PDA

View Full Version : Is swimming helpful

lobster
03-05-2006, 14:23
in preparing for a long distance hike? Anybody use it in a pre-hike training regimen?

neo
03-05-2006, 15:15
in preparing for a long distance hike? Anybody use it in a pre-hike training regimen?

swimming is great overall body condition period:cool: neo

gsingjane
03-05-2006, 16:02
Swimming can be an excellent choice for the cardio component of your training regimen. Three specific thoughts on it, though: many people choose swimming because it minimizes, and maybe even eliminates, pounding on joints and wear and tear on muscles, bones, etc. However, if you are in the kind of shape - due to age, injury, illness or all three - where you need to really baby your joints and bones, long-distance backpacking may not be the sport for you. Second, if your body fat percentage is very low, swimming will be extremely hard for you. You will spend an awful lot of your energy just trying to keep from sinking to the bottom like a stone. Finally, to be able to swim more than a lap or two without feeling like death, a person does have to acquire some technique. Sometimes this can be hard to learn... I find swimming much more technically difficult than running, jogging, biking, or the cardio machines at the gym.

FWIW!

Jane in CT

jackiebolen
03-05-2006, 16:24
I think any type of vigourous, cardiovascular activity would be helpful. The better shape your lungs and legs are in before the hike, the easier the first month will be for you.

Plus, if you vary up the activity, you won't get bored and you cut down on pre-hike injury.

betic4lyf
03-05-2006, 18:53
it is good cardio wise, but it doesnt work out your legs like running or hiking do, but if you like swimming, there is no reason to stop, and maybe to take care of legs, maybe do some squats or lunges afterward to build legs

TwoForty
03-05-2006, 19:17
It's great becuase it is low impact, good for cardio, and helps the muscles too.

Alligator
03-05-2006, 21:28
If you're body fat is low and you are new to swimming, try Zoomers fins. They are short fins designed to augment the leg muscles. I have recently taken up swimming and my instructor recommended them.

Ridge
03-06-2006, 21:35
Swimming is great. But, I think the only way to practice hiking long distances is to practice hiking, with a pack, on a trail near home, as often as you can, with the gear you plan to take. Breaking in boots, your butt and everything else will take a little time, but hiking is really the best exercise.

Peaks
03-07-2006, 10:34
It's great becuase it is low impact, good for cardio, and helps the muscles too.

But swimming doesn't do much for the lower body. Mostly an upper body workout. If you are interested in low impact workout for the lower body, then consider biking, or roller blades. Having said that, nothing gets you into shape for backpacking than hiking and backpacking.

Micky
03-07-2006, 10:53
Try using a kick board (small foam board0 most pools have them. While using this you use only your legs. Try talking to a instructor at your local pool about your workout.

Moxie00
03-07-2006, 17:04
Swimming is a good cardiovascular exercise and you can burn calories and tone your body without wear and tear on your muscles, If you wish to get the same workout without getting so wet try sex.

MtnBikerGuy
03-07-2006, 18:16
WOW...swimming the AT. Now that would be a first. Easy going down stream, but upstream would suck! :banana

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 18:26
Swimming is a great all around conditioner, but there are more 'hiking specific' types of workouts that you could do.

lobster
03-07-2006, 18:39
I like Moxie's idea. Is that a sport with a partner or solo? If with a partner, any volunteers to help me with my training? Note, they have to be females who qualify for the "most sexy hiker babe" thread!