PDA

View Full Version : Devils's Racecourse

Countyline
09-09-2019, 10:49
So I'm planning a section hike from Front Royal to Pen-Mar Park. My only remaining question is one I ought to be able to figure out but I thought it easier to just come to the source of all good information first. My question is about the Devil's Racecourse. I understand it is a large boulder field but what I don't know is how it interacts/intersects/overlaps with the AT itself. Does the AT just cross the field and if so for what distance? Does it follow the entire length of the field? Or is it just in proximity to the boulder field and it is essentially a side trip? It doesn't look like a lot of fun to hike for any extended period of time. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

peakbagger
09-09-2019, 11:16
Been a long time but I think you had to drop off the ridge line to get down to it. Its special due to where its located but to someone like myself who lives in the whites its nothing special.

Crossup
09-09-2019, 11:42
Not on the trail, but for me it was worthwhile diversion due to the water running under it, I've never seen such before. Anyway here's a video to give you a better idea of what you may or maynot be missing:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/129482-Raven-Rock.

Crossup
09-09-2019, 11:44
Forgot to say, scroll to down to KaptainKris's post

RockDoc
09-10-2019, 00:35
I know there are places in PA with that name, but Devils Racecourse is also a general name for the landscape feature. These boulder fields are remnants of the periglacial ice age environment, south of the glacial limit (near Delaware Water Gap). So these are a climatic indicator. Sort of cool to think they are this old... over 10,000 years since they actively accumulated.

Old Grouse
09-10-2019, 10:33
My grandfather, a crusty old New Hampshire farmer, used to say of rocky ground, "The Devil really tipped his apron when he came through here."

Berserker
09-10-2019, 13:33
Not on the trail, but for me it was worthwhile diversion due to the water running under it, I've never seen such before. Anyway here's a video to give you a better idea of what you may or maynot be missing:

What Crossup said and what's in the thread he linked to. It's on a side trail off the AT near the Raven Rock Shelter.

Bati
09-10-2019, 17:20
So I'm planning a section hike from Front Royal to Pen-Mar Park. My only remaining question is one I ought to be able to figure out but I thought it easier to just come to the source of all good information first. My question is about the Devil's Racecourse. I understand it is a large boulder field but what I don't know is how it interacts/intersects/overlaps with the AT itself. Does the AT just cross the field and if so for what distance? Does it follow the entire length of the field? Or is it just in proximity to the boulder field and it is essentially a side trip? It doesn't look like a lot of fun to hike for any extended period of time. I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Are you confusing this with the Devil's Marbleyard, which is a boulder field in Virginia near the James River? if so, the AT is at the top, and this is a side trail.

Kaptainkriz
09-10-2019, 18:00
Thanks for the mention! The Devil's Racecourse is a side trail East down past the spring at that area. The AT does not cross it. The Raven Rock Shelter is quite nice and if you are staying there anyway, and going down to the spring...walk a little farther. The rocks are pretty cool to visit.