PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek Gap - Fontana Dam in October

jgillam
08-08-2019, 21:23
This will be my second AT section hike. My group hiked from Amicola to DCG in March and loved it so much that we are going back for some more.

Looking at the profile on Gut Hooks, this section looks to be harder which is fine.

I am looking for general recommendations or, cautions for this section around the third week of October.

Thanks in advance.

Night Train
08-08-2019, 21:26
Keen preparation for changing weather, clothing as such.

hangnw/sasquatch
08-09-2019, 01:28
Finishing Georgia is a beast. The ass kicker up and down will make N carolina a welcome site. There will be some challenging ascents in N Carolina but generally stay higher longer which makes for lots of wind and rapid swings. I did winding stair gap to Fontana the week of Halloween last year. It was definitely more remote than Georgia sections. I had wind first 3 days. If you get a chance stop at the NOC and get a cabin at wolf? I think. But get there before Halloween. Thats when the shorten the hours. The section before and after the NOC was the most difficult for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gambit McCrae
08-09-2019, 07:57
Last week of October your probably going to experience some early sings of winter. The season of walking in the rain during the day will become much less enjoyable then previous months. There are some good climbs in that stretch and the fall colors should be about peak. I would suggest trying your best to overlap bad weather with a town stay. The comments of staying up on top after a climb compared to GA are accurate. GA you seem to go down just as soon as you are on top, but in NC you get to ride some ridges. Look forward to wayah bald, its a real gem. Along with standing indian, cheoh, and the firetower that has left my memory.

soumodeler
08-09-2019, 08:25
That is a great section. The climb out of GA into NC is a bear, but once past it, it isn't too bad. Albert Mtn is a short but very steep climb. Jacobs Ladder is also a steep climb, and not very fun. Those are the worst sections. I've always heard complaints about the climb up out of the NOC, but it has never seemed that bad to me. Yes, its a long climb, but not terrible.

Lots of great views in this section. Take the side trail up to the Siler Bald summit - worth your time. Albert Mtn, and Wayah and Wesser Balds (the firetower Gambit mentioned) are right on the trail. Standing Indian and Cheoah are great views, and I would recommend camping at the summit if you are close.

Should be great timing, not too warm and not cold yet. Be aware of hunting seasons and have orange if your trip falls into a season. Water shouldn't be an issue that late, and we have had a fairly wet year anyways.

hangnw/sasquatch
08-09-2019, 09:14
Oh yes that reminds me. Have orange for your back! It is bear hunting season in that area. Ran across some hunters at burningtown gap mile 124.

jgillam
08-09-2019, 20:18
Thank you to all who responded. I had a feeling y'all would have some excellent advice.

scope
08-14-2019, 17:04
I'd say third week in Oct equates similarly to 1st week of March (not sure when you went last time), with less chance of snow in Oct (pretty much none actually, whereas March definitely). You'll be at higher elevation, though, so you likely need to plan on colder temps and don't pay attention to forecasts.

This section will be eye candy compared to the Ga section you did last time. Its less up and down all the time, but bigger ups and downs. Frankly, I loathe the rocky ascent coming out of Bly Gap. If it were me, I'd do this section Sobo. Doesn't make much difference around NOC, but ascents up Wayah and Siler are a little shorter.

Must be up on Wayah in the a.m. to view the sea of clouds that stay in the valley until mid a.m. There's a relative large campsite Nobo side about a quarter mile that makes for easy access to the bald either at night for clear sky view, or before packing out for that a.m. view. Water at shelter another quarter mile Nobo from campsite.

jgillam
08-14-2019, 21:17
I'd say third week in Oct equates similarly to 1st week of March (not sure when you went last time), with less chance of snow in Oct (pretty much none actually, whereas March definitely). You'll be at higher elevation, though, so you likely need to plan on colder temps and don't pay attention to forecasts.

This section will be eye candy compared to the Ga section you did last time. Its less up and down all the time, but bigger ups and downs. Frankly, I loathe the rocky ascent coming out of Bly Gap. If it were me, I'd do this section Sobo. Doesn't make much difference around NOC, but ascents up Wayah and Siler are a little shorter.

Must be up on Wayah in the a.m. to view the sea of clouds that stay in the valley until mid a.m. There's a relative large campsite Nobo side about a quarter mile that makes for easy access to the bald either at night for clear sky view, or before packing out for that a.m. view. Water at shelter another quarter mile Nobo from campsite.Thanks Scope. We started on Match 23rd and certainly appreciate all of your advise.

jgillam
08-21-2019, 13:32
Okay all, now the next question.

We are going to leave a single car at DCG for the week. What's the best way to get back there from Fontana? Rental car or shuttle. It's a 4 hour round trip for a shuttle driver, that seems unreasonable to me but, maybe that's normal.

JC13
08-21-2019, 13:54

We are going to leave a single car at DCG for the week. What's the best way to get back there from Fontana? Rental car or shuttle. It's a 4 hour round trip for a shuttle driver, that seems unreasonable to me but, maybe that's normal.We used Ron Brown for that very shuttle. It is super windy with no direct route from Fontana-DCG. I don't recall what we paid but I thought it was pretty reasonable.

hangnw/sasquatch
08-21-2019, 14:46
Second ron! Hes great and reasonable. He is a great resource for current trail conditions while you ride

hangnw/sasquatch
08-21-2019, 14:49
Rons at shuttle service (706)669-0919
Hes on facebook also

TNhiker
08-21-2019, 15:01
It's a 4 hour round trip for a shuttle driver, that seems unreasonable to me but, maybe that's normal.

not sure how you find that unreasonable....

look at a map....

two hours there and two hours back to wherever shuttle person is coming from (if its ron, he's around the franklin area)...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fontana+Dam,+NC/Dicks+Creek+Gap,+Georgia+30546/@35.1560893,-83.954403,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x885eb8fe691d17 f5:0xe6e21ee1aab0b96f!2m2!1d-83.8090601!2d35.449188!1m5!1m1!1s0x885f2d1e9958154 d:0xb1c0ec039d31d0f5!2m2!1d-83.6185!2d34.9117594!3e0

TNhiker
08-21-2019, 15:02
and factor in some buffer time of shuttle person getting there a little early and potentially staying a little late, depending upon hikers speed and all that....

jgillam
08-21-2019, 15:22
not sure how you find that unreasonable....

look at a map....

two hours there and two hours back to wherever shuttle person is coming from (if its ron, he's around the franklin area)...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Fontana+Dam,+NC/Dicks+Creek+Gap,+Georgia+30546/@35.1560893,-83.954403,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x885eb8fe691d17 f5:0xe6e21ee1aab0b96f!2m2!1d-83.8090601!2d35.449188!1m5!1m1!1s0x885f2d1e9958154 d:0xb1c0ec039d31d0f5!2m2!1d-83.6185!2d34.9117594!3e0It seems unreasonable for me to ask someone to make a 4 hours round trip just to move me around. Even though I'm paying, it seems like a lot to ask of someone. I guess I'm a nice guy. Lol

jgillam
08-21-2019, 15:36
Thanks for the heads up on Ron. I just called him and got set up. He was wonderful...and unreasonably affordable. Fortunately I tip well. [emoji2]

TNhiker
08-21-2019, 15:43
It seems unreasonable for me to ask someone to make a 4 hours round trip just to move me around.

oh......

sorry...

misread that to think you thought 4 hours for paying for a shuttle was excessive.....

but, ron (and others) has made a business outta it and it serves them and the community well....

have fun at fontana dam......

take a dip in the lake----its generally nice and warm like a bathtub at this time of year.......

jgillam
08-21-2019, 20:02
oh......

sorry...

misread that to think you thought 4 hours for paying for a shuttle was excessive.....

but, ron (and others) has made a business outta it and it serves them and the community well....

have fun at fontana dam......

take a dip in the lake----its generally nice and warm like a bathtub at this time of year.......This time of year? I'm going to be there in late October. Shall I pack trunks? Lol

TNhiker
08-21-2019, 23:15
This time of year? I'm going to be there in late October. Shall I pack trunks? Lol

Cant hurt....

it would give ya a shock to the system if cold....

TNhiker
08-21-2019, 23:15
Oh---and in case ya don't know---the dam has free showers....

jgillam
08-22-2019, 22:11
Next question. What is the best way to identify resupply points for a certain spot on the trail?

During our seven day trip, we would like to resupply early on day 4. Looking at our agenda, we should be at the Wayah Bald shelter on our fourth night so we would be stopping after that

I have both Guthooks and the AWOL guide book but, have only looked at Guthooks thus far. Maybe I'm not looking for it in the right place but in don't see the info in Guthooks.

I'll take suggestions but, would rather understand the process.

Thank you all.

Astro
08-23-2019, 00:22
After/before (depending if SoBo or NoBo)Wayah Bald try to hitch a ride in to Franklin at US 64 (Winding Stair).

JC13
08-23-2019, 08:16
We resupplied in Franklin, we went in from Rock Gap. Then we resupplied at the N.O.C., pricey but convenient.

soumodeler
08-23-2019, 09:24
Next question. What is the best way to identify resupply points for a certain spot on the trail?

During our seven day trip, we would like to resupply early on day 4. Looking at our agenda, we should be at the Wayah Bald shelter on our fourth night so we would be stopping after that

I have both Guthooks and the AWOL guide book but, have only looked at Guthooks thus far. Maybe I'm not looking for it in the right place but in don't see the info in Guthooks.

I'll take suggestions but, would rather understand the process.

Thank you all.

The AWOL Guide is more useful for resupply for me. It has maps of trail towns showing where everything is that a hiker would want (grocery stores, AYCE, post office, etc) in a nice format.

jgillam
08-23-2019, 09:30
The AWOL Guide is more useful for resupply for me. It has maps of trail towns showing where everything is that a hiker would want (grocery stores, AYCE, post office, etc) in a nice format.Thank you. I pulled my current section out of the guide for review this morning. I love planning and logistics, so this is all fun.

letstieoneon
08-23-2019, 09:55
dam nice showers too....

Seatbelt
08-23-2019, 11:42
When I did this section (in October BTW), I went all the way to NOC before resupplying, then just 2 days to Fontana made the load lighter going up Cheoh Bald. I have heard of people getting rides at Stecoah and Winding Chair Gaps to resupply but have not done this personally.

donlynn05
09-04-2019, 08:44
Doing Unicoi to Fontana Damn Oct 14-23 with a resupply/rest day in Franklin. Any pointers on shuttle, route and such?

donlynn05
09-28-2019, 08:18
When are you all starting? I am starting from Unicoi gap on OCT 13, stopping in Franklin on day 5 ( I hope) then on to Fontana. Im wondering about the water situation now

jgillam
10-02-2019, 21:45
When are you all starting? I am starting from Unicoi gap on OCT 13, stopping in Franklin on day 5 ( I hope) then on to Fontana. Im wondering about the water situation nowThe 12th. Guthooks has been helpful as it lets me see recent reports on water sources. I think we will be okay as long as we keep checking and plan accordingly.

donlynn05
10-03-2019, 09:51
The 12th. Guthooks has been helpful as it lets me see recent reports on water sources. I think we will be okay as long as we keep checking and plan accordingly.

You will be a day and 15 miles ahead of me, good luck! i got Guthooks, still trying to get used to it

jalfordjr
10-08-2019, 10:05
The 12th. Guthooks has been helpful as it lets me see recent reports on water sources. I think we will be okay as long as we keep checking and plan accordingly.

I'll be going from DCG to Winding Stair Oct 11-14. I think water is good now with some of the rain. Donald Ballard (The Furthur Shuttle) on Facebook (App Trail) is shuttler around there and has been reporting on water sources. I'll be driving up from FL on Thursday night.

jgillam
10-08-2019, 21:25
Maybe we'll catch up to you..

beefsmack
10-11-2019, 09:56

We are going to leave a single car at DCG for the week. What's the best way to get back there from Fontana? Rental car or shuttle. It's a 4 hour round trip for a shuttle driver, that seems unreasonable to me but, maybe that's normal.

I used Sally and Joyce (706-896-9339) last week for my first section from Amicalola to Dicks Creek. They are listed on WhiteBlaze under the shuttle providers link. The great thing about them is you can leave your vehicle at their residence (about 3 miles away from DCG) while hiking. I think I paid 90 for the 3 hour round trip, which seems reasonable to me. They do go to Fontana according to the WhiteBlaze listing. I didnt meet Joyce, but Sally was a highlight of the trip. Full of life and experiences. Very flexible, punctual, and just an overall awesome lady.