PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Experience rope climber

kibs
09-23-2019, 22:01
For my final push to Mt Katahdin will begin Sept 1, 2020 looking for someone to join me in my 2020 final push to summit Mt Katahdin I’m interested in a fellow hiker who has similar schedule and possesses training/knowledge using safety climbing ropes.
Thanks, kibs

fastfoxengineering
12-02-2019, 17:27
For my final push to Mt Katahdin will begin Sept 1, 2020 looking for someone to join me in my 2020 final push to summit Mt Katahdin I’m interested in a fellow hiker who has similar schedule and possesses training/knowledge using safety climbing ropes.
Thanks, kibs

There's only one Kibs I know who would need a rope going up Momma K.

- Yoti

Traveler
12-03-2019, 10:00
Training and knowledge are indeed needed to climb ropes.....

https://www.area51.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/rope_trick-174x300.jpg

RockDoc
12-03-2019, 11:45
Climbing ropes! Ha!

Gambit McCrae
12-03-2019, 11:56
"I am looking for an experience,
Sincerely - Rope Climber"

peakbagger
12-03-2019, 12:11
Thanks, kibs

Realistically there is no need to run ropes up Katahdin. There are no particular special skills that are needed on the hiking trails there and only there that have not been encountered numerous times as a hiker goes northbound on the AT. The hike from Glencliff to BSP will cover all the essential techniques that may be needed with plenty of "pop quizzes" along the way to practice , its just that the Hunt trail (the AT) has a concentration of several of them in about two thirds a mile section below the tablelands. 8 year old kids routinely climb to the summit via the AT unassisted. In most situations if a rope is needed there are not a lot of options to secure them without a lot of planning. Some folks do carry a light line to drop packs over or up "interesting" spots where the packs may get in the way. Given that on a nice day the Hunt trail resembles a loosely spaced conga line, there are usually folks catching up with folks who are having issues fairly quickly and the vast majority are willing to lend a hand.

CalebJ
12-03-2019, 13:02
Realistically there is no need to run ropes up Katahdin. There are no particular special skills that are needed on the hiking trails there and only there that have not been encountered numerous times as a hiker goes northbound on the AT. The hike from Glencliff to BSP will cover all the essential techniques that may be needed with plenty of "pop quizzes" along the way to practice , its just that the Hunt trail (the AT) has a concentration of several of them in about two thirds a mile section below the tablelands. 8 year old kids routinely climb to the summit via the AT unassisted. In most situations if a rope is needed there are not a lot of options to secure them without a lot of planning. Some folks do carry a light line to drop packs over or up "interesting" spots where the packs may get in the way. Given that on a nice day the Hunt trail resembles a loosely spaced conga line, there are usually folks catching up with folks who are having issues fairly quickly and the vast majority are willing to lend a hand.
I believe the OP has some mobility restrictions that he's previously posted about at WB.

illabelle
12-03-2019, 17:46
There's only one Kibs I know who would need a rope going up Momma K.
- Yoti

I believe the OP has some mobility restrictions that he's previously posted about at WB.

Indeed! I found this on another thread.

Trailname: kibs
Direction of travel: SOBO Harpers Ferry,WVa
Start date: April 1, 2019
note: my goal is to finish the remaining 1700 miles left over from last year after being forced to stop after breaking my ankle in 2 places near Bennington, Vermont. If I finish, I hope to be setting a new AT record as the first upper extremity amputee to hike the entire AT at age 66!!

fastfoxengineering
12-04-2019, 13:20
I've hiked with Kibs. He's an amputee. And 100% needs help going up Hunt Trail.