PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts info

icebeard
08-19-2019, 11:12
Hey all,
Icebeard here again gathering info for my fall section. Considering finishing up Massachusetts in September. More specifically Great Barrington to VT 9. How's the terrain this section? Any important things to know, can't miss places, etc?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

ldsailor
08-19-2019, 11:35
Upper Goose Pond cabin is a nice place to stay, and if you want to hang out there for a day, they have canoes. The cabin itself has bunks if you want to spend a night inside.

I also enjoyed the Bascom Lodge on Mount Greylock. They have a bunk room with showers there for hikers and the grounds and views are great. I didn't eat in the restaurant. It was pricey but you may like it. The food is supposed to be good. By the way, you can buy snacks, beer and soda at the gift shop. It's worth a short stop at the very least.

I was there last year. I didn't think the terrain was all that hard - even the hike up Greylock (Massachusetts highest mountain) wasn't all that bad.

EDIT: Almost forgot! Be sure to stop in at Diane's Twist when you go through Cheshire, MA. She has great sandwiches and ice cream.

Starchild
08-19-2019, 11:44
If you haven't done the section right before Great Barrington already and can adjust things a bit, I would consider backing you start point to Salisbury CT, the section from Salisbury to Great Barrington is one of most beautiful parts of the trail.

Grampie
08-19-2019, 14:36
Definitely stop at the cabin on Upper Goose Pond. It's one of the best stops on the AT.

Mouser999
08-19-2019, 15:59
There are some steep stairs after Harmon Hill in Vermont to come down leading to RT 9. Across the street on 9 is a parking lot with a privy and water source nearby. The climbs in Mass. are not bad, even up to Greylock. After Greylock, its pretty much downhill to North Adams.

icebeard
08-20-2019, 13:50
Thanks for the responses! I believe I'm going to tackle this section southbound. Going to shoot for 6-7 days to complete!

Astro
08-20-2019, 14:28
Bascom Lodge has a free breakfast of blueberry muffins and coffee for those who buy a bunk the prior night.

rickb
08-20-2019, 18:49
FWIW, the ALDHA gathering is in Williamstown over Columbus Day weekend.

Even if if you are a hermit like me, it has a lot too offer and could be of interest not only to you— or even a non-hard core hiking parter. Presentations are wide ranging, good food at the College mess hall (and in town), good museums for culture vultures. It’s sort of a big deal.

Sarcasm the elf
08-20-2019, 21:59
If you haven't done the section right before Great Barrington already and can adjust things a bit, I would consider backing you start point to Salisbury CT, the section from Salisbury to Great Barrington is one of most beautiful parts of the trail.

Definitely stop at the cabin on Upper Goose Pond. It's one of the best stops on the AT.

I’ll enthusiastically second both of these suggestions.

icebeard
09-06-2019, 11:44
Anyone know if Upper goose pond cabin will be open last week of September?

Slo-go'en
09-06-2019, 16:17
Anyone know if Upper goose pond cabin will be open last week of September?

go to the AMC web site and find out. outdoors.org I believe is the URL.