PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated beans

WesleyCBruce
07-16-2019, 18:23
I have never used dehydrated beans before. My question is- if dehydrated beans are placed in water and just sit will they absorb the water and be easily digestible? (Even though it won't be the most luxurious)

Venchka
07-16-2019, 18:51
It depends.
Were the beans cooked first before being dried?
My wife buys raw dried beans. Soaks them for 24 hours. Then cooks them for 3-4 hours.
The best red beans and rice ever! But I’m prejudiced.
YMMV
Wayne

Time Zone
07-16-2019, 20:16
I found out the hard way (kind of) that there's a big difference between dried beans and dehydrated beans. Sounded the same to me, but there's a great deal of difference in cooking times. It's my understanding that the kind of beans you find in the grocery store (in bags) are dried beans. Dehydrated beans are harder to find, check online.

peakbagger
07-16-2019, 20:36
Dehydrated beans were cooked then deydrated. If you dont mind a bit of crunch you can eat them raw. Sort of like Corn Nuts. Dried Beans are not of much value to a backbacker as they require lots of fuel. I buy #10 tin cans of dehydrated beans from Honeyville.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2019, 21:39
Some of the best beans to cook and dehydrate at home are lentils---2 lbs of dried lentils make enough dried lentils for 10 or 15 days worth of backpacking dinners---especially when added to cooked and dried brown rice.

First thing, thoroughly cook up lentils with salt and plenty of olive oil.

Once cooled dry up whole wad on dryer trays.

Deadeye
07-16-2019, 21:54
Dehydrated beans, like those you can get at harmonyhouse.com, are pre-cooked, then dehydrated. they rehydrate quickly. You can add them dry to something like minute rice or instant mashed potatoes and they'll be edible. I like beans & rice with curry powder, raisins and summer sausage, or beans & mashed potatoes with spam.

Siestita
07-16-2019, 23:19
I like this recipe. To make it I use Santa Fe brand dehydrated (pre-cooked) beans purchased over the Internet.

http://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/

Traffic Jam
07-17-2019, 09:39
I like this recipe. To make it I use Santa Fe brand dehydrated (pre-cooked) beans purchased over the Internet.

http://andrewskurka.com/backpacking-dinner-recipe-beans-rice-with-fritos-cheese/

my favorite trail meal.

For the meat eaters, adding dehydrated taco beef is awesome.
Tip...mix the ground beef with bread crumbs prior to cooking and dehydrating and it won’t be like gravel.

orthofingers
07-17-2019, 09:54
To answer the original question: yes, pre cooked, dehydrated beans will rehydrate and can be eaten. That said, it's been my experience that adding boiling water or nearly boiling water will rehydrate them more quickly than cold water. AND, rehydrating in cold water will work faster if the container used is moving around (e.g. in a backpack while hiking) as opposed to just sitting stationary. YouTuber "Jupiter Hikes" places whole, pre cooked, dehydrated pinto beans in a container with a sealed cover to cold soak around a half hour or so before he plans to eat. Then he keeps hiking while the beans rehydrate.

trailmercury
07-17-2019, 11:04
my favorite trail meal.

Tip...mix the ground beef with bread crumbs prior to cooking and dehydrating and it won’t be like gravel.

If you like the beef and bean burrito concept, try this recipe...Hell, most of his recipes are awesome. (BBQ spaghetti, Ghoulash, Stroganoff etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqMmWJA7EQ

The powdered sour cream adds a whole layer of flavor to it as well.

JNI64
07-17-2019, 12:25
I was out on a section hike last year around grayson highlands around the time it was closed for bear activity. I got my hammock set up and was walking around looking for fire wood and right behind my hammock the tree I was tied to behind it was a big pile of beans, I guess they got the wrong ones.i gathered them up and buried them a couple hundred yards from camp.

atraildreamer
07-17-2019, 12:35
How does the olive oil affect the storage life of the dehydrated lentils?

Tipi Walter
07-17-2019, 12:55
How does the olive oil affect the storage life of the dehydrated lentils?

Olive oil lasts a long time on the shelf and the same thing happens when it's part of dried lentils (or dried spaghetti for that matter). It does make the contents of your ziploc a little oily but that's okay.

Five Tango
07-17-2019, 13:02
I purchased some dehydrated or freeze dried re-fried bean off Amazon.They are great for freezer bag cooking.quick,and convenient.Just dont eat too many at one time.I now mix mine with instant rice and add a shot of hot sauce to them with a dash of salt and pepper.Makes an easy fuel efficient meal that can also go in a wrap.

chknfngrs
07-17-2019, 13:18
Those Santa Fe beans do well in cold water. Takes longer but you don’t have to use hot water. Plus they’re delicious

I have never used dehydrated beans before. My question is- if dehydrated beans are placed in water and just sit will they absorb the water and be easily digestible? (Even though it won't be the most luxurious)

saltysack
07-19-2019, 10:11

[emoji106]just recorded from amazon....my favorite meal! Cold soaks just fine...add avocado, T bell sauce.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saltysack
07-19-2019, 10:12
my favorite trail meal.

Haven’t used dehydrated beef where ya get it or assume diy??

saltysack
07-19-2019, 10:18
If you like the beef and bean burrito concept, try this recipe...Hell, most of his recipes are awesome. (BBQ spaghetti, Ghoulash, Stroganoff etc)

Hell yes....definitely be trying...wonder how well it would cold soak...

saltysack
07-19-2019, 10:19
[emoji106]just recorded from amazon....my favorite meal! Cold soaks just fine...add avocado, T bell sauce.....

Reordered

petedelisio
07-19-2019, 10:58
I was out on a section hike last year around grayson highlands around the time it was closed for bear activity. I got my hammock set up and was walking around looking for fire wood and right behind my hammock the tree I was tied to behind it was a big pile of beans, I guess they got the wrong ones.i gathered them up and buried them a couple hundred yards from camp.

Hmmm... Found a patch of beans growing down back there this spring.

Traffic Jam
07-19-2019, 20:24

Looks great, thank you! I’ll check out his other recipes.

Traffic Jam
07-19-2019, 20:28
Haven’t used dehydrated beef where ya get it or assume diy??

Yes, I make it myself.