PDA

View Full Version : Does Bear Spray Work? Maybe it depends.... Interesting article

Uncle Joe
08-27-2019, 21:53
So nearly everything we've been told about bear safety has been hinged on the notion that bear spray is a better defense weapon than a firearm. At least, that's the conclusions many reached. Turns out, it's not really a matter of better. It's a matter of the circumstance. Very good read. The big take-away for me is that there simply wasn't a large data pool on the use of bear spray with charging bears.

Of course, these studies largely dealt with brown bears and black bears are more relevant to the AT. On that note:

The 2010 study “Does Aversive Conditioning Reduce Human-Black Bear Conflict?” found that methods like chasing, rock throwing, or shooting black bears with nonlethal rubber shotgun slugs were as effective as, if not more effective than, pepper spray.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2401248/does-bear-spray-work (https://www.outsideonline.com/2401248/does-bear-spray-work)

LesterC
08-28-2019, 07:54
Good article, looking at what the studies really show and what they do not show. So often, we rely on simplistic conclusions and forget common sense. The last paragraph of the article is so prophetic:

“So, what’s the conclusion here? To me, this isn’t an argument for or against guns or for or against bear spray. It’s an argument that, despite the presence of deterrents, dealing with an aggressive bear encounter does not involve any sure outcomes. Rather than beginning and ending the conversation with a false statement about bear spray’s efficacy, we should instead acknowledge that recreating safely in bear country requires training and knowledge—not dogma.”

I have had several encounters with black bears on the AT, hiking alone and with others. So far I have been lucky. I exercised common sense, awareness, caution. That doesn’t guaranty that I will be so lucky in the future. But following certain rules improves the odds. Travel in groups. Make noise so you don’t surprise the bears. Never try to outrun a bear - you can’t. Don’t challenge a bear but be prepared to use spray and/or walking staff and anything in your possession. Don’t go into bear habitat without such items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LesterC
08-28-2019, 08:09
I should have elaborated on my statement about not challenging a bear and I do so with an example. Several years ago I was hiking alone on the AT near Chattahoochee Gap in Georgia. I came to the top of a mountain and spotted a cub about 40 feet from me. The cub noticed me about the same time I noticed him. The cub was small enough that I knew mama would be close by. Immediately I noticed mama about 30 feet from cub and she was watching me closely. She stood up on her rear legs and studied me more. I did not stare her down. I had read and heard that that may be considered threatening to a bear. I watched her closely through my peripheral vision and slowly walked away from the cub. I continued to watch my back for a couple of hours. Mama never made advances aside from her initial stand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DownYonder
08-28-2019, 10:29
Mace is stronger than bear spray and that is what I carry. I get being humane, I've been a vegetarian for 40+ yrs for that reason. But when it comes to my life or the efficacy of using mace on a bear, the bear is getting maced. I also carry a 9mm as a last resort.

JPritch
08-28-2019, 10:57
That's typically the case with most things....it depends. Regardless of how black and white some people make something seem.

I do know this, personally, I don't carry anything in black bear country (spray when with my daughter though). When I eventually make it out to Grizzly territory, I will be carrying both spray and a firearm. My choice.

JNI64
08-28-2019, 15:50
Yeah me too and somebody that can't run as fast as me!

Hosh
08-28-2019, 20:56
There’s a HUGE difference between black bears versus grizzlies. In grizzly country, multiple cans of bear spray and an appropriate firearm.

Unless it’s a predatory male black bear at night or you’re stuck between mum & cubs in close proximity, moose are far more dangerous.

Standard mace is only effective if it’s fog type, stream sprays will only scare the chimp monks.

As a carnivore, I hear carrots screaming in the night.

For something to live, something must die...Gandhi 1953

rmitchell
08-28-2019, 21:39
A few years ago I had a conversation with a ranger in GSMNP who had worked as an intern in Alaska. As part of a study his job was to go to garbage dumps and antagonize a brown bear then test the effectiveness of different deterrents.

He said some bears seemed to actually like pepper spray.

jefals
08-28-2019, 22:28
a while back a thread on this, it was mentioned that...
a) you're supposed to wait till the bear was pretty close (maybe 20')?, before spraying, and ...
b) it took a few seconds (can't recall exactly how many) for the spray to work.
I remember at the time, doing the math, concluding that the bear could easily cover the distance between you and him before the spray's effectiveness kicks in.
I would think -- if you're an experienced shooter and you have the right weapon and it's you or the bear -- the firearm would be more reliable.
btw -- just addressing the issue, here. Certainly not advocating carrying weapons on the trail. (Me personally? I couldn't hit the side of a barn)!

Hosh
08-28-2019, 22:37
A few years ago I had a conversation with a ranger in GSMNP who had worked as an intern in Alaska. As part of a study his job was to go to garbage dumps and antagonize a brown bear then test the effectiveness of different deterrents.

He said some bears seemed to actually like pepper spray.

Manufacturers discourage spraying it on your tent or belongings. Apparently bears enjoy spicy foods, an accomplished researcher from Oregon U found that grizzlies would wallow in areas sprayed.

Again, huge differences in danger between species. Grizzlies are, and they know it, the apex predator

GoldenBear
08-29-2019, 08:06
> the firearm would be more reliable.

Intelligent people in the outdoors have known since the days of Lewis and Clark that small caliber bullets absolutely do NOT stop a grizzly. It's like the line in Blazing Saddles: "Don't shoot him - that just makes him angry." In other words, no firearm that would be worth the weight is going to stop a grizzly. So it absolutely is NOT more reliable; indeed, it's pretty much worthless. And that's the case even if you're calm enough to get your firearm out of your pack, aim, and make a perfect shot at a moving target in the time a grizzly can come at you.

The advantages of bear spray are (1) unlike handguns, it works; (2) it can be grabbed and aimed in a matter of seconds; (3) it spreads itself across a wide area, meaning you really don't have to aim very well; and (4) there's no chance of an accidental fatality - a danger with handguns FAR greater than the danger from bears.

So you can either carry a hand gun, or be intelligent and carry bear spray.

JNI64
08-29-2019, 08:30
Well I'm certainly not the most intelligent man in the room but when I make it to grizzly country I'll be carrying both and both will be easily ecsesable. That's why you see all those folks walking around Alaska have a 44 mag. On their side.

DownYonder
08-29-2019, 11:25

Intelligent people in the outdoors have known since the days of Lewis and Clark that small caliber bullets absolutely do NOT stop a grizzly. It's like the line in Blazing Saddles: "Don't shoot him - that just makes him angry." In other words, no firearm that would be worth the weight is going to stop a grizzly. So it absolutely is NOT more reliable; indeed, it's pretty much worthless. And that's the case even if you're calm enough to get your firearm out of your pack, aim, and make a perfect shot at a moving target in the time a grizzly can come at you.

The advantages of bear spray are (1) unlike handguns, it works; (2) it can be grabbed and aimed in a matter of seconds; (3) it spreads itself across a wide area, meaning you really don't have to aim very well; and (4) there's no chance of an accidental fatality - a danger with handguns FAR greater than the danger from bears.

"it's pretty much worthless" incorrect: https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5y0ItOjaW

"The advantages of bear spray are (1) unlike handguns, it works"
incorrect: bear spray does not stop the attack 28% of the time. Rubber slug stops attack 100%....see the article in post #1.

BOTH in the woods.

JNI64
08-29-2019, 12:02
Golden bear, I don't want to shoot 1 of your relatives believe me. l just have something about being eaten alive ,be it a rabid animals, a bear or hannibal lecter!

Hosh
08-29-2019, 12:24
Obviously, Golden Bear has thought this through using critical thinking skills and Obviously using a very, very high IQ.

So, for the less unfortunate, really less mentally gifted, we should Obviously not really challenge his opinion. After all, if bear spray was good enough for Lewis & Clark, it should be good enough for the rest of us.

The Cleaner
08-29-2019, 13:05
Never tried it on bears but it will stop an unruly drunken neighbor for sure. As the police explained, the bear spray comes out in a fog able to reach a larger area where as self defense pepper spray comes out in a straight line for an individual's face. Also since it's a "non lethal" option it does not cause any permanent injury which makes it hard for the recipient to press assault charges.

GoldenBear
08-29-2019, 13:07
I was incorrect in stating that low caliber handguns do not stop grizzlies.
I will no longer make that statement, as it is clearly not true.

Thank you for showing me facts that correct my falsehood.

GoldenBear
08-29-2019, 13:13
when I make it to grizzly country I'll be carrying both and both will be easily ecsesable[sic]. That's why you see all those folks walking around Alaska have a 44 mag.

In Alaska while in grizzly territory, I would recommend a rifle over a handgun, but to each his own.

But if you're in grizzly territory outside of Alaska, you're either in Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, or in Canada.
Openly carrying a 44 magnum in ANY of those areas is NOT a good idea, even if you have a permit to own one.

C4web88
08-29-2019, 13:19

Huh......that's weird.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/

Also nobody smart is going to carry a firearm in their pack, it needs to be readily accessible, just like bear spray....the draw stroke for bear spray is very similar to a firearm, so being calm and level headed is a major factor to proper bear spray deployment as well. Wind is also a major factor in effectiveness of bearspray; most areas where you would utilize bearspray happen to be in the high country where winds are more prevalent. I'd encourage people to explore whatever option, if not both, that they're more comfortable with rather than let personal biases come into play. Whatever someone decides, they should prioritize situational awareness and be careful traversing enemy bearritory.

Hosh
08-29-2019, 14:09
In Alaska while in grizzly territory, I would recommend a rifle over a handgun, but to each his own.

But if you're in grizzly territory outside of Alaska, you're either in Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP, or in Canada.
Openly carrying a 44 magnum in ANY of those areas is NOT a good idea, even if you have a permit to own one.

Wouldn’t advocate for open carry waiting on Old Faithful to erupt. But certainly in the Lamar valley backcountry.

Unlike the the east coast, Montana, Wyoming & Idaho have “real” wilderness areas. Not just my phone won’t work wilderness, but we’re a 100 miles from a road wilderness

BradMT
08-29-2019, 19:02
Mace is stronger than bear spray and that is what I carry.

On bears? You are seriously misinformed...

BradMT
08-29-2019, 19:03
Unlike the the east coast, Montana, Wyoming & Idaho have “real” wilderness areas. Not just my phone won’t work wilderness, but we’re a 100 miles from a road wilderness

More misinformation... you've obviously never spent any time in the Adirondacks or Maine.

Hosh
08-29-2019, 19:14
On bears? You are seriously misinformed...

Hum,

https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-whats-difference/

BradMT
08-29-2019, 20:40
Hum,

https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/bear-spray-vs-pepper-spray-whats-difference/

Real “Mace” as developed 50+ years ago does not have Oleoresin Capsicum which is the active, most important ingredient in all bear spray. Today, “Mace” is a company that makes all sorts of defense sprays, some with Oleoresin Capsicum, some without. So the idea that “Mace” is stronger than bear spray is ridiculous. The Mace Co. makes “bear spray” with Oleoresin Capsicum, but it also makes sprays without... The Mace brand of bear spray is no different than any other top tier bear spray.

Hosh
08-29-2019, 20:52
And, the “mace” comprised of OC for personal defensive is stronger than the “mace” aka bear spray that is regulated by the EPA.

KLEENEX= tissue paper= Kleenex

Xerox = copiers = Xerox

Yet again, we are privileged to have yet another WB poster who has tried to demonstrate their mental superiority to the lesser masses.

Remember, keep shooting the puck, the net is out there somewhere.

BradMT
08-29-2019, 20:56
And, the “mace” comprised of OC for personal defensive is stronger than the “mace” aka bear spray that is regulated by the EPA.

KLEENEX= tissue paper= Kleenex

Xerox = copiers = Xerox

Yet again, we are privileged to have yet another WB poster who has tried to demonstrate their mental superiority to the lesser masses.

Remember, keep shooting the puck, the net is out there somewhere.

So which “Mace” was the gentleman above referring to? ... it obviously wasn’t the Mace brand of bear spray.

Good grief, you seem to know as much about bear spray as you do East Coast Wilderness.

DownYonder
08-30-2019, 07:57
So which “Mace” was the gentleman above referring to? ... it obviously wasn’t the Mace brand of bear spray.

Good grief, you seem to know as much about bear spray as you do East Coast Wilderness.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was using the term Mace to cover all Pepper Spray....Kleenex = kleenex. My point is that bear spray is far less powerful than most of the spray sold for personal defense..... "A typical pepper spray used for self defense will have an oleoresin capsicum (OC) concentration of about 10% or higher. A typical bear spray has a oleoresin concentration of about 1-2%" . Read the label before purchasing. I also get the personal defense pepper spray that broadcasts.

BradMT
08-30-2019, 09:44
From Wikepedia... note the bit about OC concentrations... I bolded and italicized those bits.

The active ingredient in pepper spray is capsaicin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin), which is a chemical derived from the fruit of plants in the genus Capsicum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum), including chilis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_pepper). Extraction of oleoresin capsicum (OC) from peppers requires capsicum to be finely ground, from which capsaicin is then extracted using an organic solvent such as ethanol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol). The solvent is then evaporated, and the remaining waxlike resin is the oleoresin capsaicin.

An emulsifier such as propylene glycol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol) is used to suspend OC in water, and the suspension is then pressurized to make an aerosol (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosol) pepper spray. High performance liquid chromatography (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_performance_liquid_chromatography) (HPLC) is used to measure the amount of capsaicin and major capsaicinoids (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicinoid) in pepper sprays.

Determining the strength of pepper sprays made by different manufacturers can be confusing and difficult. Statements a company makes about their product strength are not regulated. A method using the capsaicin and related capsaicinoids (CRC) content of the product is unreliable as well, because there are six different types of capsaicinoids, causing different levels of irritation. Manufacturers do not state which particular type of capsaicinoids are used. Personal pepper sprays can range from a low of 0.18% to a high of 3%. Most law enforcement pepper sprays use between 1.3% and 2%. The federal government of the United States has determined that bear attack deterrent sprays must contain at least 1.0% and not more than 2% CRC. CRC does not measure the amount of OC within the formulation. Instead, CRC is the pain-producing component of the OC that produces the burning sensation.

The federal government of the United States makes no mention of Scoville heat units (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale) (SHU) or OC in their requirements, only CRC (only for bear attack deterrent sprays). But, there are countries (Italy, Portugal and Spain - see below, under "Legality") and a few states within the US that do mention OC limitations. Some manufacturers may show a very high percentage of OC and, although OC is the active ingredient within the formulation, it does not indicate pepper spray strength. High OC percentage also indicates that a spray has more oil content; which, can possibly use lower grade pepper oils (but, more of it), or lower grade capsaicinoids (within the major CRCs) and also has less ability to soak and penetrate skin than a formula with less, but higher-quality, pepper oil, because oil has hydrophobic properties.

The OC percentage measures only the amount of chili oil extract contained in the defense spray, not the strength, pungency or effectiveness of the product. Other companies may show a high SHU. The SHU is a measurement of the base resin compound and not what comes out in the aerosol. The rated irritant effect of the resin may be diluted depending on how much of it is put in the can.

Five Tango
08-30-2019, 09:55
So,should I ditch my can of Counter Assault Bear Spray for some other brand, and if so,which one?
My gutt is telling me to stay with what I've got but if there is something out there stronger with the same or better droplet size,I would like to know.

Next question is,if more powerful "cloud type" spray is available,why has it not already replaced conventional bear spray?

BradMT
08-30-2019, 10:17
So,should I ditch my can of Counter Assault Bear Spray for some other brand, and if so,which one?
My gutt is telling me to stay with what I've got but if there is something out there stronger with the same or better droplet size,I would like to know.

Next question is,if more powerful "cloud type" spray is available,why has it not already replaced conventional bear spray?

Counter Assault, UDAP, it's all good. I have both... packing UDAP now for a 3 day trip in grizzly country.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, recommends using personal defense spray for bears... it's not made for bears.

More reading about NOT using personal defense spray:

http://www.bearsmart.com/play/bear-deterrents/bear-pepper-spray/

Hosh
08-30-2019, 15:21

Sounds like a good question to ask before you start implying people are mis-informed, you know eight grade clarifying question. Bottom line, personal defense pepper spray has a higher concentration of OC than bear spray. Why, because bear spray is regulated by the EPA.

As far wilderness goes, yes I was wrong and you are right, feel better.

There are many more miles of roads in the states I mentioned than upper New England.

Oh look, they moved the net again.

Five Tango
08-30-2019, 15:50
FWIW,I saw on You Tube that Frontiersman Bear Spray is the strongest bear spray on the market and is 50% stronger than police pepper spray.Available on Amazon.Also,it has a 35 foot range.

The observation I have made from videos and research thus far is that in Grizzly Country whatever you use really needs to be in your hand to be effective as the bear can close on you at more than 50 feet per second.That means the bear will cover 100 to 150 feet before some old person(like me) could get it drawn and ready,ditto a holstered fire arm.

BradMT
08-30-2019, 16:52
Sounds like a good question to ask before you start implying people are mis-informed, you know eight grade clarifying question. Bottom line, personal defense pepper spray has a higher concentration of OC than bear spray. Why, because bear spray is regulated by the EPA.

Once again, you're uniformed... speaking of eighth grade reading comprehension, read the articles.

Concentration of OC is not the point... it's the quality and delivery that counts, and personal protection sprays do NOT meet the qualifications for bear spray.

TwistedCF
08-30-2019, 18:27
Wow! Who would have thought bear safety could be such a contentious topic! I for one have actually learned from this thread and based on the reading I've done the only certainty I can see is that when humans are faced with these apex predators (Grizzly) the outcomes are far from certain because the variables are infinite. The only two options for defense seem to be sprays or guns. I don't have any experience dealing with bear encounters but I would like to hike in Grizzly country some day. Growing up in the American South in a hunting family my first reaction when something threatens me, my family, my pets or my livestock is to kill it. When I'm on my property I chop up every Copperhead, Timber Rattler and Cotton Mouth I encounter. I'm not arguing the right or wrong of it, just admitting that's how I deal with snakes at home. I also am aware that I cant do that on some public lands, National and State parks. It was long before my time but I am told we used to have Black Bear and Cougar in my home state and the reason we no longer do is because a lot of people who came before me had the attitude "if it threatens, kill it". My neighbors routinely trap and butcher feral hogs because they destroy farmland. If beavers flood farm land they get trapped into submission. "Harvesting" coyotes is practically a sport in cattle country. This is how things have been done for a long time in rural and urban areas when wildlife "encroaches" on us.
The draw of the wilderness areas is the fact that it is wilderness. The untamed wildness is what makes us want to go to those places and when we do we are encroaching on the last strongholds of the wild things. I will let others debate the morality of it but I will admit that in the moment, if I'm faced with saving a human life, even my own, at the cost of an animals life, I would chose to destroy the animal. I don't want to be in that situation so before I venture into Brown Bear territory I will educate myself with the most up to date, factual information about the best practices to avoid bear confrontation.
As for everyone who has strongly held beliefs about the potency of the now ubiquitous 9mm parabellum and its virtues or lack thereof compared to .44 magnum or .500SW all I can say is....you would fit right in at my local watering hole:D

Traveler
08-31-2019, 06:40
Clearly an unbearable debate....

greensleep
08-31-2019, 09:44
Clearly an unbearable debate....

just bear with us.

martinb
08-31-2019, 10:39
FWIW,I saw on You Tube that Frontiersman Bear Spray is the strongest bear spray on the market and is 50% stronger than police pepper spray.Available on Amazon.Also,it has a 35 foot range.

The observation I have made from videos and research thus far is that in Grizzly Country whatever you use really needs to be in your hand to be effective as the bear can close on you at more than 50 feet per second.That means the bear will cover 100 to 150 feet before some old person(like me) could get it drawn and ready,ditto a holstered fire arm.

And be able to get off a kill shot because if you are off, bye-bye. I carry Frontier spray and have good confidence hat it will work in most situations. Sure, there's alway a chance you will run into a bear that is going to be immune to the spray. Nothing in life is guaranteed, except taxes and death.

Five Tango
08-31-2019, 19:18
This gentleman was attacked TWICE by the same bear and gives a first hand account of the experience.Note his summary comment,"Bear Spray is better than nothing".Had he shot her and wounded her with the pistol I can't help but wonder if she would have broken off the attack at that point ;likely not as a wounded animal is always bad news.The good news is that she made her point and broke it off.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQAhKrOOww

Five Tango
08-31-2019, 19:39
Here's a black bear attack that ended with one survivor and one fatality.Gruesome but worth watching.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h70Pxh-pCWw

I am inclined to believe bear spray could have stopped this one.

mateozzz
09-01-2019, 15:24
Could someone make a hiking pole that can shoot bear spray?

Uncle Joe
12-15-2019, 20:40
The point of the article is that the two studies that led to the widely held conclusion that bear spray is more effective were never meant to prove that and, in fact, don't. They were separate studies done to determine separate things.

perdidochas
12-16-2019, 14:52
Real “Mace” as developed 50+ years ago does not have Oleoresin Capsicum which is the active, most important ingredient in all bear spray. Today, “Mace” is a company that makes all sorts of defense sprays, some with Oleoresin Capsicum, some without. So the idea that “Mace” is stronger than bear spray is ridiculous. The Mace Co. makes “bear spray” with Oleoresin Capsicum, but it also makes sprays without... The Mace brand of bear spray is no different than any other top tier bear spray.

Not talking about brands, but about strength of the OC. Bear Spray is limited in OC concentration to a lower level than pepper spray intended for humans. Bear spray is limited to 1-2% OC, while human pepper spray can be up to 3%.

perdidochas
12-16-2019, 14:55

Because it's not approved for use with bears. The EPA says bear spray can only be from 1-2% OC.

Time Zone
12-16-2019, 19:37
Not talking about brands, but about strength of the OC. Bear Spray is limited in OC concentration to a lower level than pepper spray intended for humans. Bear spray is limited to 1-2% OC, while human pepper spray can be up to 3%.
That's interesting. I thought bear spray would be stronger; indeed, the bear spray I have is 50% stronger than my pepper spray (2.00% major capsacinoids vs. 1.33%).

Time Zone
12-16-2019, 19:38
Could someone make a hiking pole that can shoot bear spray?

I'm pretty sure Desmond Llewelyn could do it, but you're going to have a hard time reaching him.

mverville
12-21-2019, 21:00
Check out the Interagency grizzly bear committee, igbconline.org.
Bear spray works. It’s the most effective deterrent. Ask anybody who lives in Montana.
If you carry a gun, you only need 1 bullet and it ain’t for the bear.

Time Zone
12-22-2019, 08:55
FWIW -

I had a can of bear spray that was near its expiry. A couple days ago, at the start of a dayhike, I decided to discharge it in the woods before throwing it away, and observing how far it sprayed. The can I bought was to spray at least 30 feet. This minimum distance was expected to be met until the expiration date; afterwards, the distance declines.

I paced off 30 feet, checked that any wind was at my back (about 3 mph tops), and it sprayed about 15 feet before diffusing to such an extent that it was not possible to consider the drift as a directed spray any longer.

While it was fairly cool out (42F), the can had just come from a climate-controlled car. I doubt it cooled significantly by the time I walked to the wooded area.

Needless to say, I'm questioning whether it is worth replacing this can or not. Not on the grounds of whether the 2.0% major capsaicinoids deter bears, but whether the spray distance can be relied upon - might this spray have been good for 30' year one, 25' year 2, 20' year 3, and 15' in this past year? Plus, consider drift. Obviously you can't control whether a bear that needs to be deterred is downwind or not. The fogging nature of the spray is nice from an aiming perspective, but it seems like a hindrance to getting good distance from the spray.

About half the time I hike in established (black) bear country. I know that the vast majority of black bear encounters are likely to be benign. But I'm willing to carry several extra ounces for insurance against those uncommon exceptions.