pack starting weight is twice that of the average PCT pack, or at least close to that. Not meaning to start any UL arguments, but this has to affect the percentage that make it.

LazyLightning
12-02-2020, 19:07
Oh wow I would expect PCT pack weight to be more considering further resuply options... I'm starting to look into a PCT thru but I know if I'm making it all the way nobo I need to start early, hit the Sierra's as early as I could and most likely with crampons, micro spikes and maybe even snow shoes... so maybe that's why I'm seeing my pack weight a bit more then AT compared to what most PCT might be.

If (when) I do the AT again I'll be shooting for a Feb start, just cause of my slow style and I actually dig some cold weather hiking. I started Amicalola March 9th 2018 and honestly never felt like I was in the "bubble" people talk about for the entire trail. I kept hearing "the bubble is coming" but never saw it. Sure the trail was crowded all the way but they say 25% quit by Neels Gap on average, so things really don't take too long to start thinning out from what I've seen. If you like stealth camping then you'll really never feel like your in a bubble. Most people passed me and I never saw them again to so maybe that has to do with the way I saw it.

colorado_rob
12-02-2020, 19:48
Oh wow I would expect PCT pack weight to be more considering further resuply options... I'm starting to look into a PCT thru but I know if I'm making it all the way nobo I need to start early, hit the Sierra's as early as I could and most likely with crampons, micro spikes and maybe even snow shoes... so maybe that's why I'm seeing my pack weight a bit more then AT compared to what most PCT might be. Well, I was talking about pack weight at the southern terminus; the early PCT has gobs of resupply options in the first many hundreds of miles, almost as many as the AT. But, I was mostly also talking about "base weight" anyway. Sure, there are some big water carries and big food carries along the PCT. And the snow gear in the Sierra.

My overall point was the higher level of hiker experience seen on the PCT vs. the AT, hence perhaps a lesser drop-out rate.

Anyway, have fun on the PCT! Spectacular trail, a different kind of fun than the AT. I started the PCT on March 29th 2018, a tad early for some, but I thought it was perfect, a nice balance of cool desert weather vs. not too bad snow in the Sierra. I also started on March 11th of this year, way early, but it was the only permit available. I only hiked a week before the Covid SHTH and my wife said "get you butt home!".

(for the record, I've only done the first ~1000 miles of the PCT).