PDA

View Full Version : need ideas, rafting and 1 night camping in NC

blw2
07-17-2019, 05:11
I have just an extended weekend coming up in a couple weeks. Thinking of taking my son (13) to the mountains. He's not into backpacking and as much as I'd like to do a 2-3 night backpacking trip, I also don't want to hear the belly aching.
So
I was thinking of just doing some whitewater rafting
maybe at NOC?
and instead of a hotel maybe just do one night of camping somewhere not too far from a trailhead.

Any suggestions of a great place to camp?
something maybe with some bouldering to explore, or something more than just boring trail
or would you just do a campground someplace?
I'm even thinking of just doing a cabin someplace..... any ideas for that?

not necessarily the AT, in fact I'd prefer to stay off the AT.

thanks

Maineiac64
07-17-2019, 06:17
Q
I have just an extended weekend coming up in a couple weeks. Thinking of taking my son (13) to the mountains. He's not into backpacking and as much as I'd like to do a 2-3 night backpacking trip, I also don't want to hear the belly aching.
So
maybe at NOC?
and instead of a hotel maybe just do one night of camping somewhere not too far from a trailhead.

something maybe with some bouldering to explore, or something more than just boring trail
or would you just do a campground someplace?
I'm even thinking of just doing a cabin someplace..... any ideas for that?

not necessarily the AT, in fact I'd prefer to stay off the AT.

thanks
Ocoee in Tennessee would be perfect. The BMT and other trails are close.

Gambit McCrae
07-17-2019, 08:15
My rafting of NC experience is limited but I will provide for what it is worth.

I have gone to Hot Springs, NC for about 10 weekend vacations and it is an outstanding experience every time. And the French Broad River goes right thru town. I had an A+ experience witht he rafting company there, very family friendly.

Camping: Lovely campground right on the river within walking distance to restaurants and shops, but out of eyesight.

Now for the hiking, what can I say, the AT goes right thru the middle of town, I read and understand you would prefer no AT but it is what it is.

johnacraft
07-17-2019, 08:31
maybe at NOC?

There's good rafting on the Nolichucky, which is only about an hour's drive from the Roan Highlands.