PDA

View Full Version : PA AT camping locations

RMGreen
03-07-2006, 15:54
In a few months (hopefully early May), my wife and I are hoping to do a weekend backpacking hike along the AT. We're both completely new to backpacking, and I was hoping I might be able to mine the experience of anyone who is familiar with the AT in Pennsylvania to find a suitable location for a two day round-trip hike.

To clarify, what I'd like to do is drive to the trail on Friday evening and camp the night, then pack everything up and hike out Saturday morning. At some point Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll turn around and head back toward the car. We'd camp the night on the trail, and then on Sunday morning pack everything up again and make our way back to the car to head home.

I've gotten some advice which generally recommended somewhere in the vicinity of Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP (I think). I've done some research on the stretch, including the information on http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. However, having never gone backpacking before, I'm not sure exactly what certain things mean, and whether they are appropriate our purposes.

For instance, the guide mentions several 'shelters' along the way. But what exactly is a 'shelter'? Does it specifically mean a structure of some sort, or is it a general term for everything from a rustic camp ground to an enclosed bunkhouse without any places to pitch a tent?

And I'm assuming that I can't just stop and throw my tent up where ever I please and that I need to find a designated camp area. Am I correct, or am I getting concerned over a whole lot of nothing?

I guess what I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with is to give me some idea of what to look for and what to expect when I'm walking on the AT and looking for a place to sleep for the night. I hate to leave it up to random chance that I'll find what I'm looking for when I get there.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ray

neo
03-07-2006, 16:17
In a few months (hopefully early May), my wife and I are hoping to do a weekend backpacking hike along the AT. We're both completely new to backpacking, and I was hoping I might be able to mine the experience of anyone who is familiar with the AT in Pennsylvania to find a suitable location for a two day round-trip hike.

To clarify, what I'd like to do is drive to the trail on Friday evening and camp the night, then pack everything up and hike out Saturday morning. At some point Saturday afternoon/evening, we'll turn around and head back toward the car. We'd camp the night on the trail, and then on Sunday morning pack everything up again and make our way back to the car to head home.

I've gotten some advice which generally recommended somewhere in the vicinity of Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP (I think). I've done some research on the stretch, including the information on http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/. However, having never gone backpacking before, I'm not sure exactly what certain things mean, and whether they are appropriate our purposes.

For instance, the guide mentions several 'shelters' along the way. But what exactly is a 'shelter'? Does it specifically mean a structure of some sort, or is it a general term for everything from a rustic camp ground to an enclosed bunkhouse without any places to pitch a tent?

And I'm assuming that I can't just stop and throw my tent up where ever I please and that I need to find a designated camp area. Am I correct, or am I getting concerned over a whole lot of nothing?

I guess what I'm hoping someone here might be able to help me with is to give me some idea of what to look for and what to expect when I'm walking on the AT and looking for a place to sleep for the night. I hate to leave it up to random chance that I'll find what I'm looking for when I get there.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Ray

any where ya can hang this:cool:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10175&catid=member&imageuser=3462

theurbansuburban
03-07-2006, 16:31
I've never stayed in either of the places you've mentioned, but I have done all of the AT in PA north of rt 501 and there are plenty of nice places that aren't neccessarily in a state park. If you data says that there is a shelter that normally implies a three walled lean-to type structure. Except for the rt 501 shelter and the eckville shelter which both have 4 walls :). The shelters normally have a spot near by to pitch a tent if you need to.
I don't have my data book handy but I know there are plenty of beutiful spots to take you first hike in PA. But be forwarned, have a good pair of boots, and be ready for the rocks.

Alligator
03-07-2006, 16:32
Most times, a shelter is a three-sided, one room cabin. There are pictures in the gallery.

Usually, there is somewhere to pitch a tent, but not always.

Different sections of trail have different regulations for pitching your tent. As an example, there are specific requirements for making camp in PA along the PA game lands. These requirements should be in the guidebook associated with the AT maps. In the 10th edition of the PA guide, see pg 29 for the game land regs.

c.coyle
03-07-2006, 16:44
RM, that's a lot to cover. It's not clear, but I get the impression you haven't done a lot of hiking, period. If so, I'd recommend you do a few day hikes first. Then, a single nighter.

Shelters are basically three sided wooden structures, lean-to's, where you set up your sleeping bag on the floor.

There are a bunch of AT shelters in Pa. that are within 5-8 miles of a road, which would be ideal for an in-and-out overnighter. You can also pitch your tent near most shelters.

Shelters have zero privacy, but you are sure to meet other hikers who will be happy to help you out and share their experience.

I'm sure you'll get more advice from others here.

If you're going to do an overnighter, between Caledonia and Pine Grove Furnace would be ideal in May. Beautiful, fairly easy, several shelters. You'd have to go car-to-car or get shuttled to one end, but I can pretty much guarantee that you'd have a good time.

RMGreen
03-07-2006, 17:17
Thanks for the tips everyone. After I found this I managed to dig into the shelters/lean-to's forum for PA and actually saw some pictures of a 'shelter'. It gives me some idea of what's there, although I'm still generally unclear as to whether they are meant for tent camping or not.

any where ya can hang this:cool:
Heh, looks comfy. But I don't think the wife would go for it, especially after we already invested in a tent. ;^)

The shelters normally have a spot near by to pitch a tent if you need to.
I don't have my data book handy but I know there are plenty of beutiful spots to take you first hike in PA. But be forwarned, have a good pair of boots, and be ready for the rocks.
Thanks, that's mostly what I wanted to know. And don't worry, we're in the final stages of finding boots (at the moment, I'm leaning towards the EMS Summit IIs and my wife is liking a pair of Montrail Torres). :^)

Different sections of trail have different regulations for pitching your tent. As an example, there are specific requirements for making camp in PA along the PA game lands. These requirements should be in the guidebook associated with the AT maps. In the 10th edition of the PA guide, see pg 29 for the game land regs.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check out the guides, although some of the ones I've looked at seem like they're almost written for people who already are experienced hikers. I probably just haven't found the right one yet.

It's not clear, but I get the impression you haven't done a lot of hiking, period. If so, I'd recommend you do a few day hikes first. Then, a single nighter.
Yeah, we're just getting started. You've got to start somewhere, right? I'm hoping to do at least one or two 'day hikes' (aside from our local training) before this weekend trip. But I specifically want to practice hiking out, pitching the tent, and then cleaning it all up again the next morning so I want to avoid place where you're expected to not use your tent in favor of the provided shelter. That's a part of what I was trying to figure out from you guys. What's the point in doing practice hikes if we don't actually get to practice everything we'll need to do, right?

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the advice. It's been very helpful, and I have a much better expectation of what I'll find on the trail now.

Ray

Sly
03-07-2006, 17:33
PA has some great shelter/camping spots.

Many of the shelters in PA are double and sometimes offer semi-privacy. None kept nicer than Quarry Springs which is a short hike from Caledonia.

Sly
03-07-2006, 17:41
Ray, if you decide to stay in a shelter please don't set your tent up in it. I've seen a couple "newbies" (and actually some more experienced hikers) do this and there's nothing more aggravating.

Skyline
03-07-2006, 18:08
I second Quarry Gap Shelters, just an hour-plus north of Caledonia State Park (don't let the first climb intimidate you--most of this area doesn't compare). Like several along the AT in PA, Quarry is a twin shelter, and meticulously maintained. You'll get spoiled by this one, tho there aren't a whole lot of good places to tent nearby, and in a dry season the spring can be iffy (probably OK for early May).

North of there is the nearly-new Birch Run Shelter. Better tenting opportunities and water sources, too. The hike between Quarry and Birch, once you climb out of Quarry, includes some of the nicest tread in PA.

If this is your first AT backpack, you may want to take it easy and spend one night in the woods, ending the trek about 1.3 mi. north of Birch Run at Shippensburg Rd. instead of going all the way to Pine Grove Furnace. Just a thought. It would still be a 12-mile +/- hike, and quite an accomplishment for your first time out.

Another thought: there is a locked PATC cabin along this stretch--Milesburn Cabin. (Also not too far north of Shippensburg Rd. is another--Michener Cabin.) These are reasonably priced and can be reserved in advance, tho there are some hurdles to jump over. Follow the Cabins link at www.patc.net. I've been to Milesburn and it is a cut above "rustic." Haven't eyeballed the inside of Michener.

Toolshed
03-08-2006, 14:36
Skyline has it Spot on!!! I spend a lot of time in the trail in AT and that area is one of my favorites.

I would also first caution you that if you are getting heavier leather boots (The Summits) you will need more than 2 dayhikes to break them in.

I also recommend that brand spanking new and shellacked Birch Run shelter located just over a mile South of Shippensburg Road.

In fact, for your first time out, I think an easy in and out would be perfect - you have time to check out or play with your gear, adjust your pack and you have a nice shelter and some solitude (ubless a gaggle of boy scouts show up).

The next day You can leisurely pack up, head toward your car, lock your gear in the trunk and go for a nice dayhike N from Shippensburg, or head over to Pine gorve furnace and hike around a bit.

FWIW, I have never been a big advocate for folks brand new to hiking with all new gear, to just head out on some 5-10 mile trail withouth spending a few local nights with their stuff to get the hang of it.

RMGreen
03-08-2006, 17:06
Thanks very much for the tips. It sounds like I should be able to set up the tent nearby the shelters (not in them, of course!) assuming it's not horribly crowded. I'll be satisfied so long as I'm not forced to use the shelter.

I definitely appreciate all the experienced warnings about the difficulties in getting started. My lack of familiarity makes the prospect both exciting and a bit frightening. Your insights on what to expect are very helpful.

Since I don't want to get too 'off topic' here, maybe I'll put forward my overall plan and eventual goal (which is probably pretty ambitious) for critique in another location on the forum where it's more appropriate.

Thanks again!

Ray

Crash
03-09-2006, 12:30
Ray, if you decide to stay in a shelter please don't set your tent up in it. I've seen a couple "newbies" (and actually some more experienced hikers) do this and there's nothing more aggravating.

Why do people do that?

Mother's Finest
03-10-2006, 16:17
flat spot and bugs. plus they do not know any better. I did not in 1993....
peace
mf

Toolshed
03-10-2006, 21:08
I used to maintain some Lean-to's in the Daks and I ran across tents in L/Ts 3 times over the years and then about 3 years ago on the AT just south of Port Clinton. In each case it was women. In 2 of the cases it was raining and they did not want their tent to get wet. In the 3rd case they wanted to keep the bugs out of the shelter. I didn't bother to ask the 2 grls at the AT LT, preferring to move on.

Panzer1
03-10-2006, 22:19
You could also get on the AT where rt 309 goes over Blue mountain. That's less than an hour from where you live.

Panzer

astrogirl
03-10-2006, 23:06
Tom's Run Shelter, just south (4 mi) of Pine Grove Furnace, has a lot of good tentsites, as I recall.

tailwind105
03-11-2006, 19:43
i nice overnight hike (with a late start) or good day hike, is to park on Reservoir Rd. (http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org) and head north, take the first blue blaze and follow it. It will take you along the ridge line with good views overlooking palmerton. At the end of the blue blaze trail , just before you descend down the Leroy Smith (i think that its name, can't remember atm) there will be a few camping spots high on the ridge which have views.

just a side note, there isn't any fires permited in this area, so you will need a camp stove.

tailwind105
03-11-2006, 19:45
woops didn't realized the link didn't work .. click on the PA parking link and than click on Section 3 - Lehigh Gap to PA Rt. 309 (http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=1%20&sectionID=3). Reservoir rd. is on the 4th line down.

ARambler
03-11-2006, 22:17
i nice overnight hike (with a late start) or good day hike, is to park on Reservoir Rd. [...]and head north, take the first blue blaze and follow it. It will take you along the ridge line with good views overlooking palmerton. At the end of the blue blaze trail , just before you descend down the Leroy Smith (i think that its name, can't remember atm) there will be a few camping spots high on the ridge which have views. ....
Just hiked this stretch today. I don't know where Reservoir Rd is and it is not in you link. Also the Leroy Smith shelter is not in this section. My guess of this description.
The parking is on the north side of Lehigh Gap. Follow the trail south, along the road across the bridge, and up the hill. After you pass George Outerbridge shelter, there will be a fine campsite on your left at one of PA's distinctive charcoal platforms. Shortly after this campsite, is a blue blazed "north" scenic trail. Follow it to the ridge (Devils Pulpit? I saw a DP painted on the rocks). Once on the ridge, continue to follow the blue blazes almost to a radio tower. The trail goes east (south) to rejoin the AT. Go left, south for 2 miles on the AT past the blue blaze junction to the campsite. Note, the only water on this stretch is 75 yd north of the shelter. (In fact, it is the only natural water I found in the 70 miles from Windsor Furnace to Delaware Water Gap.)
This is a nice 6 mile semi-loop which may be very busy on spring weekends, but I had a fantastic view all to my self at the shelter last night.
Rambler

ARambler
03-11-2006, 22:21
Just hiked this stretch today.
... Go left, south for 2 miles on the AT past the blue blaze junction to the campsite. ...RamblerSorry, left is AT North. Back to the campsite and your car.

tailwind105
03-11-2006, 23:10
my mistake, i was a little vague.

on the second link i provided the directions are,

" On 309, south of S. Tamaqua, take Mountain Rd. east. Turn left on Reservoir Rd." first directions of Lehigh Furnace.

its the same section, just hiking north instead of south. Going from Reservoir road north is an easier hike. From the road you are already near the top, so it is less up hill climbing.

i looked it up, the Leroy Smith shelter is next shelter north of this section of trail. it is in fact the George W. Outerbrige Shelter. i couldn't remember and was to lazy to look up before.

themooseisloose
03-11-2006, 23:27
You might consider PA 183 -> Hertlein Campsite ->William Penn and back. There's parking just before PA 183 (Section 5 into section 6 if you're looking at one of the maps).

That's a good section to do over a weekend b/c the first night, Friday night, you've got a pretty short and easy hike (about 3 1/2 miles), which gives you time to go to work in the morning and start hiking in the afternoon and still make it to camp early. There are two tent platforms there as well as a relatively flat spot just past the stream if the platforms are taken.

Saturday morning you can go 10 miles to William Penn shelter (or if that's too far there's a campsite about six miles away, Applebee).

Sunday just retrace your steps (either 13 1/2 miles or 9 miles, depending on how far you go Saturday).

There's water at both Hertlein and Penn.

As always in PA, the rocks in this section are a pain.

Enjoy!

c.coyle
03-12-2006, 20:23
Ray, I still say PGF to Caledonia in May would be an ideal intro to overnight hiking and to the AT in Pennsylvania. In my opinion, this stretch is light years nicer than anything north of Route 501. Prettier, more reliable water, no real rocky stretches.

I personally can't think of any stretch from 501 north to Jersey that I'd want to hike more than once, except for the last 8 or 9 miles from Fox Gap to Delaware Water Gap. South of 501 is another matter.

ARambler
03-12-2006, 23:53
Ray, I still say PGF to Caledonia in May would be an ideal intro to overnight hiking and to the AT in Pennsylvania. In my opinion, this stretch is light years nicer than anything north of Route 501. Prettier, more reliable water, no real rocky stretches.

I personally can't think of any stretch from 501 north to Jersey that I'd want to hike more than once, except for the last 8 or 9 miles from Fox Gap to Delaware Water Gap. South of 501 is another matter.

I agree with PGF-Caledonia. However, you will find many more Hawks and /or snakes north of 501. There are many popular overlooks that are very popular with day hikers (Devils Pulpit, Bake Oven Knob, Bear Rocks, the Knife Edge just on the 14 mile stretch from 309 to Lehigh Gap.) Only whiny Whiteblazers and thruhikers complain about PA. Actually this section beat me up this weekend so count me in as a complainer.

c.coyle
03-13-2006, 08:13
... Only whiny Whiteblazers and thruhikers complain about PA. Actually this section beat me up this weekend so count me in as a complainer.

Cripes. Did I sound whiny? The rocks are overrated. And it's true that there are a few scenic vistas on the Pa. AT north of 501. But, the northern half of Pa. is mostly ridge walking in a green tunnel, and just rocky enough that you can't look up for miles at a time.

Toolshed
03-13-2006, 14:01
The parking is on the north side of Lehigh Gap. Follow the trail south, along the road across the bridge, and up the hill. Rambler
I live about 35 minutes from this trailhead. I was there 2 weekends ago, doing the ridge route past Devils Pulpit.

I got the impression from the big sign on the North Side Parking lot that you could no longer park there after 8PM.

You can definitely still park on the South side - There is space for about 6 cars. You just can't park along the driveway (there are some landscape timbers along the driveway to prevent this). I did stop in and check with the owners and they mentioned that parking in the small lot on the "road" side of the landscape timbers was fine. - It is difficult to explain but easy to see once you are in front of it.

RMGreen
03-14-2006, 18:13
Hey, thanks for all the additional tips! Yeah, a stretch of the AT up by the Lehigh Valley would be much closer, so I'll definitely look into it as an alternative. I heard great things about the section around Caledonia SP, so that's why I specifically asked about that one. But more firsthand information is definitely always welcome.

Thanks again everyone!

Ray

EarlyBird2007
04-12-2006, 13:41
Dear RMGreen:

I've just finished a series of day-hikes from the MD line through Swatara State Park, about 110 miles. It's a beautiful area. I can offer several suggestions in addition to the ones already submitted.

One alternative is to start at Pine Grove Furnace and go north. That has already been discussed. The only thing I'd add is that parts of it are fairly tough, particularly around Mt. Holly Springs.

If you want a fairly easy hike, I'd start at Boiling Springs and hike North. The downside is that you can't camp in the Cumberland Valley, except for a tent site just south of BS. I maintain a portion of this as a member of CVATC. The first shelter is on top of Blue Mountain at Darlington, about 14 miles away. Next one is Cove Mountain, about 7 miles further. You could then continue north to Duncannon, and then turn around. The only tough part is the steep downhill into Duncannon, which you'll have to repeat going back south.

Another one is to start at Duncannon and go north. The toughest part is a rock hop on top of Peters Mountain. The excellent views make up for it. Clarks Ferry Shelter is about 5 miles north. Peters Mountain is about 6 miles beyond that.

Perhaps my favorite is to start where the AT intersects route 325 (Clarks Valley Rd). north of Harrisburg just south of the Dehart Dam. You'll hike north through St. Anthony's Wilderness a/k/a Stony Creek Valley. There's a moderately difficult two mile uphill right at the beginning. The Rausch Gap Shelter is about 11 miles north. Nice shelter with a spring right in front. Swatara State Park is about 5 miles beyond that. Very picturesque area, including a couple of ghost towns.

Feel free to email me if I can assist further.

HIKER7s
04-12-2006, 14:23
I take all the newbies first time out to that section Caledonia SP and Pine Grove Furnace SP .

For what you want to do and to get a nice night out of it. Begin at Caledonia and hike to Quarry Gap Shelter about 3 miles north-bound. Q-Gap shelter is one of the best shelters on the entire trail. Nice set-up. Stream upfront, coming from Caledonia its a little hump up however. If your fit however, its enjoyable.

A good weekend section would be Pine Groive to Caledonia, then you have, besides Q-GAP; the Birch run and ToM's Run shelters to choose from,

RMGreen
04-21-2006, 11:52
Thanks for the tips, Jim and Hiker7s. I'll definitely consider the stretches you mentioned, Jim. It would probably be a bit shorter drive for me to get to them, which is always nice when you've only got a weekend. I'll let you know if I come up with any more questions (although it may not be for a few more weeks, closer to when I'm thinking of hiking).

Thanks again!

RMGreen

mbroadhe
04-22-2006, 10:05
Here's a great site with some parking information.....
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
Another option to think about, which I enjoy hiking, is starting at the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, walking across the bridge to the NJ side and up to Sunfish Pond. It's the southern most glacial pond on the AT. Once you get into NJ, you enter Worthington State Forest, and there are free maps at the parking area. You can only set up camp at the "backpacker's site" but there are plenty of sites and if you want isolation, it's available. From Sunfish Pond, you can walk back to the bridge to PA using the Dunnfield Creek Trail. This way it's like walking a whole new section. From PA to Sunfish Pond and back is approximately 14-15 miles round trip. It's not as rocky as most sections you'll find in northern PA, either. Like I said, I thoroughly enjoy this hike. Especially on the way back along Dunnfield Creek. You walk along the creek and some spots are picturesque, so bring a camera.
Some info:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/worthington.html

saimyoji
04-22-2006, 19:03
Here's a great site with some parking information.....
http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/
Another option to think about, which I enjoy hiking, is starting at the Delaware Water Gap on the PA side, walking across the bridge to the NJ side and up to Sunfish Pond. It's the southern most glacial pond on the AT. Once you get into NJ, you enter Worthington State Forest, and there are free maps at the parking area. You can only set up camp at the "backpacker's site" but there are plenty of sites and if you want isolation, it's available. From Sunfish Pond, you can walk back to the bridge to PA using the Dunnfield Creek Trail. This way it's like walking a whole new section. From PA to Sunfish Pond and back is approximately 14-15 miles round trip. It's not as rocky as most sections you'll find in northern PA, either. Like I said, I thoroughly enjoy this hike. Especially on the way back along Dunnfield Creek. You walk along the creek and some spots are picturesque, so bring a camera.
Some info:
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/worthington.html

1) Why start on the PA side and walk across that nasty smoggy noisy bridge? From the NJ parking lo its about 5 miles up to the Pond on the AT, and barely 6 back on the Dunnfield trail. 11, possible 12 at MOST.

2) Much of the Dunnfield was washed out last fall with the rains. Many places have been relocated, ruining the nice creekside walk, and many of the views. I've posted questions on updates here, but have not seen any responses; leads me to believe they're still out.

3) I still agree with this routing, though I would suggest walking UP the Dunnfield Creek trail and DOWN the AT (DCT is more interesting on the way up, you cross the creek a few times, lots of blow downs...etc; the AT is just up, switchback, up, up, switchback, rather boring). Once you arrive at SFP, the backpacker's campsite is a short hike back down on the AT. From SFP you can connect with the fire trail that hooks around to Mt. Tammany and catch the views.

In the DWG NRA, there are many choices on how to hike. Perhaps plan one hike one weekend, and a different route another. Each will be different, and each will be enjoyable.

Have fun, and watch out for them wiley b'ars, mayhap y'all be needin' a skatter gunn.:D

mbroadhe
04-23-2006, 21:03
1) Why start on the PA side and walk across that nasty smoggy noisy bridge? From the NJ parking lo its about 5 miles up to the Pond on the AT, and barely 6 back on the Dunnfield trail. 11, possible 12 at MOST.

2) Much of the Dunnfield was washed out last fall with the rains. Many places have been relocated, ruining the nice creekside walk, and many of the views. I've posted questions on updates here, but have not seen any responses; leads me to believe they're still out.

3) I still agree with this routing, though I would suggest walking UP the Dunnfield Creek trail and DOWN the AT (DCT is more interesting on the way up, you cross the creek a few times, lots of blow downs...etc; the AT is just up, switchback, up, up, switchback, rather boring). Once you arrive at SFP, the backpacker's campsite is a short hike back down on the AT. From SFP you can connect with the fire trail that hooks around to Mt. Tammany and catch the views.

In the DWG NRA, there are many choices on how to hike. Perhaps plan one hike one weekend, and a different route another. Each will be different, and each will be enjoyable.

Have fun, and watch out for them wiley b'ars, mayhap y'all be needin' a skatter gunn.:D
1. You don't have to pay the toll coming back into PA.;) Yea, I'm cheap and don't like paying tolls. It also IS part of the AT, so why not walk it? Also, the parking is not right off the highway where any thug from NY can get to your car. The parking on the PA side is off main roads.

2. The Dunnfield Creek trail is washed out in spots but you can reroute yourself around it. I found it quite impressive what nature can do and it made the trail more interesting.

3. I WILL agree with your suggestion to walk up the Dunnfield Creek trail and down the AT, though. :clap