PDA

View Full Version : Maildrops and Resupply

wildernessman
03-07-2006, 01:32
Hey everyone! Ok I have a few questions about our resupply.
1. First of all we are using 21 maildrops. Is that way to many? Seems like most people are using less. Are the drops more of a hassle than its worth? We've only just begun to put them together so its not to late too just say screw it and buy along the way.
2. Secondly, is $6-$8 per day per person enough to resupply on in town?
We are using hostels in order to save some money but I was wondering if $10/person "town money" was enough to treat ourselves a little and keep our spirits lifted. towns where we stay two nights would get $20.

I know all pre hike plans are extremely tentative, and almost always change, I just wanted to get some info on what other people spent in town and things like that. Thanks!

Sly
03-07-2006, 01:53
It's my opinion you have to buy in bulk and package your own meals in order to save money when you consider postage doing maildrops. I think if you buy along the way and supplement your store bought menu with hiker boxes you'd be better off. However, this takes a bit of disipline. It's very easy to blow your budget early on. Atleast if you have maildrops up the trail, you'll be able to complete it if you stay focused and healthy.

$8 per day should be enough to eat on the trail but, $10 per town stop is cutting it close. The Appalachians aren't Afghanistan. If you can double it, you'd be better off.

So, a little math... $8X150=$1200, $20X30=$600. $1200+$600=$1800. If you hike faster, or don't spend $8 per day or don't stop in 30 towns you'll have some left over ICE or feel like splurging.

Dharma
03-07-2006, 09:45
Hey everyone! Ok I have a few questions about our resupply.
1. First of all we are using 21 maildrops. Is that way to many? Seems like most people are using less. Are the drops more of a hassle than its worth? We've only just begun to put them together so its not to late too just say screw it and buy along the way.
I spent about ~$20-22 in town for four days of food in '04. I sent myself two drops from the trail. It was great buying as I went and not having to care if the PO was open when I would arrive in town. One less thing to do and one less thing to schedule for.

2. We are using hostels in order to save some money but I was wondering if $10/person "town money" was enough to treat ourselves a little and keep our spirits lifted.
You're planning on having downed spirits?

Definately up the town money. I can't give you a figure, but it seems like I spent more in town. You'll eat like crazy and always go for the hot tubs.

Peaks
03-07-2006, 09:55
21 mail drops. That's certainly more than most. There are plenty of threads about mail drops and resupply. I'd read those, and then really reconsider the number of mail drops.

If you budget $7.00 per day, and take 150 days to hike the AT, that's only about $1000. Even if you double the amount to $14.00 per day, it's only $2000. And that's going on the cheap. Better to plan on spending at least $3000, or say $20 per day per person.

ARambler
03-07-2006, 10:46
21 mail drops. That's certainly more than most. ...
While this is a fact, I don't think it is "true".

If you hike 150 days and have 20 resupplies, that is 7.5 days per resupply. More than a week between resupply may be common on the PCT but is unheard of on the AT. I sent 33 mail drops and hiked past 3 of them that I didn't need or were in a PO on the weekend.

"Most" hikers only use mail drops to bridge a couple of sections with few/poor stores and to occasionally add some variety. Most hikers use 5 or less maildrops. Lots of hikers start on a 30 mail drop schedule and switch to exclusively town resupply. Note, there are more hostels in the south, and this makes it easier to use mail drops in the beginning of a NOBO. (Make sure the hostel accepts mail (UPS) drops.)

For you, I would recommend switching to Town resupply. You don't seem to be gaining much value from mail drops.

DavidNH
03-07-2006, 10:49
wow thats a lot of drops. I plan to buy along the way mostly...that way less prep work, easier to modify menu etc.

Just buying that much food.. re packaging it and boxing it up and sending it out ..sounds like a several week full time job! whose got the time? Even an at home support person only has so much time.

I wonder..has anyone thru hike the AT with Zero mail drops? just wondering if it can be done.

Myself.. I am going with just 2 0r 3 drops..and two more postal visits to exchange cold warm weather gear and vice versa.

David

Doctari
03-08-2006, 10:38
I have 6 drops for sure, and 2 maybees. I think only 3 are actually "set in stone" so to speak. The rest are to get "Neat stuff" I think I'll want along the way.

If you have already bought all your stuff, DON'T SEND IT YET! Also, don't seal the boxes yet. Send out the first one as leaving for the trail, have someone else send the rest AFTER you call them. The reason for this is: that (name of item here) you love/crave today, may suck after the 47th time in a row you have it on the trail. Or you may decide that you really want (name of item here) NOW!!!

If you decide you don't need all 21 drops, save the stuff for next trip.

HINT: store ANYTHING with: perfume, strong smell/taste Well away from any food. No matter how well wrapped either/both items are. Trust me, laundry soap (or shampoo, hand soap, deodorant, bug spray, etc.) flavored Mac N Cheese is really really really really really really BAD! In my case, the taste went/migrated thru 4 zip locks, 2 for the soap, & 2 for the Noodles. Freezer zip locks. This transfer took a while, (stuff stored about 9 months) not sure how long exactly, anyway it was awful! Fortunatly, It was discovered on a one night trip near home.

Doctari.

digger51
03-08-2006, 12:40
I might recommend starting with only a coule of mail drops for the south. Stores are easily available every 3 to 5 days. Unless you plan on specialty meals you can get all you need along the way. Since I only got as far north as New York I can't speak for that part of the trail. I plan to put a couple of extra meals in my bounce box with the personal items i like to have handy in town.
As for the cost issue, definitely plan on more in town. Many places don't have hostels and you will pay around $40 average in the south for a room and much more in the north. Check the Companion or Wingnuts book for the availability in towns. You can save while hiking as I did in 2001. I ate mostly mac and cheese or other pasta that cost about 70 cents a box with some soup and such, and managed on little cost.
Whatever you decide, have a good hike and enjoy the trail.