PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have trail envy?

lilmountaingirl
03-06-2006, 16:32
It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there! I thought Trail Fever was bad, but Trail Envy is even worse! The combination of the two is killing me. :o

I'm passing the time working on my website, planning, packing, re-packing, re-planning, and talking about it to anyone who will listen (which included the girl who cut my hair this morning, and she didn't want to listen but she couldn't very well get away from me either). :D

Footslogger
03-06-2006, 16:36
[quote=lilmountaingirl]It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there!
===========================================
Just wait until your hike is over and Springer Fever hits the following year. The envy cycle starts all over again ...

'Slogger

khaynie
03-06-2006, 16:56
[quote=lilmountaingirl]It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there!
===========================================
Just wait until your hike is over and Springer Fever hits the following year. The envy cycle starts all over again ...

'Slogger

I've got the fever again. Heading to Amicalola this Wednesday and hiking N until Sat or Sun. Hopefully, this will curb my Springer Envy...

Good Luck lilmountaingirl - your time will be here before you know it!

max patch
03-06-2006, 17:07
It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there! I thought Trail Fever was bad, but Trail Envy is even worse! The combination of the two is killing me.

The waiting is tough, but keep telling yourself that you are leaving Springer on THE BEST DATE you could possibly choose to start a thru. You will walk with Spring and finish in Maine in the Fall -- perfect hiking conditions.

RLC_FLA
03-06-2006, 17:09
We're going to do the Ga section, again, starting out April 16th. We'll be bringing our friend with us who has only done the Approach Trail to springer and back last Nov.

We're handling all of the logistics, food etc, so we have gear, and everything else in piles all over the house.

We can hardly wait, and we've done this before!!!!

RLC_FLA
GAME->89

dje97001
03-06-2006, 17:12
I just want to skip over the next three weeks (all of the logistical hassles of moving out and wrapping up loose ends). I can't wait for the hike, but I'm hoping (as we are expecting temps near the 60's up here toward the end of the week) that every week we wait will reduce the number of snowstorms and below freezing temps we'll have to endure! Afterall, as hard as it is to think about right now, my wife and I picked 4/1 to try and avoid the harshest stuff.:o

This is going to be an awesome, awesome trip!:banana

Trooper347
03-06-2006, 17:16
Trail envy does not even cover what I am going thru right now. I sold my truck. I have packed and re-packed three times a day for a week now, trying to get different/lower weights. All I am waiting on now is my credit card to come in the mail. Talk about frustrating! Officially I have 12 days to go, but I may just hop a bus as soon as the card arrives. Best wishes to all those that are waiting to start, whatever the reason may be!

kyhipo
03-06-2006, 17:25
Thats a understatement,I have had two dates to start allready and had to cancell both due to family prioritys its killen me,I always get frustrated around this time of year,like a bear coming out of the den in spring,ready to roll baby...ky:eek:

JJB
03-06-2006, 17:32
Now boston that's just causing trouble.Ha! Let see if it gets him going though. But I am definately jealous of all you being able to do a thru though. I am trying to get a Long Trail trip in this year. It's about all the time/money I will have this year. Happy trails and good luck to every one!!!peace. J.J.B.

Fiddler
03-06-2006, 17:34
Envy? You kidding? Remember when you were 6 or 8 and seen another little kid with an ice cream cone or new toy and you had no money?

I wanted go this year but can't now due to circumstances, so I'm hopeful for 2007. Although there is a slight possibility it will be 2008. So yes, I am envious of all those that are making the attempt this year. Not jealous, because I know my time is coming. But full of envy. But next year (hopefully) or '08 there will be many who will be envious of me, so I guess it all comes out even in the and.

kyerger
03-06-2006, 17:43
All this waiting is killing me too! I still have 2 months 28 days to wait. I got to finshish nuursing school so I doing a flip flop starting in SNP on June 4th. The school comes first then the hike. The AT is something I have wanted to do all my life and this is the year! I cant wait to be in SNP with all you north bounders so get going north. See you all there in June. Dont go past me so fast cause I will be slow.

Spirit Walker
03-06-2006, 18:00
The worst envy is not being able to hike at all. Remember last year? Next year will be even worse.

Knowing that you are going this year, but have to wait a few weeks or months is just frustrating. Patience is not my strong suit. I still have about seven weeks before we can be on the trail. I'm climbing the walls, big time. At work I plan schedules that will be thrown out as soon as we hit the trail, and drift box lists so I can figure out which maps go in which box, and I call everyone I can think of to change our mailing address and turn off utilities and phones, etc. and worry about what we still need to buy at REI with our dividend etc. I'm counting down the days until we close on the house, until I can give notice, until I leave my job, and until we're actually on the trail. Too many - I get them confused. Two weeks, three weeks, five weeks, and seven weeks. Life will be so much simpler when we are actually hiking.

Left Hand
03-06-2006, 18:07
Eight long, long, infinitely, long days left until I start my thru; it's worse then waiting for the last day of school as a kid.

Will it ever get here?

jlb2012
03-06-2006, 18:28
I envy you lilmountaingirl - I have 1201 days left until I can retire and then either do a SOBO or some sort of a flipflop.

Jaybird
03-06-2006, 18:54
It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there! I thought Trail Fever was bad, but Trail Envy is even worse!..........etc,etc,etc,............ :D

even with us SECTION-HIKERS....SPRINGER FEVER gets HARD-CORE several times a year!:D

....especially seeing all you guys heading out.....envy, envy,envy!

Doctari
03-06-2006, 22:54
Hope this makes you feel better:

You have to wait less than 40 days,

I on the other hand am likely to have to wait 5,119 days till I can thru. BUT, I am also already packed :rolleyes:

So, it's not as bad as It could be :p

You could be me.

Doctari.

Doctari
03-06-2006, 22:57
BTW: I have been planning to thru since before you were born :eek:

So, anytime you are feeling bad on the trail (and you will) remember that a bad day on the trail is better than a good day anywhere else.

Have fun, think of us at home people from time to time.

Doctari the jelous!

neo
03-06-2006, 22:59
I'm pretty sure neo is jealous of minnesotasmith.

wrong answer lol:cool: neo

little bear
03-06-2006, 23:24
im jealous of all you guy able to go. my wife is still in school and i am the only source of income so it is hard to sit here and watch everyone talk about leaving. im like fiddler hopefully i can go next year but it will probably be 2008.

All the members of Class of 2006 best of luck and my prayers are with you.

Happy Hikes
Little Bear

Wolf - 23000
03-07-2006, 03:27
I don't have trail envy? I only think about hiking every day, every night. I call people on the phone or spend hours on the intenet just to talk trail. My co-workers are afraid, I might tell them yet another hiking story. My boss is always afraid I may get lost out there and not come back.

As hikers leave, I only count down the days when I can join them after completing a mountain of paperwork.

I keep telling me soon, soon, soon I'll be out there but I don't have trail envy.

Wolf

The General
03-07-2006, 06:24
I have it bad, it's been that way since I Thru Hiked in 2004. This time last year was horendous as I sat in front of my Computer in Baghdad thinking why am I here when there are trails to be hiked. I followed Journals this year and dreamed. Worked on the wife the last two years and will hike again in 2007. So I'm counting the days when I shall cross the pond and step off from Springer once again on the great adventure. 385 days to go.

Pennsylvania Rose
03-07-2006, 13:00
The big green monster is alive and well in me. I've been wanting to thru since I hiked Springer to Erwin in 1990. Started a family the following year, and the youngest just turned four. So I'll wait ten more years at least.

I was going to hike Georgia with the oldest kids next month, but I tore up my knee and am in physical therapy. So probably no trip. UGH!!!

JoeHiker
03-07-2006, 13:37
You think you have it bad. My vacation time is so booked up I'm not going to be able to go hiking for more than a year. Not even for a weekend

Trail Yeti
03-07-2006, 13:41
I've got it really bad.....but Spring Break is next week so i'll be out somewhere.....

Tin Man
03-07-2006, 14:15
Hope this makes you feel better:

You have to wait less than 40 days,

I on the other hand am likely to have to wait 5,119 days till I can thru. BUT, I am also already packed :rolleyes:

So, it's not as bad as It could be :p

You could be me.

Doctari.

And I thought I had a long way to go: only 4,741 days for me!

Happy Trails Class of '06!

ZEKE #2
03-08-2006, 10:21
I used to count how long to wait in years (3). This April 1st I can start counting down the months (24). Months go way faster than years and I can finally say that my count down has started. April 1st, 2008. 24 months. So much to do, but I think there is so much fun and excitement just in the planning and training.
I envy those who are so fortunate to live somewhere near the trail. Here in Wisconsin the land is flat and the you need to travel quite far to get to the wilderness.
Good luck to the hikers of 2006! :banana

Left Hand
03-08-2006, 14:37
Man, I have seven days left. Hurry, hurry! :banana

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 14:43
only 385 days left, can't wait

crackwhore
03-08-2006, 20:20
I cannot go until the end of this semester (5/10/06). I am thru-hiking in three months because I have to student teach in the fall. I am going to work on my mileage next week. I will try a 250 mile trail in seven days. Wish me luck!!

Heater
03-08-2006, 21:44
It sure is hard watching everyone go and knowing that I have to wait until 4/15 before I'm there! I thought Trail Fever was bad, but Trail Envy is even worse! The combination of the two is killing me. :o

I'm passing the time working on my website, planning, packing, re-packing, re-planning, and talking about it to anyone who will listen (which included the girl who cut my hair this morning, and she didn't want to listen but she couldn't very well get away from me either). :D

Consider yourself lucky you are going this year. I have March, 20th 2007 wriiten down as my start date.

okiedoo
06-28-2006, 10:09
envy and jealous icant wait ive been dreaming of the wonderful walk of the ages for way to long best of luck to this year and next year but 08 s i see out there