PDA

View Full Version : Carnation Essential

pickle
08-11-2019, 11:16
Has anyone used this-if so can you use water instead of milk

fastfoxengineering
08-11-2019, 11:43
Pickle you're posting a lot of redundant questions. Please use the search function. You will likely discover 20 threads on carnation instant breakfast as it is wildly popular with hikers.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

u.w.
08-11-2019, 11:43
yes & yes

u.w. / willin'

gpburdelljr
08-11-2019, 13:09
Pickle you're posting a lot of redundant questions. Please use the search function. You will likely discover 20 threads on carnation instant breakfast as it is wildly popular with hikers.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
A large number of questions posted are redundant, and that is because it is difficult to find the info you want using the search function on this forum.

TwistedCF
08-11-2019, 15:43
A large number of questions posted are redundant, and that is because it is difficult to find the info you want using the search function on this forum.

Try using google instead. I searched "Carnation whiteblaze.net" using google and was linked directly to a bunch of threads on this site.

Deadeye
08-11-2019, 20:32
Ask all the questions you want. Nobody has to answer if they don't want to.

Tuxhiker
08-11-2019, 22:34
Regarding the search feature, it seems different depending on which app you are going thru to access White Blaze. I know of two apps: Tap-a-Talk and the Whiteblaze app. I haven't figured out how to search in Tap-aTalk. I can search in the White Blaze app. But Google has the most robust search ability. I think you put the forum name in single quotes followed by the search string. If I'm wrong about the format, please chime in. I would also be interested in knowing which app yall prefer to use to access Whie Blaze on your phone. Forum runner was mentioned in another thread, but it is not available in the Google Play Store.

Venchka
08-11-2019, 23:20
Yes.
Yes.
With a twist.
Dry measures according to the package directions. I buy in bulk.
I serving Carnation Essentials
1 serving Nido Whole Milk
1 serving Pea Protein
1 serving Cafe Bustelo Instant Coffee OPTIONAL.
DRY ingredients in 1 ziplock snack bag.
2 snack bags and two single serving instant coffees in a ziplock Pint Freezer Bag.
8 ounces hot or cold water as my mood suggests.
Wayne

pickle
08-12-2019, 09:22
Sorry for posting something I couldn't find won't post anymore questions-will just read other hikers questions from now on.?

JNI64
08-12-2019, 09:31
Ask all the questions you want. Nobody has to answer if they don't want to.

What he said.

JNI64
08-12-2019, 09:32
Or she sorry don't know for sure.

gpburdelljr
08-12-2019, 10:53
Sorry for posting something I couldn't find won't post anymore questions-will just read other hikers questions from now on.?

Post all you want, and ignore the comments that aren’t helpful.

Glenn
08-12-2019, 11:44
Maybe it's me but this forum has slowed down in the last couple years, I would think any post would be good.

daddytwosticks
08-12-2019, 13:51
Maybe it's me but this forum has slowed down in the last couple years, I would think any post would be good.

Slowed down? That's an understatement. Been a member for well over 10 years and lurked for a while before that. This site has become a ghost town. Seems counter productive to encourage folks NOT to post questions...

HooKooDooKu
08-12-2019, 14:07
Slowed down? That's an understatement. Been a member for well over 10 years and lurked for a while before that. This site has become a ghost town. Seems counter productive to encourage folks NOT to post questions...
Facebook

Several years ago, Whiteblaze seemed to be THE place on the internet to go to ask hiking related questions.

The only competition seemed to be Yahoo groups, and they sucked (difficult to use, too email-intrusive).

But today, lots of people already know how to use Facebook. So learning to use a Facebook 'group' is a no-brainer compared to the complexity of Yahoo groups.

So today, I'm seeing the questions that used to get repeated here in WB getting repeated in the targeted groups on Facebook.

Venchka
08-12-2019, 14:52
I think I have posted up my instant Breakfast concoction several times. Even got a few thanks.
I hope I helped a little.
BTW. One of those snack bags in the morning keeps me going until noon. And a lot of protein!
All the best to you!
Wayne

Dogwood
08-12-2019, 16:00
Folks are trying to be helpful. Dont let it bother you Pickle. I've done like you've done and have as others have.

Yeah you can use H20 in the Carnation Essential but it does cut down on the cal/oz and overall nutrition. It does taste and texturize 'watered down' with skim/no fat milk or water. When using it in the past with water rather than milk my perception was that it was harder to integrate the dry mix into liquid particularly with coldish water. Maybe use warmed water?

Rain Man
08-12-2019, 17:56
Has anyone used this-if so can you use water instead of milk

I've liked this stuff since the old days when it was called "Instant Breakfast." And as others do, I add Nido, which is whole milk.

Been here since 2003. Duplicate threads are common and always have been. Search function barely helps ... but is sure better than Facebook's!!!

Five Tango
08-12-2019, 19:26

When people,especially new people,get flamed for asking a simple question or making a benign comment is there really any wonder? WB is a mere shadow of it's former self.

kestral
08-13-2019, 09:26
When people,especially new people,get flamed for asking a simple question or making a benign comment is there really any wonder? WB is a mere shadow of it's former self.

Exactly correct.

On a slight tangent, when I worked in the ICU, some of our patients were gastric bypass and short bowel sufferers. A couple Gastrointestinal specialty Docs routinely prescribed carnation instant breakfast with whole or skim milk, or goat milk depending on caloric needs and allergies. They felt this stuff with added real milk was nutritionally equal or superior to the canned “Ensure” type products, and their many formulated relatives made by pharma companies. It was also pennies rather than dollars for the patients when they went home, greatly increasing the possibility of nutritional compliance, and ultimate healing.

Im sure the recipe has chanced somewhat, but this product is still among the better choices for nutrition commonly available.

I like a packet of French vanilla with 1/4 cup Nido, 1tsp of instant coffee. Shake till smooth. I keep this concoction in the car, in a baggie in the clean shaker bottle. Stop for some ice water at the gas station. much better than Micki D’s in a pinch, and the local Starbucks (my occasional splurge) has become very spotty in quality. This would work great on trail.

Happy hiking. There will always be trolls, most turn out to be great people who are having an off moment, a few really do belong under a bridge.

saltysack
08-13-2019, 09:36
Yep works well with coffee no milk needed....vanilla works well as a milk substitute for granola etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u.w.
08-13-2019, 12:33
I think I have posted up my instant Breakfast concoction several times. Even got a few thanks.
I hope I helped a little.
BTW. One of those snack bags in the morning keeps me going until noon. And a lot of protein!
All the best to you!
Wayne

I was one of those "few thanks" I think. I'll even say, Thanks again.

I've modified the initial info to suit my own needs/wants/likes over the miles of course (protein powder, chia seeds, wheat or corn flour, cinnamon, matcha, nido, etc...).

u.w. / willin'

IslandPete
08-13-2019, 13:30
Yup. We just put it in our coffee. Cheap calories, and good in the coffee. Gives you wicked gas though...

Dogwood
08-13-2019, 15:37
On a slight tangent, when I worked in the ICU, some of our patients were gastric bypass and short bowel sufferers. A couple Gastrointestinal specialty Docs routinely prescribed carnation instant breakfast with whole or skim milk, or goat milk depending on caloric needs and allergies. They felt this stuff with added real milk was nutritionally equal or superior to the canned “Ensure” type products, and their many formulated relatives made by pharma companies. It was also pennies rather than dollars for the patients when they went home, greatly increasing the possibility of nutritional compliance, and ultimate healing.

Western trained M.D.'s nutritional education is substandard based on research reports coming from the health care and medical education industries themselves. Part of the responsibility for much contradictory dietary confusion goes to the medical industry itself who rarely comes to a dietary consensus.

More like SAD nutritional habituation as usual consuming a high sugar diet. YES, sugar is cheap in the U.S. so are many GM corn, soy, canola(rapeseed) and cow's milk derived products...because the taxpayer subsidizes these commodities to drive the cost down NOT only for the consumer but for the economy(financial profit) by sellers of these products. Look at the ingredient list from top down(most occurring ingredients) in Ensure as well. Adding some vitamin fortification to processed food/engineered foods that may have had some of those nutrients removed through processing is common in the "food science/food engineering" industry.
Im sure the recipe has chanced somewhat, but this product is still among the better choices for nutrition commonly available.

I will take exception. This is a similar approach to suggesting and indoctrinating the impoverished uneducated public McDonalds is a better financial choice for nutrition.

Dogwood
08-13-2019, 16:51
This is why I no longer consume this stuff and open minded outside of the box forward thinking professional Nutritionists are offering food alternatives. There are better nutritional alternatives whether off or on trail...if we soberly take back our right to decide what we consume.
https://www.madewithnestle.ca/carnation-breakfast-essentials/carnation-breakfast-essentials-powder-drink-mix-vanilla-0 (https://www.madewithnestle.ca/carnation-breakfast-essentials/carnation-breakfast-essentials-powder-drink-mix-vanilla-0)

Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix - Vanilla Ingredients

Carnation Breakfast Essentials Powder Drink Mix - Vanilla (dry mix)

Skim milk powder

, sugar - sugar

, corn maltodextrin - a sweetener

, oligofructose / inulin (prebio¹ - another sweetener

) ,lactose - milk sugar, another sweetener

, artificial flavour - ?

, cellulose gum

, vitamins and minerals (vitamin a palmitate

, ascorbic acid

, thiamine mononitrate

, riboflavin

, niacinamide

, ferric orthophosphate

) . Contains milk.May contain soy and wheat

Typical! Marketing of nutrition in the food industry hypes the potential good nutritional aspects ignoring the dismal nutritional aspects of highly processed food like substances which make the overall nutritional quality of the product quite dismal even highly health problematic.

Look at what this is nutritionally in the vanilla version. 150 calories in a serving with 80 of those calories(20 g) from sugar. This is a 53% by caloric content sugar drink not a protein or calcium or vitamin drink. No wonder why so many addicted to high sugar intake such as those on the Standard American Diet(SAD) like it and those accustomed to roller coasting sugar energy highs bonk. It's starting your day with a sugary processed food like engineered substance similar to what the food industry offers in high sugar content highly processed b'fast cereals marketed to children to addict this young consumer group to an industry's economic approach to nutrition. Are you as an adult also being treated as a child by the food industry?

Nutritionists and Psychologists have rightly placed sugar along side other drug addictions. Sugar could be considered as a drug to which one becomes habituated regularly craving, psychologically(neuro-chemical) and physically addicting implicated in the development of many diseases and health issues. Behavioral studies have demonstrated people addicted to sugar go though withdrawals when not receiving their high sugar intake.

And, bringing it full circle applied to hiking, if concerned about food wt, cal/oz, overall nutritional needs, maintaining an energy baseline, and daily caloric needs as a backpacker ask yourself food soberly - if this is possible - "is this option the best to be habitually consuming on a backpacking trip for energy and overall nutritional needs; is this substance truly a nutritional powerhouse as marketed?"

kestral
08-13-2019, 17:17
Dogwood.... please don’t look in my food bag!

Harrison Bergeron
08-13-2019, 17:24
I can't imagine hiking all morning on Instant Breakfast when a package of oatmeal weighs about the same. Personally, I like something that fills my stomach for more than ten seconds. But to each his own, I guess.

By the way, half&half packets improve the taste of oatmeal as much as they do coffee. I guess they'd work with instant breakfast, too. I carry them in my coffee mug so they don't get crushed.

Carnation Instant Breakfast: 36 grams and 130 calories.
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Maple & Brown Sugar: 43 Grams and 157 calories.