PDA

View Full Version : Summer Sausage

Mother Natures Son
09-12-2019, 10:25
Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

nsherry61
09-12-2019, 10:37
. . . Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?
Oh geez, isn't one enough!?

trailmercury
09-12-2019, 10:54
Went to the store today to pick up some snacks for the trail. Lo and behold they had summer sausage, which brings back a flood of memories of Pepperidge Farms Summer Sausage and smoked cheese (anyone with me on this). When I got home, I eagerly cut off a piece and ate it. Much to my delight, it tasted just like Spam without the Spam name. Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats. Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

Armour Treet is close...

I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.

TNhiker
09-12-2019, 11:24
Has anyone encountered any knockoffs of Spam-like food?

yeah....

its found in the dog food aisle....

(disclaimer---I have not nor will I ever try it)

Venchka
09-12-2019, 18:42
Summer Sausage has been around since forever.
How did you miss it?
I avoid the “doctored” up varieties like Jalapeño peppers. Great on the trail. I buy the smaller sizes. Keeps as long as it takes me to eat it.
Wayne

rickb
09-12-2019, 21:37
I think you are mis-remembering what spam (or summer sausage) tastes like, because even the cheapest summer sausage tastes nothing like Spam to me.
Author Paul Theroux wrote that the reason Spam is so popular in Oceania is that its flavor most closely approximates that of long pig (human flesh).

gpburdelljr
09-12-2019, 22:15
Now that the patent for Spam has expired, my guess years ago, the recipe is being sold to make Spam-like meats.

I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.

SawnieRobertson
09-21-2019, 20:00
There were recent posts about ketogenic backpacking. I haven't been able to find them and you;d appreciate someone's help.--Thanks.

Deacon
09-22-2019, 09:28
I don’t believe Hormel ever had a patent on SPAM, and the recipe has never been revealed.
Hormel does own the trademark for SPAM, but only for food products. It lost a court fight where the word spam was used in the name of some anti-spam software.

Hormel really didn’t need a patent anyway. What company in their right mind would want to duplicate THAT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RockDoc
09-22-2019, 13:59
Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.

SoaknWet
09-23-2019, 12:50
And there are a lot of us today that still enjoy Spam.

atraildreamer
09-23-2019, 16:17
Say what you will, but spam saved a lot of people from starvation during WWII. Ask older people from Britain. Cans of spam were sent over by well meaning Americans.

Nikita Khrushchev credited SPAM with helping the Red Army defeat the German army in WWII. Every WWII movie has at least one SPAM reference,(usually a joke), in it.

I think I bought a can of "PREM" at the Dollar Tree...it was a bad imitation of SPAM.

gpburdelljr
09-23-2019, 16:52

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2hwqlw