PDA

View Full Version : taking first timers hiking?

SGTdirtman
03-07-2006, 01:05
Every year around my birthday me and 2 of my friends having been doing the NJ section as sort of a tradition now... This year however I'm bringing 2 extra people who have never hiked before, 1 has never really even camped before and I've been put in charge of planning this ordeal.

Normally we will hike 15-20 miles a day but now I've got 2 people who have never done it before and I dont want the trip to be brutal for them. We are on a time schedule and theres no camping in many areas so our daily miles have to be somewhat calculated to get to specific points and reach the end in time. obviously this means we cant just "walk untill someones tired".

So what would you considering a good daily mileage for someone who's never hiked? and advice on how to plan this out so it'll be comfortable and fun foreverone...the one guy has never done anything like this at all, never even camped out in the yard as a kid. He's excited but I'm worried and really wanna make this a fun experiance so they will hike with us again.

Advice?

greentick
03-07-2006, 01:29
Good footwear
Chocolate to boost morale
In GA I found that planning to make about 1.2mph (trail) if you are not in hiking shape to be reasonable.
Decent food.

A couple of years ago I took my newly 10 year old son on a loop around Blood Mtn in late December. It was really cold. However, I have a different perception of the environment because of lots of field time in all conditions (as I am sure you have). Anyhow, I was loving the cold and manageble misery. My boy OTOH was chilled and a little down. Since we just were doing an overnight and heavy packs didn't bother me I whipped out a surprise: chili fixins. I fired up the stove dumped in a can of beans, tomatoes, bag of corn, beef jerky and a bag of seasoning. It is the main thing he remembers about that hike and when we did one this year his first question was "are we having chili." We didn't.

My point is you may want to pack a decent meal for the first night out, or an adult beverage, or whatever. By the second night they will start getting into field/trail mode and the niceties may not be as necessary. Some extra weight on your part may make these guys trip and the next time they can bring whatever, or you use the intervening time to dole out your experience.

I have recently addicted two of my brother-in-laws and a buddy from school to the AT. They have all camped and done some hiking, but they had no clue on packing. They brought way way too much stuff and loaded it all wrong. If your newbies are willing you may want to do a "layout inspection" (I didn't say TA50.) and toss stuff you know will be unnecessary or that is excessive. I was/am also the planner for our hikes. On the first, I even did a tongue in cheek oporder with plenty of comedy. However, there was a packing list that I followed to a "t" - well, it was my list. Oh boy did they bring a pile of stuff. They are a little more open after haulin too much.

SGTdirtman
03-07-2006, 04:11
Funny everytime we go I write an op order which is usually given out as a joke a couple days before we leave... :D

Im gonna try to do a packing list just for them, but like your brother-in-laws I'm expecting them to show up with way to much junk no matter what I say. I remeber my first hiking trip... I had to learn the hard way

gsingjane
03-07-2006, 08:08
On our firxt backpacking trips, we made between 6-8 mpd. That was with some elevation gain but not mountains. I would think that unless your partners are in excellent shape, 10 mpd is going to be an upper limit.

Jane in CT

Alligator
03-07-2006, 11:45
10 miles per day. No more. You get one chance to make a first impression. I'd go over their gear with a fine tooth comb. Perhaps, rather than the traditional hike, go somewhere new! Then you won't be as concerned about the miles you know you could make otherwise.

Suggestions-A light tarp if available. Five people could all hang out together even if it is raining. Share as much gear as possible. Bring a sleeve of earplugs.

longshank
03-07-2006, 12:53
8-10 miles a day. I took a friend on a section hike from 10 mile river in Conn. northbound and he completely cracked on the way to the Mt. Algo shelter. After breakfast in Kent, we took the road back to ten mile and decided to catch the train to the city at the AT station in NY state. He never made it to the train. He freaked out and walked off on some road leaving me to finish the return on my own. He was muttering nonsensically, saying things like "no more up, no more up" and "what did the mountain ever do to me, why should we attack it. there's no reason,...etc., etc." He drank all the bourbon the first night, and ate most of his food as well. Be carefull taking first timers, it can really be a disaster. Plan something easy-peasy. Most people think that you'll just hike to a cool spot and hang out, no matter what you tell them it's really going to be like.

Mags
03-07-2006, 13:48
Every year, I organize a beginners backpacking trip. I take about one dozen people of varying experience out into the backcountry. Some people have only backpacked a handful of times and want to go with someone who has some experience and knows what they are doing (I sure fooled them! :D), some have NEVER backpacked at all.

First, I make them read a little primer I threw together:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=33

It is not meant for AT thru-hikers, but for people new to backpacking. Seems to work.

The night before the trip, I get everyone together. Look at the gear, make adjustments, often time repack the gear! :) I try to coordinate who needs to share a stove, tent, etc.

The following Saturday we hike. Usually no more than 5-7 miles. I try to pick a place that has some good views, not too hard terrain and is easily accessible. The following day we hike out and celebreate by having breakfast.

I organized this hike one year, and I was one of two guys...and 8 women. I wasn't complaining. :)

So, if for a few friends I'd do a less formal version. Definitely make a basic pack list as it will make your job easier, look over the gear the night before, (grab some pizza and beer!), and pick a place that has a nice view to effort ratio for your destination. You want people to have a great time, not get discouraged and enjoy the wonderful past time of backpacking.

vipahman
03-07-2006, 14:36
Good shoes would be my first recommendation. Since the NJ section is quite rocky in most places (as you know), I would recommend about 10mpd max. Another important thing for a newbie is the scenic views along the trail. Try to choose a section that has a lot of scenic viewpoints and/or interesting side trails. And of course, on the overnight, don't put them in their own tent unless that's what they want. Newbies get the creeps from any and every sound. Get thick sleeping pads too because you want them to be comfortable the first night. A bad night's sleep to be a major turnoff for many a newbie.

Between the scenic views, comfortable hike and short distances, and comfortable sleep they will have a great experience. Good luck.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 14:38
I learned my lesson years ago. I never take new hikers on an extended hike, especially one involving a pack. The best thing is for them to go on several, if not many, day hikes. I had a cousin, experienced, bring a new-by on an overnight hike from GA 76, Dicks Creek Gap to Unicoi Gap. Got 4 miles in and the guy had blisters so bad he had to walk back out in flip flops, with us carrying his stuff, end of trip.

Almost There
03-07-2006, 18:24
Ridge,

Rough hike for a newbie!!!:D

My suggestion is to let the newbie LEAD!!! Follow behind and hike at their pace. My wife is a dayhiker soon to be overnighter and if I hike out in front all I end up doing is pissing her off as my pace is over 2mph in Georgia. If I don't focus on distance, etc. and just relax and let her lead then she decides when to stop and rest and as a result the hike is much more enjoyable for the both of us. Remember we want them to enjoy the trail as much as we do...not come to hate it!!!

RockyTrail
03-07-2006, 19:25
When you take people out on their first time backpacking, it's got to be all about them and none about you.
It's a noble thing to do, but it requires sacrifice and restraint on your part.
The trick is to do it without them realizing you're "holding back" or they likely won't be back.

But now get them hooked, and then one day both of you might get to do 20 mile days together:sun

vipahman
03-07-2006, 20:15
My suggestion is to let the newbie LEAD!!!
That's a very good point too. This way you stay at their pace and don't have to keep checking back on them.

SGTdirtman
03-07-2006, 20:37
When you take people out on their first time backpacking, it's got to be all about them and none about you.
It's a noble thing to do, but it requires sacrifice and restraint on your part.
The trick is to do it without them realizing you're "holding back" or they likely won't be back.

But now get them hooked, and then one day both of you might get to do 20 mile days together:sun

Exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, I dont wanna make them think I'm a know-it-all because I'm certainly not, but I do know from experiance that it takes a few trips to learn how to pack properly and everthing so its not a crappy experiance. My goal is to get everyone out and have a good time. and avoid them having to experience what I did my first hiking trip.

I would take them out on a shorter trip first but I dont have time, were going for 5 days and it was originally going to be 88 miles before the 2 new guys decided to come. I have cut that down to 43 miles in 5 days which is crawling to me but I dont mind at all because I get more time to take pictures and enjoy the sights. We have to do one 11 mile day, theres no way around it and thats the max mileage I have planned for a single day.