PDA

View Full Version : Northville-Placid Trail Question

sleepwalker
03-05-2006, 20:17
I'm planning a summer thru-hike of the Northville-placid trail and I've been doing a little research. I came upon a website that claims a portion of the trail is closed(wakely dam section)due to a private land owner not allowing free travel on the trail. The report was as of 2004. Does anyone know if this is still the case? If so, what changes do i need to make.

Also, while I'm posting this, I may as well ask if supplies are a problem on this trail. How much do you usually start with, etc.. I pass this trail quite often and I'm dying to get it under my belt. Thanks for the heads up!

NoKnees
03-05-2006, 20:58
I think that you can arrange passage through the closed section. See the Schenectady chaper of the ADK's website at http://www.geocities.com/schdyadk/northville-placid_trail.htm.

Hammock Hanger
03-06-2006, 09:25
I did it a few years back and I was able to camp at a private campground near Wakely Dam, so I do not know about the closure. I did have to do a 7+ mile road walk just past the campground.

As for resupply there was a small store and PO right at the start like day 2 of our hike. We did not use either. We carried 5 days of food. We left a food cache at N28 with 5 more days of food and we had plenty. At N28 you can also hike/hitch a mile down the road and get minimal supplies at the convenience store and Haus' Adrirondack Gift store.

jym beam
03-06-2006, 10:30
Did this trail in 2004, and actually knocked on the door of the person whe the conflict is with. We called before our trip and left a couple of messages with the landowner and he said it was no problem to go across his land, and he appreciated us calling. Don't know or remember the #, but I think I found it on the website you mentioned. Just past his land was a drowned section of the trail as a beaver pond must have released upstream and made for an interesting walk through thigh deep water. We truly enjoyed this trail, and had a wonderful time hiking it and the scenic camping opportunities it provided. We resupplied in Blue Mt. Lake and stayed at the B and B there and had a wonderful time and met wonderful people. Have a good hike, take bug dope and other bug protection.

Jym Beam

jym beam
03-06-2006, 10:34
Did this trail in 2004, and actually knocked on the door of the person whe the conflict is with. We called before our trip and left a couple of messages with the landowner and he said it was no problem to go across his land, and he appreciated us calling. Don't know or remember the #, but I think I found it on the website you mentioned. Just past his land was a drowned section of the trail as a beaver pond must have released upstream and made for an interesting walk through thigh deep water. We truly enjoyed this trail, and had a wonderful time hiking it and the scenic camping opportunities it provided. We resupplied in Blue Mt. Lake and stayed at the B and B there and had a wonderful time and met wonderful people. Have a good hike, take bug dope and other bug protection.

Jym Beam

MOWGLI
06-21-2006, 09:48
Question? I have been planning to hike a 70-mile section of the AT in Vermont with my daughter next month (starting July 22) but am recalibrating. I'm thinking big miles (13-14) is a bad idea for father/daughter and am instead considering a 5.5 day trip along the Northville Placid trail with hikes of <10 miles per day.

I know the N-P Trail is a low elevation trail. What might the skeeters be like in Late July? I am especially interested to hear from folks who have hiked in that area during that time of year.

Thanks!