PDA

View Full Version : Should I leave the engagement ring home?

LuTotten
03-07-2006, 15:44
Okay, this may be a dumb question but...Should the engagment ring be left at home? I recently got engaged and haven't been back on the AT since but I am getting ready to pick up where I left off. They say to leave jewelry at home which I have always done but this one is a little different. What should I do?

Ridge
03-07-2006, 15:48
Get a fake one that looks like the real one.

Footslogger
03-07-2006, 15:59
I wore my ring (wedding ring, that is) during my hike in 2003. But I lost so much weight that it would fall off when my hand was pointed downward. So ...I clipped it onto my sternum strap with a mini-caribeener and threaded my bandana through it for the rest of the hike.

'Slogger

Just Jeff
03-07-2006, 16:04
Have you tried hiking with it yet? My hands swell so I don't wear rings when I hike. Hiking poles might help with that if you're so inclined.

Kerosene
03-07-2006, 16:48
It's really not the place for an engagement ring, per the reasons given above. Plus, I can just imagine the diamond slicing open the side of your new silnyl tent as you set it up in the middle of the pouring rain!

MacGyver2005
03-07-2006, 17:03
You might beat it up a bit. Also, if you might be in the position to lose a decent amount of weight it can become loose and fall off. Greybeard had his wedding band fall off last year, and he never found it. My father's is still too loose to wear without fear of losing it, so be aware of that. Otherwise if you aren't worried about abusing it or losing it go for it!

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

orangebug
03-07-2006, 17:05
If your fiance is too apprehensive if you remove the ring for the several months of your hike, I think you should consider what that bodes for the marriage.

TJ aka Teej
03-07-2006, 17:05
What should I do? It's a traditional style, a diamond in a setting? Wear it on a chain around your neck.

TN_Hiker
03-07-2006, 17:35
I would say leave it home.....just to keep the grit and grime off it not to mention having it snag on something. And one other thing........
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2006, 18:10
I would leave it at home. The trail is a rough place and the diamond maybe scratched or even lost out of the prongs.

It is also something that you may not want to be flashing when hitching... just a thought.

I left my diamond and wedding band at home when I headed out. I felt really lonely and wanted my wedding band back as a connection with my husband but the diamond stayed home. I never hike with my diamond.

That said if it is insured I guess there would be no loss but I would take it off when hitching.

I wouldn't go with the idea of wearing it around my neck either unless insured against loss, chains can break get caught on things...

Perhaps your fiance can give you another "symbolic" ring/token that is not as precious as your diamond...

Just my thoughts. Congrats on the engagement. Sue/HH

ZZXF
03-07-2006, 18:26
Both my wedding band and engagement ring have small diamonds imbedded in the bands, so I'm planning to look into a really cheap basic band to wear instead when I (hopefully) thru next year. My decision to wear a band has nothing to do with my husband's preferences; rather, I feel it clarifies any encounters I might have with the opposite sex. However, I still haven't decided what to do about sizing. I'd be very skinny if I lost even 10-15 pounds -- would that kind of weight loss make your ring size change? I was leaning toward getting a slightly larger size due to hand swelling when hiking.

bfitz
03-07-2006, 18:28
Perhaps your fiance can give you another "symbolic" ring/token that is not as precious as your diamond...
How about a tatoo?

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 18:34
If it fits well, I don't think you're at risk of losing it; women lose less weight than men, and your hands and fingers, if anything, will be larger than usual from swelling, and not smaller.

One thing.....always keep the ring ON. Where you're at risk of losing it is in bathrooms, hostels, motels, etc. Keep it ON and you won't have a problem.

I don't think putting it around your neck is a good idea. Neck chains break sooner or later.

And lastly, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this, but it might actually be useful to be wearing an engagement ring, as you'll have something to point out to guys who are coming on a bit too strong. Show 'em the ring, flutter your fingers, and even the most ardent admirer is liable to back off.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 19:09
................. Show 'em the ring, flutter your fingers, and even the most ardent admirer is liable to back off.

Only if theres a gun at the end of the ring would some guys back off.

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2006, 20:18
Both my wedding band and engagement ring have small diamonds embedded in the bands, so I'm planning to look into a really cheap basic band to wear instead when I (hopefully) their next year. My decision to wear a band has nothing to do with my husband's preferences; rather, I feel it clarifies any encounters I might have with the opposite sex. However, I still haven't decided what to do about sizing. I'd be very skinny if I lost even 10-15 pounds -- would that kind of weight loss make your ring size change? I was leaning toward getting a slightly larger size due to hand swelling when hiking.

My regular band did fine, sometimes it was slightly tighter then normal due to swelling but no uncomfortable so. I usually only noticed that if I hung my arms down when not using my poles. When I lost weight it did get a little looser. That wasn't a problem until near the end, then I had to be careful not to lose it when I washed my hands.

Lilred
03-07-2006, 20:23
I've only hiked 300 miles, but I wore my wedding and engagement rings and never thought a thing about it. It was never an issue. And I never once snagged it on my sil nylon tent, or anything else for that matter. I know it's new to you and you don't want anything to happen to it, but after you've worn it for 20 years, it'll feel like part of your hand. I say hike with it on

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2006, 20:38
If you wear it make sure it is insured for loss.

Wolf - 23000
03-07-2006, 21:12
If they are not a hiker, leave them.

Wolf

weary
03-07-2006, 21:15
Okay, this may be a dumb question but...Should the engagment ring be left at home? I recently got engaged and haven't been back on the AT since but I am getting ready to pick up where I left off. They say to leave jewelry at home which I have always done but this one is a little different. What should I do?
Only a fool, or a drooling male would answer such a question.

Weary

Skidsteer
03-07-2006, 21:20
Only a fool, or a drooling male would answer such a question.

Weary

Wow, I'm glad I didn't post!.....Oops,...dammit...

Blissful
03-08-2006, 00:12
I've worn mine hiking, caving, camping, gardening, everywhere (still do). I also have this idea of not removing my ring, ever, for any reason (even when I had surgery, I made the nurses tape it on). I've only had it off my finger once since my wedding day sixteen years ago, and that was on my tenth anniversary to get it cleaned and inspected.

Anyway, if it's a good quality setting with plenty of prongs to hold the diamond (mine has six) and the diamond doesn't stick out like sore thumb (I got mine set close in so it wouldn't snag on anything) you should be fine. But I remember when I got mine and worried about it when I went caving with all the grime and goo. So I understand. :)

River Runner
03-08-2006, 00:51
I wear my rings backpacking all the time, but I've never done a through hike. If the ring is very costly, I would probably choose to leave it home, more for the safety factor of not flashing an expensive ring around than for fear of losing it. As someone else suggested getting your fiance to give you a less expensive "substitute" to wear on your thru would be a good idea. If you choose to take it with you, insurance would be an excellent idea.

Doctari
03-08-2006, 10:18
First off: Congratulations!!! You are getting married on the trail right? I suggest Janet's Place for the wedding & reception.

I voted leave it home. If set on having one with you, I second Ridge"s suggestion of getting a fake replacement (If cheap enough: get several, just in case of loss) And, as HH suggested, If you insist/decide to take it, GET IT APPRASED AND INSURED against loss, theft, etc.

I stopped wearing rings about 0.02 seconds after almost loosing my ring finger at work due to it being caught by the ring. That was over 15 years ago. And, actually, my wife now wears my wedding ring cause her's no longer fits her, and mine is also too small for me. Who knew that gold shrinks?? :o

Doctari.

LuTotten
03-08-2006, 12:13
Thanks for all the great advice, keep it coming b/c I am still undecided. I guess I should have been more specific as far as time to be spent on the trail. Ive been doing it in section hikes which will be getting as long as 2 weeks as I get farther away from home, so weight loss won't be much of an issue. River Runner nailed one of my main concerns which was the safety factor. It is insured but I would still be very upset if something happened to it.

Turtle2
03-08-2006, 13:28
I've worn mine hiking, caving, camping, gardening, everywhere (still do). I also have this idea of not removing my ring, ever, for any reason (even when I had surgery, I made the nurses tape it on). I've only had it off my finger once since my wedding day sixteen years ago, and that was on my tenth anniversary to get it cleaned and inspected.

Hey Blissful,

Be sure to have your rings looked at. The six prongs will wear thin and they can even wear off. If you haven't had the head or prongs replaced in 16 years, they may need some attention, especially if they are gold not platinum. I've seen many a lady upset because the stone got knocked out. Most jewelry stores will clean and check your rings while you wait at no fee.

Blissful
03-08-2006, 22:35
Hey Blissful,

Be sure to have your rings looked at. The six prongs will wear thin and they can even wear off. If you haven't had the head or prongs replaced in 16 years, they may need some attention, especially if they are gold not platinum. I've seen many a lady upset because the stone got knocked out. Most jewelry stores will clean and check your rings while you wait at no fee.[/quote]

Thanks! The prongs were in good shape at year 10 (I was worried about that too), but they might definitely need another look-see soon. :)

boarstone
02-03-2011, 08:36
Leave it home....if it gets caught up on something you'll not only risk losing the ring but the finger it was on...

Newb
02-03-2011, 08:44
How much does it weigh? if it's over 1/2 a carat that's WAY too much weight. :)

Lilred
02-03-2011, 09:21
folks?? this thread is 5 years old....lol

tawa
02-03-2011, 09:32
Leave it at home----if she is not understanding about that issue---then u need to keep looking!!
Its a safety issue---ever seen a hiker hanging from a tree limb or shelter hook because he jumped away and his ring finger got caught.

jerseydave
02-03-2011, 10:13
I'd leave it home,

That'll make it much easier to "hook up" when lonely out on the trail!

joke, joke, joke, joke, joke...... it was a joke..... relax

Two Speed
02-03-2011, 11:37
Hi,
I think you should wear it when your are going at safe place.. if you thinks that you are going to some rushy place you should leave it at home. because diamonds ring are very costly...
thanks
marco
folks?? this thread is 5 years old....lolLilred, a spammer just slipped one past you. Just sayin'.

Spokes
02-03-2011, 11:41
Only if theres a gun at the end of the ring would some guys back off.

Or as they say down South.... Show 'em the little end of your 44.

attroll
02-03-2011, 13:21
Here is my opinion and this is speaking from experience. Wear the ring. It is only going to cause grief later on if you do not wear it. If you want to hear more of my experience on this you can send me a PM.

Sickmont
02-03-2011, 13:31
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/102/threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg (http://img509.imageshack.us/i/threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg/)

Majortrauma
02-03-2011, 13:44
Leave it home.
While doing a SOBO section hike in Oct 2010 I found a wedding band/engagement ring at the Middle Creek campground north of Troutville and no one has claimed it yet.
There is no point in wearing it and a lot of good reasons not to wear it.

sbhikes
02-03-2011, 13:59
I would worry about the diamond falling out. You'd never find it again.

The Weasel
02-03-2011, 14:31
If you have to ask this question, then you shouldn't wear it.

Ever.

TW

Sickmont
02-03-2011, 14:45
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/sickmont/Thread_Crap_Wont_Die_RE_mega_zombie_forum-s300x371-97014-580.jpg

Skidsteer
02-03-2011, 14:58
Lilred, a spammer just slipped one past you. Just sayin'.

Well, at least he was on-topic. That's unusual.

max patch
02-03-2011, 15:07

Good catch. Probably married, couple kids, and divorced by now.

jerseydave
02-03-2011, 15:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilred http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1107261#post1107261)

Don't care....... gotta know..... did ya wear the ring?

The Weasel
02-03-2011, 15:17

And hiking the AT, with a dog. Unleashed. :D

TW

The Counselor
02-03-2011, 21:33
Rings can come off easily when removing gloves. I just lost my wedding ring this way in the Sipsey Wilderness.

The Counselor
02-03-2011, 21:35
Oh. LOL...

mweinstone
02-04-2011, 10:38

who the hell is "they"? thruhiking is life while hiking. not life without my ring hiking. if it was, how would anybody know who to hit on? duh.

Sickmont
02-04-2011, 10:45
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/sickmont/Thread_Crap_Wont_Die_RE_mega_zombie_forum-s300x371-97014-580.jpg

OPIE
02-09-2011, 14:43
My wife lost her engagement ring in the Sipsey Wilderness. $5k+ gone forever.

She took it off before we set out, and put it in her wallet in her purse. She either dropped it at the trailhead, or at the gas station in rabbittown as she was trying to pay for her Mtn. Dew with nickels and pennies. :facepalm:

art gypsy
02-09-2011, 15:13
I would leave it at home. I wore mine hiking the high peaks in the Adirondacks and ended up loosening the diamond while scrambling. I didn't realize until it was too late and the diamond fell out. I would carry something sentimental that is much less expensive on the trail.

Panzer1
02-09-2011, 15:43
I always leave my wedding ring at home for fear of losing it.

Panzer

QuarterPounder
02-09-2011, 17:46
OK

It's been 5 years and we still don't know...

Did she take the ring or not ??

ATSeamstress
02-09-2011, 18:24
Isn't there a way of closing a thread for good, either by the OP or administrator, once a question has been answered or no new posts for a predetermined amount of time? It would sure clean things up, and keep people from wasting time answering an old question.

Sierra Echo
02-09-2011, 18:25
I take out/off all the jewelry I can. But leave in my inner ear piercings and my nose stud.

OPIE
03-04-2011, 17:06
Isn't there a way not to post in a thread or open a thread that bugs you if you have nothing to add

Mr. BuffaloMan
03-04-2011, 17:45
I spent 3 hours looking under rocks for some girl's engagement ring in 2009. Never found it. I recommend leaving it home. Your fiance should understand.

twsmith001
03-04-2011, 22:35
ring pop............need i say more