PDA

View Full Version : Should switchbacks be eliminated

lobster
03-07-2006, 14:25
and let erosion takes its effect on steeper trail?

Too bad they switchbacked the top part of that climb coming out of Stecoah Gap heading north. That short climb had few trees and rocks to grab onto like up north so when you stepped forward it seemed like your nose was touching your toes. It felt like a great accomplishment when I reached the top. Now that has been taken away unless I blaze straight up! Then I have the dilemma of missing some of the official AT footpath!

Sly
03-07-2006, 14:29
No comment except you definately post some of the dumbest threads.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 14:30
Switchbacks should stay, besides the erosion, they make icy/winter trails easier to maneuver. Folks carrying heavy packs don't lose balance as easily. The biggest problem with switchbacks are the "shortcuts" people make.

Almost There
03-07-2006, 18:25
Echo Sly!!!

digger51
03-07-2006, 19:49
I better go get drunk, I just found agreement with Sly.

vipahman
03-07-2006, 20:12
Why is it dumb? Keep both. A steep climb once in a while makes for a nice challenge. There can always be an easier way around like the switchback. This would work better on rocky sections to prevent erosion.

Booley
03-07-2006, 20:14
OK. About the switchback thing. The less trees and rocks (natural drainage) you have, the more you need switchbacks. Without them, it makes it harder on the trail maintenance crews that take care of the trail. Especially on steeper trail! I agree with Ridge. Those @ssholes that shortcut switchbacks should have to do several hundred hours of maintenance. It's hard work. You can build the best trail, but without drainage (rolling grade dips, waterbars, yes even switchbacks) that trail will quickly become trashed. The next time you come across a trail maintenance crew, tell them "Thanks, Great Work" or something to that effect. That goes a long way for the ones sweating their butts off to provide you a better experience.

Chef2000
03-07-2006, 20:17
hike in the White mountains of New Hapshire, and then answer that yourself.

saimyoji
03-07-2006, 20:26
How about a B-line (bee-line) between Springer and Katahdin be established via GPS and the trail go 'as the crow flies": a straight line, regardless of what lies in your path: roads? walk em; rivers? cross em; mountains? climb em; no BS, no MS, no ifs ands or buts. Go straight ahead.

Does that sound like fun? Hmmmm......:rolleyes:

Sly
03-07-2006, 20:47

Heh, heh. I'll buy!

khaynie
03-07-2006, 20:55
Lobster,

You're hardcore - no doubt. Between you going sans poles (since you feel it's a means of artificial propulsion) and disliking sissy switchbacks, I bet your hiking style is a force to be reckoned with.

Since skipping the switchbacks causes more damage than good, I would suggest you pick up a stump or a large stone and fireman carry that sob right up whatever mountain that isn't challenging enough for you. When the going gets tough, just pipe a little Warrant or Whitesnake through your headphones and you'll breeze to the top. I heard that's what hardcore people do...

soad
03-07-2006, 22:14

New Hampshire trail builders must have skipped over the 'switchback' chapter in the trail manual. :rolleyes:

weary
03-07-2006, 22:28
Come on. You know better than to suggest such things. Why I'd be a drunken old man if I had to get drunk everytime I agreed with Sly. And you all know that I'm neither old -- nor a drunk. Don't you????

Topcat
03-08-2006, 08:22
Well, in New Hampshire, i dont think they have to worry about hikers causing erosion on the boulders, you hear more complaints about scratches from poles.

Marta
03-08-2006, 08:24

That was my immediate thought. Or the Bigelows in Maine. I was longing for a good switchback....

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 08:29
Why is it dumb?

Trails that go straight up the mountain are a recipe for erosion, which makes for maintenance headaches and ultimately an unsustainable trail.

Peaks
03-08-2006, 09:51
New Hampshire trail builders must have skipped over the 'switchback' chapter in the trail manual. :rolleyes:

When Able Crawford and that group build the trails, there wasn't a manual.

People then had different ideas. Early trails went straight up or straight down.

Footslogger
03-08-2006, 10:00
Don't tell anyone in North Carolina about it ...seems to me that switchbacks were somewhat rare in that state.

'Slogger

digger51
03-08-2006, 12:56
Sloger, they have switchbacks in NC, I found one of them last year.

Almost There
03-08-2006, 13:23
North Carolinians believe in straight as the crow flies!!! Except for the drunken crew who put in the switchback!!!