PDA

View Full Version : Wardens kill bear on AT/LT near Goddard Shelter

somers515
07-14-2019, 07:36
I've been following this on GMC Long Trail FB page. The GMC has now installed a bear box at this shelter. Please remember to secure your food as you hike.

https://www.reformer.com/stories/wardens-kill-brazen-bear-onlong-trail,579358

Two Tents
07-14-2019, 07:52
I stayed at the shelter a few weeks ago on my AT flip flop and saw this bear. There were four people yelling and throwing rocks along with my very large black Lab who was growling and barking. The bear was unafraid. I knew this would escalate. There were two trail runner assistants who were there with wood chips and doing chores who witnessed the bold bear. They had found chewed up freeze dried meal bags.

Traveler
07-14-2019, 12:38
Have to wonder if better trail techniques with regard to food storage, littering, campfire debris, etc. could have prevented this. Second question of course would be how does that information reach people who just don't care.

Deadeye
07-14-2019, 14:53
... how does that information reach people who just don't care.

If they don't care, it doesn't matter. I've seen plenty of people who "know better", but still don't care.

Mouser999
07-14-2019, 18:25
Thanks for the info ref the bear box. We are starting at Stratton Pond trailhead and heading south next week