PDA

View Full Version : Uploaded Maptech Track File for AT Centerline

LostInSpace
03-05-2006, 18:38
I have uploaded a Maptech Terrain Navigator track file for the AT centerline. I created this file from the ERSI shapefile downloaded from the ATC Web site.
ffice:office" /><O:p></O:p>
The ZIP file is 3.2 Mbytes. The Maptech .TXF file contains 317,750 track points for 4,549 segments. The track segment names are keyed to the trail club and the segment ID in the shapefile. I did not try to split the Maptech file. Splitting the file is something you might want to try if you are running on a slow computer and Terrain Navigator gets bogged down. Be aware that Terrain Navigator initially will take quite a while to load the track file. Once the data is loaded, speed should not be an issue, as Terrain Navigator saves the data in some native format.
<O:p></O:p>
Note: I ran the shapefile through the public domain ShapeNADCON program to convert the shapefile from NAD27 to NAD83. Although the projection file associated with the shapefile indicates a NAD83 datum, the resulting line did not seem to track well in Terrain Navigator. After shifting the datum, the resulting line seems to “look” better, at least within my Mpatech maps for ffice:smarttags" /><ST1:place w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PlaceName w:st=Shenandoah</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">National Park</st1:PlaceType></ST1:place>. If anyone has other Maptech maps and thinks that unshifted data may plot better, I can upload that, too.
In a previous post I think I erroneously said that the G7toWin program would convert an ERSI shapefile to a Maptech track file. This is not correct. I think I had found a way to convert a shapefile to a .GPX file, which G7toWin can then convert to a .TXF file. I can’t figure out what program I used to create the .GPX files. In any case, G7toWin has a limit of something like track 500 segments, so it wouldn’t work in any case. I have not been able to find any free software that will split a shapefile.
The process was half automated and half manual. I converted the shapefile to a text file using shp2text.exe. Then I loaded the text file into an MS Access table to manipulate it into the form of a Maptech track file.

The ATC source data does not reflect some of the recent trail reroutes, which the ATC Web site lists. For example, the section just south of Ashby Gap, VA, which now follows the ridge, for great views!
The ZIP file I uploaded also contains the segment information, in the form of an MS Excel spreadsheet, which I extracted from the shapefile. The only think I see that someone might use it for is to total the number of AT trail miles that each club maintains.

dperry
03-06-2006, 15:00
Thank you for doing this, Lost in Space.

manumuskin42
02-05-2007, 12:09
Lost in space
I"m new here.where would this track file you uploaded be located?
Thanks for doing this.it"s much needed.
Al

attroll
02-06-2007, 04:08
LostInSpace

You can not use HTML in post on this web site. We had to remove that option for security reasons.

If you want to attach the file to your post you can upload it and a attachment as long as it is not to large.

ZEKE #2
02-07-2007, 09:57
Please do!

manumuskin42
02-07-2007, 12:30
Lost in Space.
It appears like you tried to send the file in the forum and weren"t allowed.Please send it to me at my e mail address
[email protected]
I would appreciate it very much,
Thank you,
Al