PDA

View Full Version : WM Quilt or bag (need warmth but also versatility and weight savings)

2002Songbird
08-16-2019, 14:01
I am getting a new sleeping bag or quilt along with a new mat (probably NeoAir Xlite), with the goal to upgrade old gear and lower my pack weight. My first trip with it will be on the AT in late November on the Atkins-Pearisburg VA section, but I will also be doing AT sections in the summer eventually, so I am looking for versatility. I'm trying to decide between a Western Mountaineering Ultralite (20 degree, 1lb 13 oz), Versalite (10 degree, 2 lbs), Apache MF (15 degree, 2 lb) or the Astralite quilt (26 degree, 1lb). My current bag is 2 lb, 4 oz and is only warm down to 40, after which I need to pack a liner and other stuff to keep warm. I know the Astralite itself won't keep me warm if it goes to the low 20s or lower, but I figure with it being so lightweight, I could pack some extras like a closed cell pad and an extra hood and wear a down jacket and still be at about the same weight. I am a relatively warm sleeper. Then I would also have it for the warmer trips, when I would shave over a pound off from my current bag. Does that sound reasonable, or should I stick with a traditional bag to make sure I am warm in November?

Traffic Jam
08-16-2019, 14:38
If you’re looking for a bag that will work in shoulder season and summer, the 25* quilt sounds like a good option.

I’ve found WM bags to be true to their ratings and think the Apache and Versalite might be too warm for you.

If you plan to backpack in winter, it may be best to invest in two bags. Someone’s selling a Versalite for $400. If I didn’t already have two WM bags, I’d snap it up.

Maineiac64
08-17-2019, 06:35
I myself would opt for 10 degree bag for that timing.

Garlic Guy
08-17-2019, 08:15
I have a WM Megalite (30 degree bag). Very versatile. Weighs 1.5 lbs. Great down to 30 and with a silk liner, socks, etc easily comfortable down to 20-25. If you are going to do a lot of nights in the summer a 10-15 degree bag is overkill IMO. I have used my bag in the Rockies, Wind River Range in Wyoming, AT, etc. In the hot summer you really just need a liner if you want, no bag. If you want versatility I would go with a 20-30 degree bag, lower than that for most 3 season uses might be a bit too much. I did buy a 10 degree bag last year as well. I only use for winter use. I can be warm in that to 0 or less, but the Megalite has been a great light, warm bag.
Good Luck!

Gary

Hikingjim
08-17-2019, 12:40
An interesting issue brought up from Skura on his Astralite review:
https://andrewskurka.com/review-western-mountaineering-astralite/

He had issues with it getting damp and losing warmth in humid climates.

with my quilt experiences, I like it down to about freezing (my 20F hammock gear), but below that it is more work making the quilt work than just using a mummy bag (ie: have to add lots of head insulation, sometimes issues with drafts even when tied down, etc)

If you're doing a lot of fringe season stuff, and especially some longer trips, I'm not sure how that quilt will serve you. But if you will be doing more summer, etc, then you could stretch it or make it work for some fringe season trips. If you're going anywhere near 20f with that thing, I would have a decent down jacket with a hood on it + beanie, and a good sleeping pad

Traffic Jam
08-17-2019, 13:08
I have a WM Megalite (30 degree bag). Very versatile. Weighs 1.5 lbs. Great down to 30 and with a silk liner, socks, etc easily comfortable down to 20-25. If you are going to do a lot of nights in the summer a 10-15 degree bag is overkill IMO. I have used my bag in the Rockies, Wind River Range in Wyoming, AT, etc. In the hot summer you really just need a liner if you want, no bag. If you want versatility I would go with a 20-30 degree bag, lower than that for most 3 season uses might be a bit too much. I did buy a 10 degree bag last year as well. I only use for winter use. I can be warm in that to 0 or less, but the Megalite has been a great light, warm bag.
Good Luck!

Gary

thats exactly what I do...have a megalite and an antelope. If it’s hot, I use the megalite as a quilt.

2002Songbird
08-17-2019, 13:40
Thanks so much for the replies. I am now leaning towards getting the 15 degree Apache MF. It weighs the same as the Versalite, but is supposed to have more durable fabric, something I worry about with my dog in the tent. I won't have to stress whether I will be warm enough, plus I do sometimes hike in winter when it gets below 20. I figure I can use it as a quilt in the 30-50 temp ranges, and then for the hot summer hikes I can use the reactor extreme liner I already have, or get a cheaper quilt like the BA Kings Canyon.

Traffic Jam
08-17-2019, 18:30
Thanks so much for the replies. I am now leaning towards getting the 15 degree Apache MF. It weighs the same as the Versalite, but is supposed to have more durable fabric, something I worry about with my dog in the tent. I won't have to stress whether I will be warm enough, plus I do sometimes hike in winter when it gets below 20. I figure I can use it as a quilt in the 30-50 temp ranges, and then for the hot summer hikes I can use the reactor extreme liner I already have, or get a cheaper quilt like the BA Kings Canyon.
Sounds good!

I’ve run into more trouble (body temp regulation) after sweating in a too-warm bag than I have with not having a warm enough bag.

Just something to keep in mind.

:)