PDA

View Full Version : iPhone charger

rustmd
09-14-2019, 20:29
I need to replace my iPhone charger...want light-weight of course & something that will make my phone last for a few days. I typically turn the whole thing off when hiking. My current chargers seem to be failing me as they are old.

Suggestions?
.com

Slo-go'en
09-14-2019, 22:58
It's more likely you need a new battery in the phone then you need a new charger. Batteries eventually wear out - take longer to charge, don't hold the charge as long. Chargers will either work or not work, there in no in between with those.

Since replacing the battery can be an expensive operation, many people just end up using an external battery pack all the time.

rhjanes
09-14-2019, 23:03
Try going into Settings. Then scroll around and find "Battery". You can check the internal battery ability to charge. That will tell you if you need a replacement. For charging, I just use a good HD cable and the factory "Bricks". Out in the forest, I have a back up battery and can recharge stuff. But keep the phone set to "airplane" while out in remote/no signal places.

gpburdelljr
09-14-2019, 23:27
I need to replace my iPhone charger...want light-weight of course & something that will make my phone last for a few days. I typically turn the whole thing off when hiking. My current chargers seem to be failing me as they are old.

Suggestions?
.com
Are you talking about a charger, that you plug into an outlet to charge the phone, or an external battery to charge the phone?

rustmd
09-17-2019, 16:54
yes, external one. i do turn off my phone when hiking, to save battery. i use an external battery to recharge when things get low, usually after 4-6 days.

.com

Slo-go'en
09-17-2019, 17:23
In that case, you'll want a 10,000 mah pack with 2.5A outputs and a short, heavy duty USB cable.

HooKooDooKu
09-17-2019, 17:52
Anker seems to always be a good choice for external batteries (https://www.anker.com/products/107/power-banks). The have a wide range of products, some tailored to speed, others to portability, etc.

soumodeler
09-17-2019, 18:52
Anker makes excellent products. AUKEY and RAVPower are two other good brands.

reppans
09-20-2019, 10:54
Solar is getting pretty good these days... I’m getting 4W from a 2.4oz panel in 10-2 sunlight while the IPhone OEM charger is 5W. However, the tree canopy in the East means stationary charging only, and its best to use a powerbank to buffer imperfect (passing clouds) power source (smartphones are picky).

rustmd
09-20-2019, 22:35
Thanks everyone, good options.
.com