PDA

View Full Version : 110g Fuel canisters

chknfngrs
09-17-2019, 18:10
Just bought a BRS-5000 whatever stove and looking for what price the 110g fuel can should run. Cursory search yields $9.99 for GSI and $19.99 for another.

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2019, 18:29
$5 in most stores for the small 100-110 gram size. They're more expensive online due to shipping restrictions on flammables. Walmart has them, as do many sporting goods stores.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

soumodeler
09-17-2019, 18:51
The best price I've seen is $3.99 at Academy Sports. Everywhere else $5-$6.

Analog_Kidd
09-17-2019, 21:45
When I have REI dividends left over, and I'm looking for something to buy, I usually stock up on a couple canisters.

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2019, 00:41
$5 in most stores for the small 100-110 gram size. They're more expensive online due to shipping restrictions on flammables. Walmart has them, as do many sporting goods stores.

Careful with the Walmart cannisters.
While things might have changed, the last time Walmart cannisters were being discussed, they often only worked with the stove of the same name brand Walmart was selling (and they weren't selling name brands like Jetboil, Snowpeak, MSR).

chknfngrs
09-18-2019, 07:00
Really good info thanks for sharing

Five Tango
09-18-2019, 15:10

My local Walmart only sells the larger cannisters in the store.I was able to order the 100g cannisters online.Can't remember what they cost but it was not exorbitant.You can refill them with butane but I have never done that.

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2019, 15:39
Just bought a BRS-5000 whatever stove and looking for what price the 110g fuel can should run. Cursory search yields $9.99 for GSI and $19.99 for another.
You show as being located in Washington DC. There's several REI stores in the area. While REI no longer sells canisters online (shipping restrictions), their stores should carry 110g canisters... likely MSR, JetBoil, Primus, or SnowPeak. I would expect their price to be about $5-$6.

HooKooDooKu
09-18-2019, 15:43
Academy Sport web site claims that they sell 100g Jetboil canisters for only $3.49 (again, store pickup only).
However, the last time I looked for fuel canisters at my local Academy Sports, they only sold the larger 227g MSR canisters.

soumodeler
09-18-2019, 15:56
Academy Sport web site claims that they sell 100g Jetboil canisters for only $3.49 (again, store pickup only).
However, the last time I looked for fuel canisters at my local Academy Sports, they only sold the larger 227g MSR canisters.

The store I visit most often had a long period of being out of stock if the small JetBoil cansiters, but they finally got them in and they have remained in stock every time I have been back since.

chknfngrs
09-18-2019, 21:15
I live a mile from the DC flagship store and flaked on going to visit them. Of course they carry it. Lazyweb, much?

You show as being located in Washington DC. There's several REI stores in the area. While REI no longer sells canisters online (shipping restrictions), their stores should carry 110g canisters... likely MSR, JetBoil, Primus, or SnowPeak. I would expect their price to be about $5-$6.

Just Tom
09-19-2019, 09:39
While things might have changed, the last time Walmart cannisters were being discussed, they often only worked with the stove of the same name brand Walmart was selling (and they weren't selling name brands like Jetboil, Snowpeak, MSR).
I have heard that, but since the local outfitter closed in my town, our Boy Scout troop typically gets the Walmart canisters (albeit the 220 ones) and they work with several MSR brand stoves with no issues.

coach lou
09-19-2019, 09:54
So unfortunate that Denali couldn't make it. I have so much gear from them over the years!

Venchka
09-19-2019, 10:03
Add Dicks to the Academy & REI list.
Economically speaking, the middle size canisters are a steal compared to the small size.
Wayne

4eyedbuzzard
09-20-2019, 10:43
While things might have changed, the last time Walmart cannisters were being discussed, they often only worked with the stove of the same name brand Walmart was selling (and they weren't selling name brands like Jetboil, Snowpeak, MSR).I didn't know this. I always see them at WM, but haven't ever bought one there as I usually have MSR or JB canisters around. But apparently there is something with the Coleman canisters sold at WM that doesn't allow the stove stem to open the canister Lindal valve properly. https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2017/03/coleman-canister-gas-caution.html

Now, for a trip down memory lane, I also remember the old threadless Bluet stove style canisters (Camping Gaz brand) that looked almost exactly the same as current canisters except that there were no treads on the Lindal valve connection (the stove gripped the inside rim of the canister top), and the ones with no valve that had to be pierced by a metal point on the stove - but both of those those have pretty much been gone from the US for many years, although France seems to still use them. [There's a derogatory France joke to be found here somewhere...] https://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2012/01/gas-canisters-101.html

Analog_Kidd
09-20-2019, 21:32
Before heading out, I usually put a light coat of oil around the threads of my canister stove. I feel like it helps protects the stove threads, and helps to make a better seal.

Elkins45
10-06-2019, 13:50
Before heading out, I usually put a light coat of oil around the threads of my canister stove. I feel like it helps protects the stove threads, and helps to make a better seal.

That’s a good idea. A light grease like Vaseline might be even better.

nsherry61
10-07-2019, 12:10

Grease and oil can attract dirt, so you'll want to make sure you keep your threads well covered to keep from adding abrasive to your threads unintentionally. Chap-stick also works well as a thread lube in a case like this. Wax lubes threads also and doesn't attract dirt as much.

Sarcasm the elf
10-07-2019, 12:32
So unfortunate that Denali couldn't make it. I have so much gear from them over the years!
Wait, Lou, did Denali go out of business?

coach lou
10-07-2019, 14:01
Yes, about 2 months ago! The one in Old Saybrook was the last to go, they had a weekend close out sale. Remember OV got me the Green Sticks!
They suck by the way........I'll need to get a new set of BDs

coach lou
10-07-2019, 14:02
Wait, Lou, did Denali go out of business?

The Mountain of Down came from them when they sold WM bags and they were in Guilford.

Sarcasm the elf
10-07-2019, 16:21
Yes, about 2 months ago! The one in Old Saybrook was the last to go, they had a weekend close out sale. Remember OV got me the Green Sticks!
Honestly I can’t say I’m surprised. I imagine it’s hard to keep an outfitter afloat these days unless it’s located on the doorstep of a major recreational area like in North Conway or Boulder CO.

coach lou
10-07-2019, 16:29
Honestly I can’t say I’m surprised. I imagine it’s hard to keep an outfitter afloat these days unless it’s located on the doorstep of a major recreational area like in North Conway or Boulder CO.

When they moved to Branford, we fixed their managers car. I told him it was hard to find good stuff with them now, they had turned into a boutique. He agreed but said it was hard to compete with on-line sales. Then they changed to 'Denali' and added a few stores and started carrying gear again...........now they are gone. Unfortunate.

Deadeye
10-07-2019, 22:04

Grease and oil can attract dirt, so you'll want to make sure you keep your threads well covered to keep from adding abrasive to your threads unintentionally. Chap-stick also works well as a thread lube in a case like this. Wax lubes threads also and doesn't attract dirt as much.

I use a bit of Armor-all, or other silicone lubricant. Vaseline or other petroleum-based lubricants can affect the rubber o-ring in the stove. Better to use silicone or wax. I also keep my stove in a baggie to keep it clean, and use the cap that comes with the canister. Seems to me the things that are most likely to go wrong with good canister stoves would be caused by dirt.

zelph
10-08-2019, 08:01
Be careful when extending the pot supports on the BRS3000T stove. I'll try to do a video soon on how to extend them. Do not force the supports open against each other and do not use large diameter pots. Be sure to center pot onto supports.Max size pot should be 700ml capacity. The stove is awsome when used correctly. A 25 gram stove....whoda thunkit!

Also, be sure to purchase only from BRS on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T-Ultra-Light-Titanium-Miniature/dp/B06XNLSNFR

DO NOT PURCHASE FROM EBAY

Jeff
10-08-2019, 10:05
The best price I've seen is $3.99 at Academy Sports. Everywhere else $5-$6.

I have found outfitters in AT trailtowns sell these for $1 to $2 more than elsewhere...usually around $6 for the small.

chknfngrs
10-08-2019, 11:10
Update: found and purchased at rei for $4.95

Zelph: excellent input

chknfngrs
10-08-2019, 11:14
Why wouldn’t the 1.6L Stowaway pot from MSR work on the BRS?

bbikebbs
10-08-2019, 14:55

With food/other in the pot, it probably weighs too much?

Scott

zelph
10-08-2019, 17:11

It's too large and heavy.

specs BackpackingLiquid Capacity (L) 1.6 litersLiquid Capacity (fl. oz.) 54.1 fluid ouncesDimensions 8.5 x 7.5 x 4 inchesCookware Material Stainless Steel Weight 19.5 ounces

The BRS is for ultralight kits.

Toaks Light series of pots are ideal.

chknfngrs
10-08-2019, 18:34
GSI Halulite minimalist, .6L pot more appropriate?

4eyedbuzzard
10-08-2019, 19:38
Just a different opinion here regarding lubing canister threads, but I would caution against lubricating canister threads with anything. No stove manufacturer's manual that I've seen suggests that any thread lubrication is necessary. Oil, grease, wax, etc. are not just dirt magnets, which is bad enough, they can themselves contaminate and/or block the VERY small orifices (about 1/100th inch) in the stove valve/regulator, and could render the stove inoperable. And eventually, whatever substance is put on the threads gets forced up nearer those small passages in the internal valve assembly.

zelph
10-09-2019, 08:37
GSI Halulite minimalist, .6L pot more appropriate?

Yes, that's better. Make sure pot is centered and on a level surface.

Hold the stove upside down when extending the pot supports and hold upside down when retracting them. Place into small provided stuff sack right side up. Stuff sack will help keep stove threads clean.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HGWfjkQh81Ijvkf8ayMTqRh70OF4pKd9gfqP7FDCwJQ2ZfNMMZ 9YYUL8BoTeoMVEkK8yF32mBYAhMWVOJZqxKkXwZnqsokvH3OSJ rIoNzN3JDeC6HPZasE8Qv8X71GW1U--a-pmLDg=w2400

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LQ_aU5WY0Hi6atrkken6CUl4HwiMdoMxAH-AWo16p4X6e59AZ_6VcPndGOGtKsEpLvZxnRIYnFqCnCvl3Rt3F 7oWUVlDjg7nukatbFxi0oJJkEMahMd25NYB5obZN46dUjaC6_V 3pAHQZxBEouAqKkVX_UwNqh4jleofolwTIqaL22nSI0CcVYFwQ L84fYM0-GGnNhB-wkMaPTVQx8K-h47M7FBuLMg2w1OWvzafARUUXrBS5dGXy3ih3Nz-0RS_z9WlFIsBHsnNVlW85QwOamn5_FhXFNizpRq1j9zt-Jp9Fzd7eqa-aM-nIyizPnMjcj2UJZlj3O4UopyWN1F3XZXtIUQc_WEimWkI6aNys vdpZ1AuHkbNnIDQhvpVnEMILTnnHjpBao63ZGGs4ntuLCnDUJY B3RYQyEfx6wp-7m4h21vR2mZfSNjYjaeAKYB6SAQ2yKoYTecERHvytpQuAdAvbJ OxJ7LaMpJS2i0o3kGlUZ3jXyVpxqzUtcS45IWYEiG19hpdBtYr KKUQDXK_txAT_ozdSSgtmA29-IwgKUDHSyrh-4RPyhoniYnotWBU7d7xcUTcd1KkDw3NDPCbzljLNe6KEvPRa-NJ_6TfgOoFGHh28XwdyQRsUuorzd7IxwknYsHLnsTKJGFgHjx2 ItBCeK5ilmkqpSUb3W9wtausbOLz8duwAA=w523-h697-no
Read all of the reviews, lots of helpfull info there:

https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T-Ultra-Light-Titanium-Miniature/product-reviews/B06XNLSNFR/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

Astro
10-11-2019, 12:14

Have you ever tried Leki poles?

coach lou
10-11-2019, 14:20
Have you ever tried Leki poles?

Yes, those are the ones she got. Not top of the Leki line but they were decent......the flip lock is excellent. The grip irritates when sweaty and a tip fell off. I had to find 2 rocks and recrimp the end get it to hold.

Elkins45
10-13-2019, 22:12
Just a different opinion here regarding lubing canister threads, but I would caution against lubricating canister threads with anything. No stove manufacturer's manual that I've seen suggests that any thread lubrication is necessary. Oil, grease, wax, etc. are not just dirt magnets, which is bad enough, they can themselves contaminate and/or block the VERY small orifices (about 1/100th inch) in the stove valve/regulator, and could render the stove inoperable. And eventually, whatever substance is put on the threads gets forced up nearer those small passages in the internal valve assembly.

I’ve had them get wet and rust, which causes them to gall on the aluminum threads of the stove. Now I give them a light coat of grease and use the plastic cover they are sold with. Gives some corrosion resistance and keeps them clean.

Five Tango
10-14-2019, 13:58
I have a BRS 3000 but now that hiking partners all switched back to alcohol and complain about my noise it looks like I'm headed back to the intrepid Starlyte and ss screen stand.It's quiet,dependable,and you always know how much fuel you have left.

zelph
10-14-2019, 15:53
I have 6 BRS that I will be giving a maximum burn test to see if any of the pot supports will fail.....when I find the time ,-)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/x6VAyaQI3jvABPvuHU_4fOp__pWBCNnKeNFAgLtFNxkeijpZJk MAoT5mMqn9ID-rpw9md7FcXTPXI2532typ0lsoiPOk-vi_H-enAXonUQYoBuJ0KbVtgyCfFTThAI1_86_Op8vTwg=w2400

chknfngrs
10-15-2019, 20:22
Used the 110g with the brs. It worked. It’s loud. But fast to boil 2 cups. Meh. Mood noise?