PDA

View Full Version : TP Use

DebW
02-14-2003, 17:24
This is mostly for the women, prompted by an observation from a hiker that far too much TP is found near trails (and he assumed it was from women). I pressume that most female long-distance hikers have learned to pee in the woods without leaving this stuff behind...

Dirtyoldman
02-15-2003, 08:02
Naw it aint women... its from a bunch of lazy bums who cant walk far enough from the trail and dont even bother to bury it. Almost makes you want to require a LNT certificate for hiking the AT.

smokymtnsteve
02-15-2003, 13:35
when conditions permit I burn mine before burying it.. and yes I know whats LNT inc has to say...even have the LNT trainer certificate.

kathleen meyers classic work onthe subject..entitled

" how to **** in the woods"
should be read by everyone

a special chapter to women

How to not pee in your boots.

Bandana Man
02-16-2003, 03:01
Ladies, I'm a guy but I have my wife's permission to post this!

When we hike together and I go behind a tree to pee, she always says to me, "You men have it so easy. It's not fair!" She means it, too. Although she enjoys the outdoors --- canoeing, hiking, and camping -- she doesn't like having to drop her pants just to pee. Last summer, she bought a Freshette from Campmor. It's like a plastic spout and...well....you get the idea. If you don't get it, look up Freshette on the Campmor website and you will. Anyway, the bottom line is she no longer has to drop her pants just to pee. She is very pleased. She calls it "empowering."

Have to admit that it was more than a little odd watching her use it the first few times. :eek: :confused:

Using the Freshette needs no TP at all. BTW for those times when we need to use TP, we pack it out in Ziplock bags. It's good LNT practice and should be encouraged more IMHO.

MOWGLI
02-16-2003, 08:31
Check out this link! A womans guide on how to pee standing up (without gadgets).

http://www.restrooms.org/standing.html

DebW
02-16-2003, 10:20
I tried that a few times in the shower with limited success. Also tried the TravelMate. But I'm sticking with the squatting approach. Simple, easy, no gadgets, and since I don't use toilet paper, I don't get my hands dirty. I believe in good hydration on the trail, so I pee pretty frequently and don't mind it at all. I think it's you guys who have it tough - you can frostbite you genitals and we women don't have to worry about that. :p

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 11:20
Don't talk about frostbite on the genitals. I'll have nightmares!

Oh, and I always bury my TP very well. I make my cat holes extra wide (but maintain the proper depth for breakdown). Then you can distribute the TP better. I will never pack my TP out. I don't care what people say, it's gross. I'd rather use leaves than being forced to pack my TP out.

What pisses me off is when people don't dig down into the ground in the winter, and come spring you have it strewn all over the place (NASTY!). If I can't get through the snow (which I have everytime but once) I thoroughly burn it. The one time I did this I added some kindling too, thoroughly removing almost every trace of it.

Ann
02-16-2003, 13:23
TP for pee????

I just use a leaf or two in place of TP for the remaining drop or so that might linger. I'm sure there are many other women out there that do the same.

poison_ivy
02-16-2003, 13:31
I don't use it either... I have to pee so many times when I hike it would just be a pain in the neck. Leaves work perfectly fine if something is needed.

-- Ivy

Jumpstart
02-16-2003, 16:09
First, a word of exerienced advice: If you attempt to try the "pee-standing up" technique, practice in the shower first. It's harder than it looks on the website.

Second, hiking in a skirt makes this whole issue much easier to deal with. You don't have to bare your butt to the world, and it can be done pretty discreetly.

Lastly, I used TP the entire trail, and carried it with me. I carried 2 ziplocs in my "bathroom bag": one for the TP and one for used TP. I ditched the "used" bag when I got to town and replaced it with a fresh ziploc. I had considered the "no-TP for pee" route because this was generally how I did it on a overnight trips, and few-day excusions, but when you have days of sweat and "little tiny drops" of build up, BELEIVE ME you stink, and if you can smell it, so can others. It was bad enough to stink like the trail, but stinking like urine was too much for me :) And the chance of grabbing poison ivy, or using rough scratchy leaves in an already tender area, was not appealing to me. :D Good luck!

baseballswthrt
08-30-2004, 07:38
When I pee in the woods, I either don't use anything or carry a specific bandana to dab the few lingering drops! We wash up every night with a clean bandana and water and Dr. Bonner's so there is no lingering smell.

Buckingham
07-19-2005, 11:59
:confused: If a hiker pees in the woods, will a tree make a sound? :confused:

Footslogger
07-19-2005, 12:08
I quit using toilet paper on backpacking trips a long time ago. I carry a freezer strength ziploc with pre-moistened wipes instead. They pack flat and can be used for a lot more than TP.

'Slogger
AT 2003