PDA

View Full Version : The most common lightweight stove for heating water and cooking food?

lifeisalwaysgood
08-01-2019, 13:15
What have you seen is the most common stove for heating water and cooking food on the trail?

Is it the Jetboil, MSR pocket rocket or another model?

Ideally I would like something that is lightweight, does the job and I would like to know how long it would last. Thinking of going with MSR

Starchild
08-01-2019, 13:27
Jetboil, a simple stove and pot name brand or not and various flavors of alchy stoves are all very common. Less so but still out there on trail is white gas, wood stoves and esbit. All have their advantages and disadvantages over others.

Typically lightweight and long lasting are at odds with each other. What job would you like to accomplish, rapid heat/boil, simmer, lots of cooking, as little cooking as needed. How long between resupply of fuel?

Jetboil will be heavier (except for very long times between resupply where you will save weight in fuel), heats/boils water fast, You might expect 3+ weeks on a small canister on a thru.

Another model without the integrated pot with heat exchanger will be lighter, cook slower but can be better for simmering depending on the stove and pot combo, you might expect 1-2 weeks on a small canister on a thru. Your cooking habits will be different, and in general use more fuel with this setup due to cooking more/longer and the increased use of simmering.

fastfoxengineering
08-01-2019, 14:07
A MSR pocket rocket with a Snow Peak Titanium mug/pot seems to be the most popular in my experience.

Doesn't mean it's the best.

I prefer evernew titnaium and snow peak stoves if going with a canister setup

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Five Tango
08-01-2019, 14:41
BRS3000 is titanium,weighs in about an ounce,gets the job done.Not quite a bullet proof as the others but it is lightweight and plenty adequate.Zelph's fancee feast stove with simmer ring or his Starlyte stove with a separate stainless steel stand are hard to beat for alcohol stoves.You can't spill a Starlyte and nobody can sit down at the table you're using and spill hot burning fuel over you and others either.Something to consider.