PDA

View Full Version : Preparation Paralysis

RedneckRye
03-07-2006, 09:13
Anyone else experience this???

I'm headed to Springer in 3 days for a month of hiking up to Erwin, I've got most of my stuff in a pile, I've got food to start with plus a couple of drops worth to send out in another random pile. Really no organization at all. I also have to get most of my stuff in my place boxed up and moved down into the basement as a friend is moving in as soon as I am gone. On top of the AT stuff, I still have logistics to get arranged for my PCT hike which starts at the end of April. I will be back here for about 2 weeks between the 2 hikes, so the PCT stuff isn't super important to get done in the next 72 hours, but damn - I should be doing something constructive right now. In the hour and a half before I have to leave for work, I could probably get my food sorted, repackaged, and boxed.

OR...I could play around here for a bit, drink some coffee, read the paper and watch SportsCenter.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 09:16
Wait til next Wednesday. Me, B. Jack, That Guy and Miss Janet will be at Springer.

Cheesewhiz
03-07-2006, 10:09
are you still starting Springer on the 22 from the fire road or the approach trail. You are starting your reunion hike , huh? I will be there on the 22 and hope to see ya there.

RedneckRye
03-07-2006, 10:18
I'm starting from Amicalola Saturday the 11th, sleep on top of Springer saturday night, plan on getting up to Janet's sometime around April 7-10th. As far as a reunion, I'm sure I'll run into some folks I know, maybe even some from 99 or 98, but nothing really planned. There were six or eight 99'ers at the Doyle last weekend. Old friends are great, meeting new ones is even better.

Cheesewhiz
03-07-2006, 10:28
Im sorry Redneckrye, i guess i should have been a little clearer. the post was directed towards Lone wolf. I hear you on the planning paralasis. I gave up on planning. I know what towns(?) somewhat I need maildrops other than that I am starting with 4 days food and going from there. Me on the other hand I over planned and got sick of planning and more planning until I gave up but it did me good, I know the towns and what they have pretty well.

DavidNH
03-07-2006, 10:43
Anyone else experience this???

I'm headed to Springer in 3 days for a month of hiking up to Erwin, I've got most of my stuff in a pile, I've got food to start with plus a couple of drops worth to send out in another random pile. Really no organization at all. I also have to get most of my stuff in my place boxed up and moved down into the basement as a friend is moving in as soon as I am gone. On top of the AT stuff, I still have logistics to get arranged for my PCT hike which starts at the end of April. I will be back here for about 2 weeks between the 2 hikes, so the PCT stuff isn't super important to get done in the next 72 hours, but damn - I should be doing something constructive right now. In the hour and a half before I have to leave for work, I could probably get my food sorted, repackaged, and boxed.

OR...I could play around here for a bit, drink some coffee, read the paper and watch SportsCenter.

wow this sure rings a bell with me. My thru hike starts 14 days from today and I leave NH in 13 days. I got stuff all over the place.. food in shopping bags, more food to buy and I fret over it every day. If only I could relax and just get it done. Somehow I have this feeling that the hardest aspect of a long distance hike is the prep work to get on the trail.. once started the hike is much more fun!

David

DavidNH.

Just Jeff
03-07-2006, 10:50
Is preparation such a big deal for people who don't do mail drops? Seems like you'd just need to grab your pack, go to Amicalola, and read the companion as you hike...just read a week ahead and you'll be able to plan food stops along the way. Am I wrong?

Do maildrops really add that much stress to the preparation process?

Spirit Walker
03-07-2006, 11:10
Maildrops really do make a difference.

Of course, the confusion comes either now, before you get on the trail, or while you're on the trail when you're faced with a strange grocery store and you're trying to figure out how much food is enough for five days. Some people would rather deal with it before their hike, others prefer to deal with it while they're hiking.

I'm like Redneck Rye - we are 90% moved out of the house, but not entirely since we plan to stay for another week or so. The guest room is covered with piles - gear, spare gear, maps and stuff to go in the half dozen maildrops we plan to do on the CDT. (Mostly maps). I look at the mess and get overwhelmed. We only have a week to get it cleaned up - and I'm really not ready. I too can't wait to be hiking. Life is so much simpler then.

Just Jeff
03-07-2006, 11:19
I guess the maps would definitely be worth maildrops. Not sure about the food - but I have years to figure it out...until then I'll section as I can.

Best of luck on your hikes, everyone!

rambunny
03-07-2006, 12:10
Bless your heart you are on the unblazed trail before The Trail. Good Luck and rest in the fact "everything happens for a reason." Happy Trails

snowhoe
03-07-2006, 12:55
I just went through the same thing last Saturday. It is tuff trying to get everything ready to go. You have to start by peeling yourself away from the t.v. and couch. I just started by getting all my food into the freezer bags and writing on the baghow much water I need to add to each one. Then I separated the food into the correct boxes and got the address put on and ready to send. Yes it did take about 6-7 hours but it is done and that is one less thing I have got to worry about.

BW2006
03-07-2006, 13:06
I feel the same way. Am leaving next Wed. to head to NC to see my parents then a few days later am off to Springer. My laundry room is piled with "stuff" that needs sorting and organizing. I'm not even planning mail drops. I've just gathered assorted food together and bagged it up and plan to let my husband know what to send, where and when. I have not planned anything but do need to figure out where to send the bounce box to first. Any suggestions? It's all kind of overwhelming and I just can't wait to be on the trail and forget about it all. I am hoping that the bounce box and mail drops just work themselves out. They do don't they?

neo
03-07-2006, 13:26
Wait til next Wednesday. Me, B. Jack, That Guy and Miss Janet will be at Springer.

i thought you quit hiking:D since you took up running lonewolf:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 14:04
never said i quit hiking