PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Head lamps

Waterbuffalo
02-14-2003, 16:13
I was at REI last night checking out a new head lamp and I am convinced the LED bulb is the way to go.
I want something bright that I can do some night hikes with. I have a Petzl Micro and it's just not meeting my needs and I think any of the Black diamond LED series could meet my needs.

Has anyone used any of the BD if so good or bad thoughts?

I want to keep my weight around 10oz or less and not use a Petzl tikka.

Thanks WB

RagingHampster
02-14-2003, 16:20
I use a Tikka, but the slightly heavier slightly brighter black diamond equivalent is the Moonlight. It has good reviews, but is kinda bulky compared to the Tikka.

Papa Bear
02-14-2003, 21:06
Check out This Thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1252&highlight=tikka) which discussed these and other headlamps rather extensively.

I personally went with the Aurora which is worth your looking at IMHO

Pb

MedicineMan
02-15-2003, 06:05
I've got/used most of them and my choice is the Black Diamond Moonbeam, and that is because of the walk/climb down to Fontana Dam from Stecoah Gap..learned that the Aurora's and the Tikka's are bare bones for hiking in inclement weather and on serious downs...saw the Moonbeam at a local outfitter, went into a dark dressing room and now I can hike at night if I have to.
It is comfortable and balanced with the battery pack on the back, you will like the tilt head and the way it can tilt into position that prevents accidental ons while in your pack...the only thing I wonder about is the wire from the light section to the battery pack and its longevity but surely that will take some time.....dont stair at anyone with this thing on!

PushingDaisies
02-15-2003, 15:14
I have a BD Ion headlamp. It's small, lightweight (1 oz without batt.) and cheaper than some of the more popular headlamps. It has been a good little light for me, but I don't do much night hiking. I have heard that it is not a good light for night hiking, so this headlamp might not be for you.

silverback
02-15-2003, 19:59
Be careful if you buy a Moonlight- the cable connecting the battery case to the lamp has very little slack in it and can be pulled away from the battery case if you're not easy with it. I just sent mine back to BD for replacement because the cable pulled out of the brass clamp holding it against the battery contacts.

MedicineMan
02-15-2003, 23:12
yeah silverback you put my concern in more understandable terms but so far no problems with the unit and I doubt many of us here intentionally trash our gear so I'm sure your Moonlight failure was a design flaw, I will keep an eye on mine.

DebW
02-16-2003, 10:27
My Moonlight also developed a loose connection after 1.5 years of use. The wire didn't pull out, it just failed to work at times. Returned it to REI and they gave me a new one in exchange.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 10:52
I've been tempted to get a moonlight for the extra light intensity, beam width and minimal weight increase, but the seperate battery pack and external wiring turn me off.

I also considered a behemoth BD Gemini for extra long 16-20hr day/weekend hikes, and still may eventually pick one up.

MedicineMan
02-16-2003, 23:07
I think the placement of the battery pack in the back is a plus for balance and comfort-only when you are lying down do you feel its rubby knobbies in the back of your head....the wire from one to the other is my concern and I feel safe to say that after reading all about the Moonbeam it will fail-just hope its a while

Christian
02-18-2003, 22:07
Why don't you want a Tikka, I had very good experiences with it. One day, this winter we where climbing in the Dolomites, we were a bit behind schedule and so, we had to abseil several lengthes in complete darkness. The Tikka really saved our a**es. Especially since then I love that little thing.
Cheers, Christian

MedicineMan
02-18-2003, 23:08
Dont get me wrong, got a Tikka too and do like it a lot, just the Moonbeam is so much brighter. The Tikka too has gotten us off the trail well after dark, as has a little photon, but to intentionally decide to strike out at night on a hike or paddle I would choose the Moonbeam

Christian
02-19-2003, 20:00
Just wanted to make clear that the Tikka could be all you need for night hiking, but if you have experience with it and it doesn't fulfill your needs, go for something else, no prob ;-).

Waterbuffalo
02-23-2003, 18:48
I bought the Moonbeam and Tikka yesterday since both were spoken highly of and took them out last night and hands down the moonbeam won. In a survival situation the tikka would be great but I did 3 miles with each headlamp and the one closest to my Duo in brightness was the moonbeam and my toes are happier because I could see better and didn't stub them on the tree roots!:banana

Thanks for the help everybody!

WB

DebW
03-03-2003, 16:56
Just a warning for you all about LED lights. The intensity is a strong function of battery voltage. You will get nice bright light out of an LED lamp with fresh batteries, but the intensity will fall off rather dramatically as the batteries age. The battery life they list is the lifetime you get if you are willing to use the light down to a fairly dim intensity. Therefore, if you plan to night hike frequently or want the option on occassion, it would be best to carry spare batteries on long hikes. If the light gets too dim for your needs (and it will), just swap in some fresh batteries. A few LED headlamps (e.g. PTech Matrix) have voltage regulators and therefore maintain a more constant intensity. The Tikka/Zipka, the Aurora, and the Moonbeam do not.

MedicineMan
03-04-2003, 01:24
Excellent point DebW, always good info from you!

Christian
03-04-2003, 08:15
You're right about the voltage regulators - they will keep a steadier light output than normal batteries without regulator. But one has to keep in mind that with a regulator you can't easily "see" when the batteries need a change. if the batteries in a regulatd lamp go low, the light output is the same as with fresh batteries, but when the voltage gets too low for the regulator to work, then the light goes off immeadetly.
The light of a Tikka for example gets dimmer and dimmer, and when its too dimm, you simply have to keep in mind that before the next trip, you better change batteries

MedicineMan
03-04-2003, 23:21
Well until the Moonbeams fails due to its wire problem it will be my headlamp of choice-that much light/comfort is hard to not enjoy. but yes a photon light will be in the ditty.