PDA

View Full Version : Trail maintenance idea

saimyoji
03-05-2006, 13:37
I can't afford to do this, but for trail businesses that would like to keep/help hiker business:

some establishments require that hikers leave packs outside. This creates the problem of possible theft. What if there were locker style cages in which hikers could store their packs for a time and not worry about losing valuable. In Japan there are umbrella racks that cost nothing, but give the umbrella owner security that they can retrieve their umbrella, and not have to bring it inside the building. When the latch locks closed, a metal key pops out. (Its free.)

http://abramsj.tripod.com/japan/images/umbrella_rack.jpg

What if these style locks could be attached to cages in which hikers could store their packs? Or even coin lockers? Is this something trail clubs could place at strategic establishments along the trails? Or is it a waste of time?

Doctari
03-05-2006, 15:02
Wow, good idea.

I have never had any problems with theft, yet, but if nothing else, that would lessen the stress of leaving my pack un guarded for however long.

Cost of instilation may be a problem for business, so I like the coin operated way from that point of view.

Doctari.

Whistler
03-05-2006, 22:23
That is a cool idea, sort of like the ones you see at European train stations, etc. Even if it's not a moneymaker, it could be a good pro bono idea for a local outfitter or grocery or whatever.
-Mark

BigToe
03-06-2006, 01:32
I use a small ski-type retractable cable combination lock for when I have to leave my pack outside in town. It does give me peace of mind.