PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking April 2020

wanderlyst
07-18-2019, 13:09
Starting my thru hike first week of April. Going NoBo
Hiking with my dog(already started doing extra hiking to prepare him), other than that going solo.
Anyone on the trail know ASL(American sign language)?

trailmercury
07-18-2019, 13:22
Starting my thru hike first week of April. Haven't decided if I'm going NoBo or SoBo yet. Hiking with my dog(already started doing extra hiking to prepare him), other than that going solo.
Anyone on the trail know ASL(American sign language)?

I doubt you'll be able to star a SOBO thru hike in Maine in April. maybe a flip-flip heading south from HF, WV, but most flippers go north from there.

SOBOs typically start after June 1st.

T.S.Kobzol
07-18-2019, 19:32
Even if you skipped katahdin and started at Abol bridge in April you would do great harm to your dog in the deep deep snow and blowdowns for 95% of the Maine trail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IslandPete
07-18-2019, 19:52
We started late April in Rockfish Gap VA, nobo flip-flop, with our dog, and could not have been happier with our plan. Perfect...

scope
07-19-2019, 06:33
No reason you couldn't start Ga Nobo in April and flip to Sobo in July or early August. That's how I've been considering doing it so as to enjoy fall in NE at the last of the trip.

KnightErrant
07-19-2019, 07:52
^Last year, I started Nobo in GA in mid-April and hit Katahdin the first weekend of October, and had absolutely peak NE fall colors and weather for the last 2-3 weeks of the hike. The 100-mile wilderness and Baxter State Park were so picturesque they almost didn't feel real. So you don't even need to flip to get the gorgeous NE fall weather. That said, flipping to Maine in early August could mean more optimal hiking temperatures, because August in NY-VT was extremely warm and muggy.

wanderlyst
07-19-2019, 09:03
Thanks for replies all. I was undecided at first because family from Maine offered to let me stay with them before the trail and I'd just go SoBo, but June is a bit late for me to start. But I think NoBo is a better option now.

^Last year, I started Nobo in GA in mid-April and hit Katahdin the first weekend of October, and had absolutely peak NE fall colors and weather for the last 2-3 weeks of the hike. The 100-mile wilderness and Baxter State Park were so picturesque they almost didn't feel real. So you don't even need to flip to get the gorgeous NE fall weather. That said, flipping to Maine in early August could mean more optimal hiking temperatures, because August in NY-VT was extremely warm and muggy.

Thanks, this is helpful to know. Early october is my goal to finish. Not putting my hopes too high on the weather being so nice, just in case. Thanks for replying!

aaerlevsedi
09-18-2019, 20:54
I'm looking at the first saturday in April for my start, at Amicalola Falls approach trail. I am feeling all the things even now, 199 days before the beginning! Excitement, impatience, doubt, fears, hopes, all of it. I truly cannot wait!