PDA

View Full Version : Using pain-killers on your thru hike....

Pages : [1] 2

longshank
03-07-2006, 18:31
I have heard of many hikers using everything from otc tylenol to oxycontin on their hikes. Do you/would you use or condone the use of painkillers on the trail? which would you/do you use/not use?

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 18:40
Condone??

Why is it anyone else's business what medications other folks are using? It's nobody's business, Longshank. What makes you think use by others is something that requires permission or needs to be condoned? What a silly thing for you to say.

But since you asked, the two most popular medications by far on the Trail are Ibuprofen or aspirin, followed by acetominophen and naproxen.

None of them require a presecription or permission.

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 18:48
Condone??

Why is it anyone else's business what medications other folks are using? It's nobody's business, Longshank. What makes you think use by others is something that requires permission or needs to be condoned? What a silly thing for you to say.

But since you asked, the two most popular medications by far on the Trail are Ibuprofen or aspirin, followed by acetominophen and naproxen.

None of them require a presecription or permission.

I agree, it IS nobodies business. However, one could choose to condone or not condone whatever one wishes ( even knowing full well that it makes no difference). You seem alittle defensive and uptight, some valium might do the trick, Jack

napster
03-07-2006, 18:50
Right on Jack!

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 18:50
I have heard of many hikers using everything from otc tylenol to oxycontin on their hikes. Do you/would you use or condone the use of painkillers on the trail? which would you/do you use/not use?
Real men suck it up and hike thru any pain. No meds. You'll probably have prescription something or other.

mambo_tango
03-07-2006, 18:52
Real men suck it up.

Real men huh? I hope you are joking.

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 18:54
Real men suck it up and hike thru any pain. No meds. You'll probably have prescription something or other.

I can't speak for shanks, but I plan on having prescription 'something or other', I don't need to suffer pain to prove i'm a man.

Tractor
03-07-2006, 18:54
A bit of caution - As the pain killers mask the pain you can really hurt yourself. The more pain killers you take the more damage you can do (to a knee for instance) as it takes more damage before it hurts.

That pain is telling you something important. Listen and adjust.

Also, too much / too many can mess with your stomach big time.

longshank
03-07-2006, 18:55
I'm not saying that anyone needs permission to do anything at all. Some people do not condone use of prescription level pain medication, others are indifferent, others promote it. My intent was to hear opinions from all sides. It was not a silly thing to say, It was a question of judgment asked. I myself am considering bringing some form of prescription pain killers as I have heard they can be really helpfull at some points. I would simply like to hear what everyone has to say about it, and also how they feel and what they think of it.And as far as what medications people using being nobody's business, it's nobody's business except for the person or people that they choose to share it with. If that happens to be on this thread, then what business is of yours?

longshank
03-07-2006, 18:56
that was meant

Jack Tarlin
Hey Kirk, I've been reading your posts here for some time now.

Has anyone told you recently that you're truly an arrogant ass-clown? Are you always such a monumental jerk every day of your life, or is it something you work at for your Internet forays? Honestly, between you and your pal Shanky, you've managed to make yourselves the two biggest asshats on this website, bar none.

Have a nice day.

Ridge
I seem to remember alcohol as being my drug of choice. Before. during, and after my thru-hike.

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 18:59

Has anyone told you recently that you're truly an arrogant ass-clown? Are you always such a monumental jerk every day of your life, or is it something you work at for your Internet forays? Honestly, between you and your pal Shanky, you've managed to make yourselves the two biggest asshats on this website, bar none.

Have a nice day.

Are we a little cranky-wanky today????:(

Ridge
03-07-2006, 19:00
[quote=longshank]..................quote]

Why does it take you three posts to print 12 words?????

napster
yeah shanky ya aught bring some oxys for yourself and captian kirk at least till ya make it outta Damacus.Them hills in the south can be rough going.

Jack Tarlin
So you're bored.

Why do you think anyone gives a fiddler's f*** about whether you're bored or not?

You come here to primarily stir up storms and be a bridge troll, and then you get all weepy and indignant when people tell you you're being a jerk.

Deal with it. If you don't like people calling you a horse's ass, then resolve to stop being one. Pretty simple, no?

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:01
Jack Tarlin, please stop antagonizing us already. You've had your fun, used up your sixth-grade schoolyard insults, no go away unless you have something to contribute. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 19:02
What Jack said.

KirkMcquest
03-07-2006, 19:02
I guess disagreeing with you makes me an 'ass-clown'??

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:03
So you're bored.

Why do you think anyone gives a fiddler's f*** about whether you're bored or not?

You come here to primarily stir up storms and be a bridge troll, and then you get all weepy and indignant when people tell you you're being a jerk.

Deal with it. If you don't like people calling you a horse's ass, then resolve to stop being one. Pretty simple, no?
Your opinion, having nothing to do with the thread, has been duly noted and filed under "I don't care". Go find someone else to bother, please.

KirkMcquest
yeah shanky ya aught bring some oxys for yourself and captian kirk at least till ya make it outta Damacus.Them hills in the south can be rough going.

Thanks for the advice

Jack Tarlin
Nah, you had already achieved that singular status long before you ever dis-agreed with me.

I suspect your condition goes back decades.

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:08
Nah, you had already achieved that singular status long before you ever dis-agreed with me.

I'm not sure whether what you just said makes sense or not, but whatever makes you grin, little buddy. No go play somewhere else. Get off my thread.

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:09
Just ignore him, Kirk.

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 19:13
"Get off my thread!"

Wow, who died and made you king of the website, pal?

Fact is, your precious thread is as worthless as you are, sonny.

If I choose to leave the thread, it's because I've better things to read, and not because of your bluster.

As I said earlier, if you resent people pointing out that you're being a fool, and it does indeed seem to get your knickers in a twist when they make this point, then all you have to do is refrain from saying foolish things.

It's not that tough a concept.

Bye, now, kiddo.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 19:15
This thread has turned out to be more entertaining than informative. I'm now going to the refrigerator for a cold bottle of pain-killer.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2006, 19:18
This thread has turned out to be more entertaining than informative. I'm now going to the refrigerator for a cold bottle of pain-killer.
Nothing Kirk a.k.a. McQ posts is uninformative. Just one douchebag acting as two.:D

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:19

Have a nice day.
hahahahaha. That's hilarious. He has an great talent with words.

But to respond to your original question, yes I think you should take pain killers along. I've been hurt in a few (non-hiking) situations where were it not for the availability of pain killers my adventures would have been cut short or at the least come to an embarassing conclusion where I would have needed outside assistance to exit the situation.

Someone else pointed out that you can seriously injure yourself by using them and they are absolutely correct. Joint pain being the most likely scenario. A serious knee/ankle injury can be overlooked if you keep eating the pills and you can do yourself fantastic amounts of harm by pressing on under the influence of an opiate. The pills would best be used if you were to fall an break an arm or collar bone and wanted to be able to walk out under your own power. OTC medicaitons should be able to handle anything else.

If you're in "terrible pain" and can't suck it up but still have the energy to whine about being hurt you probably aren't hurt that bad. I have found that the sleepy-time OTC meds suit these situations best. (Tylenol PM, Goody's PM, ect...) It's amazing what a good nights sleep can do for "terrible pain".

All that being said, your body is designed to deal with massive amounts of pain. Our society has made it so that your body usually doesn't get the chance to compensate for the pain before people start popping pills. Real pain meds should only be used in dire situations; otherwise take two Tylenol or suck it up. The pain will go away.

Skidsteer
03-07-2006, 19:19

A congenital condition perhaps? Maybe even hereditary for all we know. Yes that must be it! He is the progeny of asshats. ;)

Whistler
03-07-2006, 19:20
So, back on topic. On long hikes, I'll keep an ibuprofen or 6 along for the first few days out. I never use them during daylight hours, only before bed. The idea is to fight inflammation and help the joints get a fresh start the next day. Sometimes it's easier to sleep when you're not achy, too. After the first few days, I keep a couple in reserve for The Big One, whatever it may be. Otherwise, no more.

-Mark

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:23
I really don't have a problem with the McQuest/Longshanks duo. I think it represents how far the Internet has evolved. You would expect similar personality types in normal public situations and the fact they are here just goes to show you how the Internet is actually becoming a real tool to be leveraged by the public. Besides sometimes they are funny and do make good points from time to time.

Can't we all just get along.....

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:27
Sleepy Time Meds (Tylenol PM, Goody's PM, etc...) are also fantastic when the weather makes it too miserable to sleep. A few Goody's and you can sleep naked outside in 10* temps while it's sleeting. You can take the whole six pack of Goody's with no visible negative effects if it gets really bad. Just don't drink booze if you take a bunch of sleepy meds; it messes up your dreams and there is the possibility you won't wake up.....

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:27
Whistler and Badger, thank you for not jumping on the wolf/tarlin bandwagon. Also, thank you for your USEFUL contribution to this thread.

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:29
I was thinking of taking vicodins along with a few oxycontins in case of emergency

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:30
Whistler and Badger, thank you for not jumping on the wolf/tarlin bandwagon. Also, thank you for your USEFUL contribution to this thread.

I'm pretty sure everybody here would be considered an a**hole depending on the situation they were in. It's difficult to make character assesments when people are outside their element. And nobody is in their element on the Internet, that's why it's "virtual". :)

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:30
Basically,

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:31
I was thinking of taking vicodins along with a few oxycontins in case of emergency

Leave the OC's at home man. If you are hurt bad enough need OC's then it will be way cooler if you don't use them. Those things are bad news anyway.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 19:33
Why do people bother reading posts they think are offensive and or improper and then comment on how offensive and improper they are? Blows my mind....I don't read posts I'm not interested in...it just that simple.

Anyhow, I tend to stay away from narcotic painkillers while on trail cause I have a hell of a time getting off them after taking them for a few days. A good alternative is Ultram(tramadol) which is a non-narcotic painkiller which delivers the same "effect". It's cheap if you have no insurance and it does the trick if taken before bed time. I don't take it much during the day as it seems to lead to an uncontrollable sex drive. But I don't mind that side affect too much.

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:34
Some people just don't take kindly to opinions that aren't their own. They feel they need to belittle someone else in order to validate their own opinions to them selves, It's a defensive manuver even though there is no percievable attack from the other side. It's all in their heads. It's not us.

Skidsteer
03-07-2006, 19:37
I'm pretty sure everybody here would be considered an a**hole depending on the situation they were in. It's difficult to make character assesments when people are outside their element. And nobody is in their element on the Internet, that's why it's "virtual". :)

Strike the word "condone" and the original thread question is very useful IMO. As to being an a**hole, I fear I'm guilty of that often enough even when I'm in my "element". :D

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:37
Removed
Hey Nappy-poo, so nice to hear your always-insightful voice in the room. Nice to kno people are conscious of the topic being discussed and are able to approach it in a mature manner. Love'ya buddy.

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:39
Why do people bother reading posts they think are offensive and or improper and then comment on how offensive and improper they are? Blows my mind....I don't read posts I'm not interested in...it just that simple.

Anyhow, I tend to stay away from narcotic painkillers while on trail cause I have a hell of a time getting off them after taking them for a few days. A good alternative is Ultram(tramadol) which is a non-narcotic painkiller which delivers the same "effect". It's cheap if you have no insurance and it does the trick if taken before bed time. I don't take it much during the day as it seems to lead to an uncontrollable sex drive. But I don't mind that side affect too much.
Tramadol, huh? Can you get it online?

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 19:39
Some people just don't take kindly to opinions that aren't their own. They feel they need to belittle someone else in order to validate their own opinions to them selves, It's a defensive manuver even though there is no percievable attack from the other side. It's all in their heads. It's not us.

Often called argumentum ad hominem

longshank
03-07-2006, 19:45
What is wrong with the word condone?

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 19:51
The problem with the word, Longshanks, is that it suggests that's it up to other hikers to condone, approve, or otherwise give permission to other hikers in regards to private personal matters, such as medication.

Anyone that would ask "Would you condone the use of painkillers by others?" obviously misses the point that it's not up you or anyone else to "condone" what other people are doing for first-aid. In short, if folks elect to use medications for personal trouble out there, that's THEIR decision and it's not your palce (or anyone else's) to approve or "condone" this behavior.

It simply isn't anyone else's business.

When you've achieved more time and mileage on the Trail, perhaps you'll realize this.

napster
03-07-2006, 19:59
Sorry loanshanked I need to get my specks checked, I thought you posted condom or I woud'nt ever..Anyway I don't wantta get your thread booted like you did mine with your whinning in "winds of change" .Ya'll boys go and have a good hike now.
:eek:

Ridge
03-07-2006, 20:03
I'm beginning to think pain-killers are more needed now than when I'm on the AT. Hey babe, get me another cold bottle of "pain-killer" from the frig.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 20:03
Tramadol, huh? Can you get it online?

...not sure, I never tried. My doc usually gives me the script before a long hike.

saimyoji
03-07-2006, 20:07
Initial replies to this post, mainly led by JT have led to the anti-LS sentiment here. IN MY OPINIOIN (you can't attack me because I'm only stating my opinioin, right LS?)

If we were to all just chill out a little, we'd see that this thread, and many others, are not meant to precipitate honest dailogue. They are meant as a means to state and defend one's own position.

I find it humorous/ironic when someone says: HYOH, and then calls someone an asshat for doing just that. Its also ironic when someone admits to using a certain drug to make their hike more enjoyable, then calls other people out for using their own drug of choice to make their hike enjoyable (lets presume the drugs are all LEGAL!!!!! VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE)

longshanks: Do you agree with the idea of Hike You Own Hike? Does this mean that you agree other people should be allowed to Hike Their Own Hikes? Without taking you to task, some of your posts do make it seem otherwise.

Personally, I go for the "ole demon alkyhol." Where is that frozen ole coot anyhow? SMS??

bfitz
03-07-2006, 20:07
2 "ripped fuels" (caffiene+ephedrine+asprin) and 1 vicodin blasted me up the mahousic arms one day when I was feelin worn down.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 20:13
LOL...I used to take ephedrine when I was a truck driver. I remember about every 10 mins I was checking my pulse, and a few times it was skippin like a metallica rythym from 1987. Good stuff!

saimyoji
03-07-2006, 20:15
LOL...I used to take ephedrine when I was a truck driver. I remember about every 10 mins I was checking my pulse, and a few times it was skippin like a metallica rythym from 1987. Good stuff!

"Adrenaline it starts to flow
You're thrashin all around,
acting like a maniac.....WHIPLASH"

Skidsteer
03-07-2006, 20:16
Personally, I go for the "ole demon alkyhol." Where is that frozen ole coot anyhow? SMS??

I've been wondering the same thing.:confused:

longshank
03-07-2006, 20:31
The problem with the word, Longshanks, is that it suggests that's it up to other hikers to condone, approve, or otherwise give permission to other hikers in regards to private personal matters, such as medication.

Anyone that would ask "Would you condone the use of painkillers by others?" obviously misses the point that it's not up you or anyone else to "condone" what other people are doing for first-aid. In short, if folks elect to use medications for personal trouble out there, that's THEIR decision and it's not your palce (or anyone else's) to approve or "condone" this behavior.

When you've achieved more time and mileage on the Trail, perhaps you'll realize this.
miles on the trail have nothing to do with the semantics of this discourse.To condone and to give premission are two completely different things. I have every right to ask for opinions from people who condone or do not condone something, and they have a right to answer me or not. Nobody's asking you or anyone else for anything against your will. No one's telling you what to do. I would never condone someone doing that to you.

longshank
03-07-2006, 20:37
Initial replies to this post, mainly led by JT have led to the anti-LS sentiment here. IN MY OPINIOIN (you can't attack me because I'm only stating my opinioin, right LS?)

If we were to all just chill out a little, we'd see that this thread, and many others, are not meant to precipitate honest dailogue. They are meant as a means to state and defend one's own position.

I find it humorous/ironic when someone says: HYOH, and then calls someone an asshat for doing just that. Its also ironic when someone admits to using a certain drug to make their hike more enjoyable, then calls other people out for using their own drug of choice to make their hike enjoyable (lets presume the drugs are all LEGAL!!!!! VERY IMPORTANT POINT HERE)

longshanks: Do you agree with the idea of Hike You Own Hike? Does this mean that you agree other people should be allowed to Hike Their Own Hikes? Without taking you to task, some of your posts do make it seem otherwise.

Again, I would never stand in the way of someone doing something that they wanted to do how they wished to do it. I have a right to form my own opinion about, just as they have the same. Difference of opinion are what make conversation interesting. However, they ARE meant to precipitate honest discussion, as you can see by the ON-TOPIC post to this and my other threads. Have your opinions, but don't attack me personally, wolf, tarlin, napster. I doubt you be so quick with the nasty talk if I were standing in front of me, or if you hung out with me on the trail not knowing who I am. You're judging someone you know nothing about.

Alligator
03-07-2006, 20:41
Might be running the dogs.

bfitz
03-07-2006, 20:47
"Adrenaline it starts to flow
You're thrashin all around,
acting like a maniac.....WHIPLASH"
That's exactly what was going through my head at the time...

saimyoji
03-07-2006, 20:53
Again, I would never stand in the way of someone doing something that they wanted to do how they wished to do it. I have a right to form my own opinion about, just as they have the same. Difference of opinion are what make conversation interesting. However, they ARE meant to precipitate honest discussion, as you can see by the ON-TOPIC post to this and my other threads. Have your opinions, but don't attack me personally, wolf, tarlin, napster. I doubt you be so quick with the nasty talk if I were standing in front of me, or if you hung out with me on the trail not knowing who I am. You're judging someone you know nothing about.

Well, this is my point. You do have an opinion, and more power to you for caring. Others also have opinions, more power to them. The friction occurs when you say: "What you do is wrong!" Just have a look at the middle east peace fiasco, or our own political system. Things tend not to get accomplished.

What do you want to accomplish on this thread? I'm assuming that you want to get a tally from various hikers about what types of LEGAL drugs people take on the trail to deal with various ails? Very good.

<!-- / icon and title -->Your post: <!-- message --> "I have heard of many hikers using everything from otc tylenol to oxycontin on their hikes. Do you/would you use or condone the use of painkillers on the trail? which would you/do you use/not use?"

Asks what hikers would condone. Why would you want to know what they condone? Why not just ask what people use? You say you don't care what people will tolerate/put up with/ etc. but you do ask what they would condone (condone means to overlook, disregard, forgive....)

Lets reverse the question: What would you condone? In other words, would you put up with people toking up in the shelter? Would you have a problem with people snorting lines off the picnic table, or shooting up?

If you disagree, but do not speak up, are you condoning something? Maybe this is the larger question.

ITE: HYOH IMO, I won't tell you to Foff, unless my hiking partner wants me too. Be cool. Sleep on the ground.

Listen to Metallica.

Sly
03-07-2006, 20:54
Like Whistler, I'll take a couple Ibuprofen or Naproxen at night in order to relieve swelling and inflamation in the knees but usually continue for the 1st week or two. After that I'll save them for the "Big One" or long and strenuous day.

saimyoji
03-07-2006, 20:57
Please correct me: it has been my understanding that a script. is required for Naproxen.

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 20:59
Please correct me: it has been my understanding that a script. is required for Naproxen.

I think that's the chemical name for the active ingredient in Advil...no RX required.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 21:00

Naproxen is Aleve. Bought anywhere, without a script.

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 21:02

Right, Aleve not Advil. My bad.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 21:05
Well, this is my point. You do have an opinion, and more power to you for caring. Others also have opinions, more power to them. The friction occurs when you say: "What you do is wrong!" Just have a look at the middle east peace fiasco, or our own political system. Things tend not to get accomplished.

What do you want to accomplish on this thread? I'm assuming that you want to get a tally from various hikers about what types of LEGAL drugs people take on the trail to deal with various ails? Very good.

<!-- / icon and title -->Your post: <!-- message --> "I have heard of many hikers using everything from otc tylenol to oxycontin on their hikes. Do you/would you use or condone the use of painkillers on the trail? which would you/do you use/not use?"

Asks what hikers would condone. Why would you want to know what they condone? Why not just ask what people use? You say you don't care what people will tolerate/put up with/ etc. but you do ask what they would condone (condone means to overlook, disregard, forgive....)

Lets reverse the question: What would you condone? In other words, would you put up with people toking up in the shelter? Would you have a problem with people snorting lines off the picnic table, or shooting up?

If you disagree, but do not speak up, are you condoning something? Maybe this is the larger question.

ITE: HYOH IMO, I won't tell you to Foff, unless my hiking partner wants me too. Be cool. Sleep on the ground.

Listen to Metallica.

You can listen to Tool too if ya like...they have a lot of crazy timing. Anyways, I'm feelin like maybe LS didn't look up "condone" in his Websters before starting this tread. I'm thinking it may just be a valid question on something we all consider before gettin' in the car, bus, plane, etc...I don't condone the use of crack but I have no choice but to put up with it as I cannot change the fact that there are guys hittin' the stem down the block. Also I can't fathom a hiker toking up on the trail, I would be asleep .10 miles in...but what are ya gonna do? Fughetaboudit.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 21:06

Quick correction; Naproxen sodium is aleve. Naproxen is taken by Rx only.

handlebar
03-07-2006, 21:12
I think that's the chemical name for the active ingredient in Advil...no RX required.

Sorry, the active ingredient in Advil is ibuprofen---good, old vitamin I. Plus I do think naproxen is now available over the counter as such generically and also under some $50,000 brand name that Madison Av dreamed up.

I'd neither condone or not condone people doing whatever they want to their own bodies, provided I don't have to haul their bodies out to a trailhead for emergency treatment or burial. MYOB (mind your own business) seems to make sense here. I think Jack T's point was that it's not up to us to condone as long as whatever drugs folks are doing (legal of course) don't interfere with our own hikes.

Now except for the regretable word "condone" there can be value in a discussion of how use of painkillers can help one's hike. Like someone posted, for us older guys an ibuprofen now and then can help with the aches and pains that come more naturally to those of us who are more mature. I agree it's best to take after hiking (and on a full stomach to avoid gastro-intestinal side-effects). They can help quench inflammation which actually can exacerbate injuries. In fact, I took one at supper today after my 8 mile training hike with full pack. Helps my 60 year-old knees immensely.

Speaking from personal experience, ibuprofen was a hike-saver when I fell in the Canadian Rockies and hit the soft tissue of my knee hard on a pesky root. My knee swelled up something fierce, but the iboprofen over two days took the swelling down and enabled me to walk on.

Handlebar

Ridge
03-07-2006, 21:16
Quick correction; Naproxen sodium is aleve. Naproxen is taken by Rx only.

Actually both are the same thing. The larger mg of pill was by script only. It became otc when the pill was sized down, aka Aleve along with a few other brands. Not that any of this is important at all.

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 21:22
Looks like our clinical pharmacology is in disagreeance. I'm 99.9% sure that naproxen sodium reacts differently on neural receptors than does the chemical trade neme "naproxen". I like to read the little pamphlets that come with my pills. Yeah, I agree, this is silly but I'm havin a good time! Maybe it's the metallica and the guiness...

irritable_badger
03-07-2006, 21:24
Looks like our clinical pharmacology is in disagreeance. I'm 99.9% sure that naproxen sodium reacts differently on neural receptors than does the chemical trade neme "naproxen". I like to read the little pamphlets that come with my pills. Yeah, I agree, this is silly but I'm havin a good time! Maybe it's the metallica and the guiness...

Those little pamphlets scare the crap out of me. There's often some scary stuff in there.

napster
03-07-2006, 21:32

Horsepoopie there is no evidence that supports ultram as being any effect to the sex drive and you better take a good supply of priloec with you cuz it will fac yo stomach up! Tramadol may be non narcotic but will/can throw you back into withdrawal from opiods/ benzos withdrawal and....tramadol has no euphoric values.Better to take motrim. Less $ No RX required.. Glad it works for you sleepwalker.Just don't take it before you go to sleep it might keep you awake:eek:

sleepwalker
03-07-2006, 21:41
Horsepoopie there is no evidence that supports ultram as being any effect to the sex drive and you better take a good supply of priloec with you cuz it will fac yo stomach up! Tramadol may be non narcotic but will/can throw you back into withdrawal from opiods/ benzos withdrawal and....tramadol has no euphoric values.Better to take motrim. Less $ No RX required.. Glad it works for you sleepwalker.Just don't take it before you go to sleep it might keep you awake:eek:

Geez...have ya ever take ultrams? I could real all I want about it, but the proof is in the pudding. When I take ultram, all I wanna do is play a little Harry Connick Jr and have a dance with the wife. I don't admit this often, but here it is. I have no idea why it works like this for me...and I hear ya, I gave a couple to my sexually vexed friend and he did not have this sexual epiphany...what can ya say. I have not had had much experience with prilosec so I cannot comment. More guiness please...

longshank
03-07-2006, 21:50

Listen to Metallica.
I was also looking to hear from people who objected , or did not "condone" the use of PRESCRIPTION strength painkillers on the trail. I was looking for fact AND opinion, while every body engaged in a self-indulgent state of self-rightousness over the implications of my using the word condone. You know what I mean, you know how I feel, and you're free to state your opinions on the topic of this thread as you see fit, but leavre the personal attacks out of it, please. I don't think any one condones that.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 21:56
I was also looking to hear from people who objected , or did not "condone" the use of PRESCRIPTION strength painkillers on the trail. I was looking for fact AND opinion........

I hereby grant you permission to use whatever form of pain relief you wish. You can bring a bong with a bale of pot if you need to, just leave the dog at home.

the goat
03-07-2006, 23:22
i prefer all natural remedies :sun

...only downside is premature-foodbag-reduction:D

napster
03-07-2006, 23:36
I was also looking to hear from people who objected , or did not "condone" the use of PRESCRIPTION strength painkillers on the trail. I was looking for fact AND opinion, while every body engaged in a self-indulgent state of self-rightousness over the implications of my using the word condone. You know what I mean, you know how I feel, and you're free to state your opinions on the topic of this thread as you see fit, but leavre the personal attacks out of it, please. I don't think any one condones that.

Bullscat Long Shanky or/and mcquess
Heres a fact...Your have obliged long saying and contentions on this web site for too long......HERE"S my opinion...Kiss my Ace and all your crap stirring cafe poop you stirred.!

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 23:43
Longshank:

Gee, thanks for the lecture about semantics and word definitions, but save it, I don't really think you're fit to be lecturing on that subject.

You pointed out that there's a difference between "to condone" and "to give permission."

Well, gosh, thanks. Some of us already knew that.

What you're overlooking, tho, is that the word "condone" means to forgive, to absolve, to overlook, or to disregard. If one condoines something, one is effectively stating that one is forgiving or absolving something that has caused offense. And no, Shanks, that's not merely my opinion. That's actually what the word means. It comes from the Latin "condonare" which means to absolve or to pardon.

So the objection here to your term "condone" was perfectly legitimate. The clear implication from your very opening post on this thread was that how individuals elected to treat their own injuries and personal problems was something that neeeded the approval or forgiveness of other hikers, and if that's what you truly believe, you really don't know a whole lot about the Trail or how people behave out there. Which means my comment about your ignorance of the realities of life on the Trail is also legitimate: Instead of posting here six times a day at least, you should perhaps hike a bit and actually learn something about the Trail you claim to be such an expert on.

And as to your recent post that the comments I've made here wouldn't be said to your face, well that's also nonsense. I never say ANYTHING here that I don't take credit for that I'm not willing to own up to or something that I'm not willing to state publicly. That's one of the reasons I post under my real name here instead of a cute pseudonym or Trail nickname. So if you think I say stuff here I wouldn't say to someone in person, you are again mistaken.

And lastly, you said recently that I don't really know you. Well, that's true.

But I do know you from your posts, their content, and their tone. You've been nothing but deliberately unpleasant and offensive since you arrived here in early January. In sixty-odd days, you've posted over six hundred times. On your very first day here, you joined a discussion about slackpacking that had been going on since May, and you felt the need to post to that thread something like forty times in one day, and most of your posts were foolish. It was the quantity, tone, and attitude of your posts that eventually got the thread locked down, a thread that had some very interesting stuff in it......til you joined and effectively hi-jacked the discussion.

So yeah, I don't really know you. But I know you pretty well from your posts here, and I judge you by how I value the worth of most of your contributions here.

And in both cases, you're found wanting. No, I don't know you personally, and guess what?

For this, I'm not entirely ungrateful.

Old Spice
03-07-2006, 23:44

If you do, then be careful. Cops don't go easy on people who have them without a prescription... Not that I think that there will be many thru-hiker cops on the trail.

napster
03-08-2006, 00:08
Shanks and/or Kurt mcquevti,

But I do know you from your posts, their content, and their tone. You've been nothing but deliberately unpleasant and offensive since you arrived here in early January. In sixty-odd days, you've posted over six hundred times. On your very first day here, you joined a discussion about slackpacking that had been going on since May, and you felt the need to post to that thread something like forty times in one day, and most of your posts were foolish. It was the quantity, tone, and attitude of your posts that eventually got the thread locked down, a thread that had some very interesting stuff in it......til you joined and effectively hi-jacked the discussion

Like JT says You have made yoself well known Now lets sat around the fire and discuss .BRo...:(

longshank
03-08-2006, 05:47
Longshank:

Gee, thanks for the lecture about semantics and word definitions, but save it, I don't really think you're fit to be lecturing on that subject.

You pointed out that there's a difference between "to condone" and "to give permission."

Well, gosh, thanks. Some of us already knew that.

What you're overlooking, tho, is that the word "condone" means to forgive, to absolve, to overlook, or to disregard. If one condoines something, one is effectively stating that one is forgiving or absolving something that has caused offense. And no, Shanks, that's not merely my opinion. That's actually what the word means. It comes from the Latin "condonare" which means to absolve or to pardon.

So the objection here to your term "condone" was perfectly legitimate. The clear implication from your very opening post on this thread was that how individuals elected to treat their own injuries and personal problems was something that neeeded the approval or forgiveness of other hikers, and if that's what you truly believe, you really don't know a whole lot about the Trail or how people behave out there. Which means my comment about your ignorance of the realities of life on the Trail is also legitimate: Instead of posting here six times a day at least, you should perhaps hike a bit and actually learn something about the Trail you claim to be such an expert on.

And as to your recent post that the comments I've made here wouldn't be said to your face, well that's also nonsense. I never say ANYTHING here that I don't take credit for that I'm not willing to own up to or something that I'm not willing to state publicly. That's one of the reasons I post under my real name here instead of a cute pseudonym or Trail nickname. So if you think I say stuff here I wouldn't say to someone in person, you are again mistaken.

And lastly, you said recently that I don't really know you. Well, that's true.

But I do know you from your posts, their content, and their tone. You've been nothing but deliberately unpleasant and offensive since you arrived here in early January. In sixty-odd days, you've posted over six hundred times. On your very first day here, you joined a discussion about slackpacking that had been going on since May, and you felt the need to post to that thread something like forty times in one day, and most of your posts were foolish. It was the quantity, tone, and attitude of your posts that eventually got the thread locked down, a thread that had some very interesting stuff in it......til you joined and effectively hi-jacked the discussion.

So yeah, I don't really know you. But I know you pretty well from your posts here, and I judge you by how I value the worth of most of your contributions here.

And in both cases, you're found wanting. No, I don't know you personally, and guess what?

For this, I'm not entirely ungrateful.
Frankly, you're not fit to be lecturing me as to what I am fit or not fit to be discussing, so stop right there. And as for knowing the difference between "condoneing" and "giving permission", clearly you don't, or you would not be engaging me in this sophmoroic semantic debate. Yes, I was looking for opinions from people who object and support one side or other of the issue in question. So what? What do you care, Mr. moral high horse? Please stop wasting your time instructing me on how to conduct my queries, whatever is frustrating you deep down would be better discussed with a licsensed thereapist. The people who have contributed to this thread constructivlely have seen no problem with it. If you don't like it, then bug off. Find some other white whale to chase. If someone "condones", or "disregards", use of phamacueticals and they would like to express that view on this thread, then let them, and vice versa. Stop being such a blockhead and attacking me for the sake of doing it. Grow up, Jack. Stop trying to act superior. Your immature attack on me is uncalled for. Face it, your'e the baby here. If you want to disagree, you're welcome to. There's no need to be abrasive and nasty aout it. I have'nt instigated any of this. If it were so objectionable, then why are you the only one objecting? You're championing the wrong causes, JT.

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 06:02
Shanks and/or Kurt mcquevti,

But I do know you from your posts, their content, and their tone. You've been nothing but deliberately unpleasant and offensive since you arrived here in early January. In sixty-odd days, you've posted over six hundred times. On your very first day here, you joined a discussion about slackpacking that had been going on since May, and you felt the need to post to that thread something like forty times in one day, and most of your posts were foolish. It was the quantity, tone, and attitude of your posts that eventually got the thread locked down, a thread that had some very interesting stuff in it......til you joined and effectively hi-jacked the discussion

Like JT says You have made yoself well known Now lets sat around the fire and discuss .BRo...:(

Nappy,
You may want to consider your own content and tone. You've been nasty and inflammatory in all your recent posts. In fact, you created a thread for the sole purpose of bashing LS and myself. Where is all this coming from, all of a sudden? Were you trapped under a rock somewhere, nursing your hatred for me? Clearly, LS started this thread in earnest, trying to get peoples opinions regarding painkillers. Jack T., had some problem with his use of the word 'condone' and you jumped on the band wagon, but really had nothing substantial to add. You are obviously unable to argue facts, the only thing you are capable of is spewing hate and sewing discord. Here's a news flash for you and JT, if you don't like my opinions, or the way I voice them, TOOOOOO BAAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!

Grampie
03-08-2006, 10:06
I'm not saying that anyone needs permission to do anything at all. Some people do not condone use of prescription level pain medication, others are indifferent, others promote it. My intent was to hear opinions from all sides. It was not a silly thing to say, It was a question of judgment asked. I myself am considering bringing some form of prescription pain killers as I have heard they can be really helpfull at some points. I would simply like to hear what everyone has to say about it, and also how they feel and what they think of it.And as far as what medications people using being nobody's business, it's nobody's business except for the person or people that they choose to share it with. If that happens to be on this thread, then what business is of yours?
Doesn't this go along with: HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE?
What one has to do, to make their hike better, for them. It's their own business.
At least that's the way I see it.:-?

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 10:28
Oxycontin on the trail for pain relief? Why not heroin? I mean, why fool around?

I stick to Vitamin I, and then only when I really need it. It's better than tylenol because its an anti-inflammatory. Some take it as a prophylactic. A hiking buddy and regular here prefers the generic brand of Aleve.

I agree with Grampie. HYOH.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 10:36
Pain is weakness leaving the body. Don't mask it.

kyhipo
03-08-2006, 11:08
Pain is weakness leaving the body. Don't mask it.I agree with L.wolf you can do severe damage trying to mask your pain or injury.ky

orangebug
03-08-2006, 12:12
Many object to the tone and subject matter by simply avoiding the discussion. Clearly, this guy has little interest in knowing about analgesia, if his plan involves opiates only. Jack has appropriately pegged the agenda and semantics. I doubt Jack needs to attempt to be superior.

If only RnR was still around. We would have a truly unholy triad.

betic4lyf
03-08-2006, 12:51
i usually just cook up a batch of meth before i hike. actually i don't. Ibuprofine maybe, but more for the antiinflamatory than anything., and mostly for if i fall on something bad. if you are haveing chronic pane, you should deal with the problem, as it is your body's way of saying something before something breaks, or explodes

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 13:13
Doesn't this go along with: HIKE YOUR OWN HIKE?
What one has to do, to make their hike better, for them. It's their own business.
At least that's the way I see it.:-?

Yes I don't think LS is suggesting that we try to prevent anyone from hiking their own hike. Does HYOH mean that others are not allowed to have an opinion??

longshank
03-08-2006, 13:15
Many object to the tone and subject matter by simply avoiding the discussion. Clearly, this guy has little interest in knowing about analgesia, if his plan involves opiates only. Jack has appropriately pegged the agenda and semantics. I doubt Jack needs to attempt to be superior.

If only RnR was still around. We would have a truly unholy triad.
My point is that I want to know what people use. I've heard of people using 'script level pain killers on the trail, and was wondering how common that was, and what people's opinions of it are. Jack hasn't pegged anything, he has simply lashed out at me for the use of a single word. I don't think he or anyone should try to be superior. That's one of the problems here. Live and let live, huh? Why not?

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 13:17
Personally, I 'condone' the use of painkillers while hiking ( that means I think its a good idea, in laymans terms), when in an emergency they could come in handy. Also, on those days when you are trail beaten, but still have a few miles to go, some tylenol could do the trick and make your hike more enjoyable.

Marta
03-08-2006, 13:24
I had three children without painkillers. I think I can hike without Oxycontin.

Gray Blazer
03-08-2006, 13:27
Hey Jack, KirkAKAlongstanks has been baiting people for a while. As a matter of fact, someone said heAKAthey was a master at it.....Anyway ...to answer your original question....I bring morphine patches in case someone really gets hurt.....If noone gets hurt I roll them up and smoke 'em.:banana

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 13:39
Hey Jack, KirkAKAlongstanks has been baiting people for a while. As a matter of fact, someone said heAKAthey was a master at it.....Anyway ...to answer your original question....I bring morphine patches in case someone really gets hurt.....If noone gets hurt I roll them up and smoke 'em.:banana

I don't know what kirk aka longshanks is suppose to mean, not only have the managers of this web site proven that we are two diff people, but we have posted our pictures on this site ( see faces pics from LS). Just because we agree on a number of points, your lumping us together. And I guess if your really arrogant, then you would view my having a different opinion as 'baiting'

longshank
Oh we are good at it, that's why we're not taking the bait from these amateurs. I promosed attroll that I would keep things civilized, and I intend to do just that. So fire away, guys. Do your worst and see how far it gets you. Were you serious about the morphine, though?

greentick
I thought I would toss in a couple of pennies...

You pillbox could contain:

Ibuprofen 200mg (generic for advil, motrin, nuprin - you can pretty much use whatever store brand is the cheapest). in the 200mg dose. Always try to take it with some food, especially if using consecutive doses. For consecutive dosing the rule of thumb for max dose is 1hour per 100mg: ex. take 800mg (4 tabs) every 8hr or 600mg every 6hr (better dose for long term use). If using less works, obviously use less. For pain relief use one dose. For inflammation usually takes a couple of days of multiple dosing to get full effect. Works the best for fever control too. If you like Naproxen better substitute it here.

Pepcid 20mg (famitodine is the generic). Uses: heartburn (after the trail food and ibuprofen;) ) and allergic reactions. Can take every 12hrs if needed. If you are going to eat something that you know will give you heartburn take it about an hour before (just like the commercial says). If you get into poison ivy, etc you can use it to control itching without the drowsiness of benedryl. Use 'em together for even better relief.

Aspirin. If you have heart attack risk factors or are hiking with someone who does pack a few. If they start with some chest pain good ole aspirin is still a frontline treatment. You can also crush it, moisten it and put it on bug bites. Will work for fevers too. Avoid long term use at full doses or your gut may suffer.

24hrs (4-6 tabs) of a narcotic such as lortab/vicodin or percocet among others. You may only be able to get this if you have a good relationship with your primary care provider. A few tabs will have minimal abuse potential (read: addiction) and if you break a bone and are immobilized may make your stay more comfortable until someone stumbles on you. Another fairly common pain complaint: kidney stones. As previously mentioned in this thread, narcs only MASK your pain, just symptomatic relief, so their use should be in extremis. Alternate/multitasking: will slow down diarrhea, will quiet a cough when nothing else works.

Benedryl 25mg (or whatever store brand, generic diphenhydramine). Multiple uses but sedating. Allergic reaction: blocks the mechanism that causes it take 2. Cough suppressant take 1. Anti-nausea take 1. Sleep aid take 1-2.

Antibiotic: the best "if you have to carry just one type" is Levaquin (no generic yet) 500mg. 10 pills. Easy dosing, just one per day. Will work for just about anything: urinary tract infection 3-5 days. Respiratory/sinus 10days. Skin infections or penetrating trauma 3-7 days. Anthrax: its got you covered. Persistant (more than 4-5 days) or bloody diarrhea: take for up to 1 week. Again you will need an RX for this.

I keep a ziploc container (light tough and disposible) with this stuff in ziplocs. You can make a little cheat sheet with all dosings, shrink it down to the smallest readable size and drop it in the container too.

If you are carrying RXs snip the info and put it somewhere waterproof in case you run into the thruhiker cops :eek: .

Also useful:a card with your medical/surgical history, daily meds and doses, and allergies in case you end up in the ER somewhere.

Greentick out.

Old Spice
03-08-2006, 14:58
Pain is weakness leaving the body. Don't mask it.

God, this is the greatest thing I have ever heard. I'm stealing it.

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 15:00
God, this is the greatest thing I have ever heard. I'm stealing it.

About the most originality that any writer can hope to achieve honestly is to steal with good judgment.
Josh Billings (1818-1885)

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 15:20

Ibuprofen 200mg (generic for advil, motrin, nuprin - you can pretty much use whatever store brand is the cheapest). in the 200mg dose. Always try to take it with some food, especially if using consecutive doses. For consecutive dosing the rule of thumb for max dose is 1hour per 100mg: ex. take 800mg (4 tabs) every 8hr or 600mg every 6hr (better dose for long term use). If using less works, obviously use less. For pain relief use one dose. For inflammation usually takes a couple of days of multiple dosing to get full effect. Works the best for fever control too. If you like Naproxen better substitute it here.

Pepcid 20mg (famitodine is the generic). Uses: heartburn (after the trail food and ibuprofen;) ) and allergic reactions. Can take every 12hrs if needed. If you are going to eat something that you know will give you heartburn take it about an hour before (just like the commercial says). If you get into poison ivy, etc you can use it to control itching without the drowsiness of benedryl. Use 'em together for even better relief.

Aspirin. If you have heart attack risk factors or are hiking with someone who does pack a few. If they start with some chest pain good ole aspirin is still a frontline treatment. You can also crush it, moisten it and put it on bug bites. Will work for fevers too. Avoid long term use at full doses or your gut may suffer.

24hrs (4-6 tabs) of a narcotic such as lortab/vicodin or percocet among others. You may only be able to get this if you have a good relationship with your primary care provider. A few tabs will have minimal abuse potential (read: addiction) and if you break a bone and are immobilized may make your stay more comfortable until someone stumbles on you. Another fairly common pain complaint: kidney stones. As previously mentioned in this thread, narcs only MASK your pain, just symptomatic relief, so their use should be in extremis. Alternate/multitasking: will slow down diarrhea, will quiet a cough when nothing else works.

Benedryl 25mg (or whatever store brand, generic diphenhydramine). Multiple uses but sedating. Allergic reaction: blocks the mechanism that causes it take 2. Cough suppressant take 1. Anti-nausea take 1. Sleep aid take 1-2.

Antibiotic: the best "if you have to carry just one type" is Levaquin (no generic yet) 500mg. 10 pills. Easy dosing, just one per day. Will work for just about anything: urinary tract infection 3-5 days. Respiratory/sinus 10days. Skin infections or penetrating trauma 3-7 days. Anthrax: its got you covered. Persistant (more than 4-5 days) or bloody diarrhea: take for up to 1 week. Again you will need an RX for this.

I keep a ziploc container (light tough and disposible) with this stuff in ziplocs. You can make a little cheat sheet with all dosings, shrink it down to the smallest readable size and drop it in the container too.

If you are carrying RXs snip the info and put it somewhere waterproof in case you run into the thruhiker cops :eek: .

Also useful:a card with your medical/surgical history, daily meds and doses, and allergies in case you end up in the ER somewhere.

Greentick out.

Nice list. That could be the basis for an article here on WB. I'd add Imodium and maybe some kind of chewable laxative. It's a bitch being out in the woods with the runs, or the exact opposite of that condition. **** happens. And sometimes it doesn't.

orangebug
03-08-2006, 16:06
Thanks for a pretty concise and comprehensive list of medications that one might consider. I carry Pepto (generic) tabs in the place of Pepcid, Immodium and such. Constipation is pretty common, but probably best treated via diet and hydration.

I'd encourage one to consider having a pharmacy to label and bubble package those medications, which should help if you are carrying controlled substances and need to prove legal possession. The baggie for these might also contain a laminated copy of your health insurance card and other ID.

bfitz
03-08-2006, 16:08
Maintaining ettiquette even in the face of rudeness is the key to keeping the conversation on the level. Reacting or responding to offense feeds the fire as surely as giving offense in the first place. We didn't used to have this big debate about the tone of the site, or censoring posts. I never noticed a deleted post up until a few months ago, and now they're everywhere. Ignore offense and reward positive comments...it's basic psychology. Feed the need for attention by responding nastily and we encourage more trolling and baiting. It's a buzzkill and a distraction, it damages the site. Mcshanks and co. you can be hysterical when not defensive, or trolling. You guy(s) could be a lot of fun....Jack, you're not at your best when scolding/correcting both in person and online, no matter how correct you often are (which is very often...). Next thing you know we'll all be hamstrung by the "volunteer moderators" sick of the nonsense. No need to get all heavy here on WB...A little light mocking goes a long way, just ask ol' Blowjay...

As for painkillers...I use oxycontin for recreation only, stumbling down the trail scratching your nose on it would probably lead to an injury requiring vicodin. Plus, I usually barf after about 40 mgs. And good luck dropping a turd for the next coupla days...I'd condone it, but wouldn't recomend it for hiking. All-natural, all-purpose herbal painkiller/attitude-adjustments work best for me:p .

longshank
03-08-2006, 16:57
I just tried oxycontin for the first time last night and I have to say, 20 mg turned me into a useless mess. How about vicodins? My revised plan is to use advil or tylenol during the day, vico's when I hit camp. Just until I get acclimated, or in emergencies, of course....

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 17:01
Turned you into a useless mess?

Geez.

I guess you're saying that as opposed to what it's like when you're NOT on drugs, Oxy-C, at least for you, is merely a placebo.

Thank for the medical report. Fascinating.

greentick
03-08-2006, 17:06
I just tried oxycontin for the first time last night and I have to say, 20 mg turned me into a useless mess. How about vicodins? My revised plan is to use advil or tylenol during the day, vico's when I hit camp. Just until I get acclimated, or in emergencies, of course....

If you're dead set on taking something when you hit camp 800mg of Ibuprofen with dinner while you acclimate will do the trick. By time you hit the fartsack it should be therapeutic and should last at least 8hrs. Take it with food. If you want to zonk take some benedryl. Avoid the narcs except as noted in my previous post unless you are willing to run the risk of addiction or serious constipation.:eek: Personally tylenol does nothing for me, works for others tho. But like a narc tylenol is only masking the pain it does not treat it. Plus if you are imbibing adult beverages it will cook yer liver.

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:17
Turned you into a useless mess?

Geez.

I guess you're saying that as opposed to what it's like when you're NOT on drugs, Oxy-C, at least for you, is merely a placebo.

Thank for the medical report. Fascinating.
Do you have anything productive to sayever? Or are you just a walking bag of insults?

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 17:18

Unless your arm is missing Oxycotin is not for you. That stuff is waaaaay to powerful for anything other than traumatic injury or hospice type suffering. In fact they are so excessively potent the FDA is currently considering making them available only to supervised patients (i.e. those in hospitals or with 24/7 nursing care)

Ridge
03-08-2006, 17:19
....... Plus if you are imbibing adult beverages it will cook yer liver.

Acetaminophen is easy on the tummy, rough on the liver. At least thats what one of the investigative TV shows claims.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 17:23
Jeez, you're funny.

In ther last five minutes alone, you've referred to people here at WB that you don't like as petty, bullying, jerk-offs.

But now you're complaining that other folks have been insulting you? What a pitiful little baby you are.

Why not stop for awhile and take a break from the computer, old man. You're really making yourself ridiculous today.

Take off the pajamas, shut off the computer, get outta that nifty little apartment in the family basement, drop the Doritos, and take a walk in the fresh air.

It'll do ya a world of good.

Hey, maybe you could even take a short hike on the A.T.

What a novel experience that would be for you!

Bye, now. It's been real.

orangebug
03-08-2006, 17:24
What a laugh! Are you taking the opiates as a tribute to Rush Limbaugh? Or is this just more trolling? Or are you telling more about yourself than is advisable?

Or do you condone opiate abuse and seek endorsement of a group of hikers whose experience is of no value to you?

Ender
03-08-2006, 17:28
Ibuprofin is hard on the kidneys... when my aunt had to get her kidneys removed, the very first thing they asked her is if she took Ibuprofin on a regular basis.

It's great stuff for the short term though.

I try to cycle through different painkillers if I need them. Ibuprofin, then Aceteminofin, then Asprin. Also, I try not to take them unless absolutely necessary, especially when hiking. I'm more likely to take them before bed.

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:29
Jeez, you're funny.

In ther last five minutes alone, you've referred to people here at WB that you don't like as petty, bullying, jerk-offs.

But now you're complaining that other folks have been insulting you? What a pitiful little baby you are.

Why not stop for awhile and take a break from the computer, old man. You're really making yourself ridiculous today.

Take off the pajamas, shut off the computer, get outta that nifty little apartment in the family basement, drop the Doritos, and take a walk in the fresh air.

It'll do ya a world of good.

Hey, maybe you could even take a short hike on the A.T.

What a novel experience that would be for you!

Bye, now. It's been real.
I wasn't talking about other people, I was talking about you. And you could do to take some of your own advice.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 17:35
Take my own advice, Shanks?

I'm leaving for North Georgia in a few days. I'll be out all spring and summer, and don't expect to be home, except for a brief visit, til October.

So you still think I need to take my own advice?

What are YOUR hiking plans, bub?

Oh, I forgot. You don't like to talk about 'em. Kind of a sensitive subject.

But really, tell us about you travel plans.

When you have some.

Geez, you're ridiculous.

Bye, now, gotta do something useful, like clean Miss Janet's oven.

Gotta be an improvement over THIS conversation.

Have a nice summer, OK.

In the city.

orangebug
03-08-2006, 17:44
As has been noted elsewhere on WB, these guys are even more fun when put into your "IGNORE" list. Find one of his posts, click on his name and View Profile. Right under a little picture of him in a copilot's seat, you will find "Add Longshanks to Your Ignore List." Click on it, and repeat the procedure for his other aliases.

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:45
If you must know, I'm planning to stomp around the catskills on and off, then in july I'm planning to hikr either the ozark highlands trail or the cohos trail, maybe both if I can get the time off. And as far as taking your own advice, I was referring to the out of mom's basement, off the computer part. Also, I'm 30 years old, do not live with my parents, and probably make more in three months than you do in a year. I'm not some slob sitting ona couch all year, I'm the assistant director of the most comprehensive wine program in the united states who works about 60 hours a week. Don't paint me as some lazy kid.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 17:54
1. I'm REALLY impressed with your income. Thanx for sharing.
2. You're over 30 and live on your own? Gee, congratulations. What a novel
concept.
3. Assistant director of a comprehensive wine program?

Damn, it's starting to become clear. This explains a lot.

Lay off the muscatel, kid. You'll come off a whole lot better when you post.

Have a nice day.

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:58
1. I'm REALLY impressed with your income. Thanx for sharing.
2. You're over 30 and live on your own? Gee, congratulations. What a novel
concept.
3. Assistant director of a comprehensive wine program?

Damn, it's starting to become clear. This explains a lot.

Lay off the muscatel, kid. You'll come off a whole lot better when you post.

Have a nice day.
I never shared my income, thank you for your congrats, now screw off and go bother someone else. By the way, muscat sux. It's a boring and insipid grape, no wonder you favor it.

P.S. THE MOST comprhensive wine program in the U.S. goto cru-nyc.com

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:59
http://cur-nyc.com

longshank
03-08-2006, 17:59
http://cru-nyc.com

bfitz
03-08-2006, 18:00
Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred. And hatred leads to the dark side...
:rolleyes:

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:01
There is still good in you, I can sense it...

napster
03-08-2006, 18:08
II'm the assistant director of the most comprehensive wine program in the united states who works about 60 hours a week. Don't paint me as some lazy kid.

Bullpoopie scanky my son don't lie! I guess you work 3rd shift or you have been on vacation since Jan 6 when you joined WB.You will be in a heep of trouble if they ever check your computer at work and see all the time you have spent here on WB. You aint no assistant director. Horses Azz.

dixicritter
03-08-2006, 18:11
Let's see if I can remember what I wrote on the wrong thread...LOL

On topic... As I've mentioned I'm not a hiker, but if I were I would use an anti-inflammatory med. As has been stated previously on this thread, prescription pain meds that only mask the pain are dangerous to the body. Serious debilitating joint damage is no fun.... trust me on this one. :)

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 18:13
Bullpoopie scanky my son don't lie! I guess you work 3rd shift or you have been on vacation since Jan 6 when you joined WB.You will be in a heep of trouble if they ever check your computer at work and see all the time you have spent here on WB. You aint no assistant director. Horses Azz.
While I can't verify his employment I can verify from personal experience that you can be Director in an enterprise class business and still have tons of time to waste on the computer. If he is doing a good job he should have plenty of time for playing on the PC.

bfitz
03-08-2006, 18:20
Helmet! So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time..........Yeah!

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 18:21
If you are in such a responsible position, perhaps you should avoid admitting to illegal drug use on a public forum. Someone who didn't like you might easily contact your employer, mention this website and some of your posts, and you may be in an uncomfortable position.

Just friendly advice.

napster
03-08-2006, 18:21
While I can't verify his employment I can verify from personal experience that you can be Director in an enterprise class business and still have tons of time to waste on the computer. If he is doing a good job he should have plenty of time for playing on the PC.

If scanks was in any managment and with what conduct he has displayed here on WB.He would not be able to play on the PC. He"d already got a free massage on his noggin.Possibly that may be his problem.Sure hope he don't take his "untouchable disposition" out in the wilderness.

bfitz
03-08-2006, 18:22
If you are in such a responsible position, perhaps you should avoid admitting to illegal drug use on a public forum. Someone who didn't like you might easily contact your employer, mention this website and some of your posts, and you may be in an uncomfortable position.

Just friendly advice.
Good point, but his lawyer could always point to the evidence that he was just trolling to get him off....

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:31
Yousee, i spend most of my time in we here in the grown-up world call an "office", which houses several devices we call "computers". I'm in there from about noon until 5:30, when service begins in the restaruant. Mornings are my free time. Restaraunt people keep different hours then the common 9-5'er.

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:35

Just friendly advice.
You must not be very familiar with the NYC restaurant scene. Drug abuse abounds, especially in high level management and ownership. It's a lot of fast money and untrackable cash. Nobody gives a **** about what the others do, beleive me. And our legal team rocks!

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:36
Good point, but his lawyer could always point to the evidence that he was just trolling to get him off....
Fool! My powers have doubled since last we met...

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:38
If scanks was in any managment and with what conduct he has displayed here on WB.He would not be able to play on the PC. He"d already got a free massage on his noggin.Possibly that may be his problem.Sure hope he don't take his "untouchable disposition" out in the wilderness.
nobody's untouchable, and my noggin's doing just fine.

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 18:41

Double the arrogance, double the fall.

No, I don't know a thing about restaraunt businesses in NY, NJ, or New Delhi. Are you again admitting to illegal drug use, illegal monetary transactions? Huh, lucky you. Hope no tax agents are avid hikers. Oh, wait, I know one or two.

Congratulations on your lucrative lot.

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 18:42
nobody's untouchable, and my noggin's doing just fine.

Which was your favorite of the six?

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 18:43

Let's try that again....your favorite?

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:44
Which was your favorite of the six?
Empire and sith...without a doubt. I liked sith for all the jedi action, and empire for the storyline.

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:44

No, I don't know a thing about restaraunt businesses in NY, NJ, or New Delhi. Are you again admitting to illegal drug use, illegal monetary transactions? Huh, lucky you. Hope no tax agents are avid hikers. Oh, wait, I know one or two.

"Twice the pride, double the fall"

napster
03-08-2006, 18:46
Kenneth
What is the big deal about sulfites in wine. Why is there a warning lable?

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:46

I'm totally admitting illegal drug use. I use drug deemed illegal by the untited states government. Me and a jillion other people. Everything else is inferrence and hear-say.

mambo_tango
03-08-2006, 18:47
"Twice the pride, double the fall"

I think you are definitely going to be using those painkillers shank. :p

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 18:49
Empire and sith...without a doubt. I liked sith for all the jedi action, and empire for the storyline.

I concur. Empire was by far the best. The only problem I had with Sith was all the CG took a huge toll on the acting.

bfitz
03-08-2006, 18:51
....your favorite?
Obviously #2, damn, I mean #5...

bfitz
03-08-2006, 18:54
...all the CG took a huge toll on the acting...

Acting...?

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 18:54
Kenneth

Some people do not process sulfites very well. Side effects range from headache to death, but usually not death. Many people discover they are sulfite intolerant when the develop terrible headaches while eating such things as summer sausages and hot dogs, which are also high in sulfites.

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:55
Kenneth
Sulphur is used in wine making to increase athe ageing potential in a wine. The vines are dusted with it during ripening. Asthmatics have been know to have had sever reactions to sulphites, hence the warning label. You will only find that label on new world wines, generally american or american imported wines, as the domestic import companies often re-label the bottles the bring in. Als many french domaines have two sets of labels, one for export bottlings, and one for domestics. But I digress. The use of sulfur in forms of pitch and resin can create a buildup of unpleasant gasses during fermentation, known as reductive gasses, due to the reuction of liquid volume that occurs during this process. The wine is "racked", or uncapped, as it were and stirred, this process being called "battinage" The amount of reductive gas showing on the nose when the wine is opened is a direct result of residual sulfur due to racking practice, or lack thereof.

longshank
03-08-2006, 18:58
Some people do not process sulfites very well. Side effects range from headache to death, but usually not death. Many people discover they are sulfite intolerant when the develop terrible headaches while eating such things as summer sausages and hot dogs, which are also high in sulfites.
sulfite allergies of this nature are very rare, but do exist. But what most people don't realize is that sulfites are also a natural by-product of wine making. There is no such thing as a sulphite-free wine, thought he degree of content may vary.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:00
Sulphur is used in wine making to increase athe ageing potential in a wine. The vines are dusted with it during ripening. Asthmatics have been know to have had sever reactions to sulphites, hence the warning label. You will only find that label on new world wines, generally american or american imported wines, as the domestic import companies often re-label the bottles the bring in. Als many french domaines have two sets of labels, one for export bottlings, and one for domestics. But I digress. The use of sulfur in forms of pitch and resin can create a buildup of unpleasant gasses during fermentation, known as reductive gasses, due to the reuction of liquid volume that occurs during this process. The wine is "racked", or uncapped, as it were and stirred, this process being called "battinage" The amount of reductive gas showing on the nose when the wine is opened is a direct result of residual sulfur due to racking practice, or lack thereof.
Every time you rack the wine, you release some of this gas, the less you do it, the more reductive the wine appears. This is noted by a sharp sulphury smell.

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 19:00

Actually his management skills may be better than he is being credited for. Managment: the art of getting people to react in the manner you desire; seems to me he certainly gets the reactions he is looking for...

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:02
No more oxy's for me. Phew! Me and mcquest tried to go play pool after taking them last night and got our asses handed to us. I think just some vic's for emergencies and extra-strenth tylenol.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:04
Actually his management skills may be better than he is being credited for. Managment: the art of getting people to react in the manner you desire; seems to me he certainly gets the reactions he is looking for...
Actually, that's manipulation. Management is basically baby-sitting on the human side, and strict record-keeping and number-tallying on the other.

napster
03-08-2006, 19:04
So Kenneth, what is your spill on wine being exposed to lite as wine being kept in the cellar after it has been capped?

mambo_tango
03-08-2006, 19:05
Me and mcquest tried to go play pool after taking them last night and got our asses handed to us.

I will remember that lol.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:05
As you can see, I think very highly of myself! lol!

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:09
So Kenneth, what is your spill on wine being exposed to lite as wine being kept in the cellar after it has been capped?
ultraviolet light has a degenerative effect on everthing it touches. Your bottles (if you want to store and age them) should be in a dark room at btwn 55-58 deg., stored on their side so that the wine is in contact with the cork, which is a vehicle for oxygen to slowly affect maturation in the wine at a controlled pace. The bottles should be rotated every 3 months, and stood up for about 24 hours before drinking.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:10
I will remember that lol.
might be just the edge you need. May the force be with you.

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 19:12
Actually, that's manipulation. Management is basically baby-sitting on the human side, and strict record-keeping and number-tallying on the other.

If that's what you believe I may need to retract my previous statement. I am surprised that you didn't realize the synonymous relationship between managment and manipulation.

And management doesn't do bookkeeping man. Management signs off on someone else's bookkeeping.

But you did get the baby sitting right.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:15
If that's what you believe I may need to retract my previous statement. I am surprised that you didn't realize the synonymous relationship between managment and manipulation.

And management doesn't do bookkeeping man. Management signs off on someone else's bookkeeping.

But you did get the baby sitting right.
We actually do quite a bit of bookeeping. Try tracking sales and inventory on a 6,000 label collection. When I close my eyes at night I see an excel spreadsheet. And one certainly doesn't need to manipulate to manage people. You just have to be firm yet fair with them. Set marks and enfoce them.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:16
It's not a matter of what I beleive, it's what I do.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:18
We keep 16,000+bottles on site, another 120,000 in off-site storage, and I don't even know about the extent of our holdings overseas. Serious bookeeping. Beleive it.

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 19:21
It's not a matter of what I beleive, it's what I do.

No offense but that's junior management talking. I assumed when you said Assistant Director you were working with a significantly large employee base.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:21
I concur. Empire was by far the best. The only problem I had with Sith was all the CG took a huge toll on the acting.
But the lightsabre duels more than made up for that.

MOWGLI
03-08-2006, 19:25
We actually do quite a bit of bookeeping. Try tracking sales and inventory on a 6,000 label collection. When I close my eyes at night I see an excel spreadsheet. And one certainly doesn't need to manipulate to manage people. You just have to be firm yet fair with them. Set marks and enfoce them.

So let me get this straight. You work for CRU on 5th Avenue in New York City. You brag about your illegal drug use while using your employee''s computers, and tell us that your employer doesn't care that you abuse drugs. Does the Owner or General manager care that you portray their restaurant in that manner while they are paying you to do a job? And they have you managing their wine collection even though you are abusing Oxycontin?

Just curious. I have some really good friends in high laces at the CIA in Hyde Park. I think I might have to talk to them to see if what you're saying about CRU is accurate. I find some of your claims hard to believe.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:27
No offense but that's junior management talking. I assumed when you said Assistant Director you were working with a significantly large employee base.
I work in a 3 star restaurant. It's different than the type of management you may be accustomed to. Dealing with the sort of clientele and staff that I do, ordinary corporate techniques seldom apply. I have a waitstaff of about 20, and a 4 man sommelier/wine team. I try not to get involved in the managemant of the waitstaff anymore than it affects the wine service. That is the service director's domain. Managing a wine program is more about organization and purchasing decisions. It's not really managment in a conventional sense.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:28
So let me get this straight. You work for CRU on 5th Avenue in New York City. You brag about your illegal drug use while using your employee''s computers, and tell us that your employer doesn't care that you abuse drugs. Does the Owner or General manager care that you portray their restaurant in that manner while they are paying you to do a job? And they have you managing their wine collection even though you are abusing Oxycontin?

Just curious. I have some really good friends in high laces at the CIA in Hyde Park. I think I might have to talk to them to see if what you're saying about CRU is accurate. I find some of your claims hard to believe.
you can go ahead and do what ever you would like.

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 19:33
I work in a 3 star restaurant. It's different than the type of management you may be accustomed to. Dealing with the sort of clientele and staff that I do, ordinary corporate techniques seldom apply. I have a waitstaff of about 20, and a 4 man sommelier/wine team. I try not to get involved in the managemant of the waitstaff anymore than it affects the wine service. That is the service director's domain. Managing a wine program is more about organization and purchasing decisions. It's not really managment in a conventional sense.

Please excuse my oversight, I failed to take notice your role. I have a friend who is the Spirits Manager for one of the largest retailers in the US and I am somewhat familiar with your work. You are right, not typical corporate management but still a very demanding job. Please don't think I was trying to be insulting.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:34

My recreational drug use is of no concern to them anymore then theirs is to me. We all working there because we are the best at what we do. And I don't really think anyone in the CIA is going to waste their time investigating recreational drug use of restaraunt employees. They have terrorists and domestic security issues to worry about. And I don't appreciate you threatening me or the business I represent. Neither would the ownership.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:35
Please excuse my oversight, I failed to take notice your role. I have a friend who is the Spirits Manager for one of the largest retailers in the US and I am somewhat familiar with your work. You are right, not typical corporate management but still a very demanding job. Please don't think I was trying to be insulting.
No offense taken whatsoever. Or intended, for that matter.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 19:37
Hey clown, he was talking about the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, not the other one in Langley!

Glad to see you know so much about the restaurant profession.

napster
03-08-2006, 19:39
Kenneth have you ever heard of biltmore wine via biltmore house and gardens and what kind of house wine do you serve?

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:42
Oh, in that case I'm even less impressed. Go ahead and ask them whatever you like. As far as "what I'm saying about CRU", which part do you find questionable?

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:44
Kenneth have you ever heard of biltmore wine via biltmore house and gardens and what kind of house wine do you serve?
We have 20 or so wines by the glass, no "house wine", per se. The focus of the wine list is burgundy, though our italian, austrian and german portfolios are quite strong.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:45
Hey clown, he was talking about the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, not the other one in Langley!

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about the restaruant biz, buddy.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 19:50
And you're an expert on the CIA, too!

Oh, I realize you're a professional and all, but for future reference, the word is spelled "restaurant." Thought you should know.

Have a nice day.

saimyoji
03-08-2006, 19:52
I work in a 3 star restaurant.

We all working there because we are the best at what we do.

So 3 star is the best there is? Again, I know nothing about NY restaraunts.

napster
03-08-2006, 19:53
[quote=longshank]My recreational drug use is of no concern to them anymore then theirs is to me. We all working there because we are the best at what we do. And I don't really think anyone in the CIA is going to waste their time investigating recreational drug use of restaraunt employees. They have terrorists and domestic security issues to worry about. And I don't appreciate you threatening me or the business I represent. Neither would the ownership.

Kenny Kenny calm down my child!The CIA will not be intrested in what you are doing however the ATF and ABC would surley viloate you on several infractions as you have stated via evidence of your own accord on public forum.If NY is like NC law any/all drug intoxicated empoyees are not permitted to serve ,manage or allowed to stay on such property. Oxycotin will remain in your blood stream for 24hrs or more. Did you work today ,are you working tomorrow.I am sure you are familar with the ABC laws.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:54
And you're an expert on the CIA, too!

Oh, I realize you're a professional and all, but for future reference, the word is spelled "restaurant." Thought you should know.

Have a nice day.
CIA is for chef wanna-be's, not sommeliers. And if you'd like, I could go back through your post and pick out spelling and grammar errors, but I don't have time for the sort of pettiness that you seem to.

longshank
03-08-2006, 19:56
[quote=longshank]My recreational drug use is of no concern to them anymore then theirs is to me. We all working there because we are the best at what we do. And I don't really think anyone in the CIA is going to waste their time investigating recreational drug use of restaraunt employees. They have terrorists and domestic security issues to worry about. And I don't appreciate you threatening me or the business I represent. Neither would the ownership.

Kenny Kenny calm down my child!The CIA will not be intrested in what you are doing however the ATF and ABC would surley viloate you on several infractions as you have stated via evidence of your own accord on public forum.If NY is like NC law any/all drug intoxicated empoyees are not permitted to serve ,manage or allowed to stay on such property. Oxycotin will remain in your blood stream for 24hrs or more. Did you work today ,are you working tomorrow.I am sure you are familar with the ABC laws.
I'm off all week, buddy. I don't go to work ****ed up, and if I did, the last thing I would be worried about is a napster-led sting operation to bust me.

Heater
03-08-2006, 19:57

Well, the Iditarod started the other day. Maybe he finally left the dogyard.

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:00
"Kenny Kenny calm down my child!The CIA will not be intrested in what you are doing however the ATF and ABC would surley viloate you on several infractions as you have stated via evidence of your own accord on public forum.If NY is like NC law any/all drug intoxicated empoyees are not permitted to serve ,manage or allowed to stay on such property. Oxycotin will remain in your blood stream for 24hrs or more. Did you work today ,are you working tomorrow.I am sure you are familar with the ABC laws.[/quote]

I can say whatever I want. Doesn't mean it can be used against me in court. I'm not under oath on whiteblaze and can lie through my teeth all I please. And since we are on a first name basis apparently, what might I callyou? Besides what I've already called you in the past...

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 20:00

Oh, no longshanks, not the CULINARY INSTITITUTE!!! You've really done it to yourself this time!! lololololol

Is this guy kidding me? JT is really exposing himself. I think maybe its not fair that your even arguing with him LS, I actually had a little respect for him a few days ago. Stop already, it's like you've pulled off his mask and there's a chimp hiding under what I believed was a respectble human being. Let's just be nice, I can't watch anymore

Skidsteer
03-08-2006, 20:01
Well, the Iditarod started the other day. Maybe he finally left the dogyard.

:-? Ah.. a possibility. Even if merely as a spectator. The "Masters" of the North!

Heater
03-08-2006, 20:01
I doubt you be so quick with the nasty talk if I were standing in front of me, or if you hung out with me on the trail not knowing who I am. You're judging someone you know nothing about.

Looky here. Another internet "tough guy". :rolleyes:

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:03
My point is not that I am tough (even though that's clearly the case!lol)but that we are quick to offend and be abrasive to people that we do not have to come face to face with. If we met unknowingly, I doubt anyone would be so quick to abandon their manners.

mambo_tango
03-08-2006, 20:03

You all look the same to me. :banana

irritable_badger
03-08-2006, 20:04
Looky here. Another internet "tough guy". :rolleyes:.

Are you insinuating that the Internet is not real :confused: that's just crazy talk

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 20:06
[quote=napster]
I'm off all week, buddy. I don't go to work ****ed up, and if I did, the last thing I would be worried about is a napster-led sting operation to bust me.

Ever see keystone cops?? I think the only thing napster and JT can arrest is their own intellectual development. lolololol:eek:

longshank
It's as real as we choose to make in our minds. For some people, it's the only reality they can handle.

longshank
They can't even do that, it's already happened on its own

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 20:09

I can vouch for LS being a real life tough guy, I'd bet my last dollar that the rest of you are experiencing 'keypad muscles', and no I don't think you would be so obnoxious to his face. Or mine

mambo_tango
03-08-2006, 20:11
and no I don't think you would be so obnoxious to his face. Or mine

I think I could.:D

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:12
You may try...

bfitz
03-08-2006, 20:13
...If we met unknowingly, I doubt anyone would be so quick to abandon their manners....
...........:datz

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:13
You're the only one allowed. Except for Kirk, who always has free range to joke on me.

mambo_tango
03-08-2006, 20:14
Well that takes the fun out of things :(

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 20:14

I think you could too:rolleyes:

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:16
That's not to say I'll make it easy for you.

lbbrown
03-08-2006, 20:18
Whats Roy going to say when he finds out what you have been doing to his wine bottles?

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:18
Whats Roy going to say when he finds out what you have been doing to his wine bottles?
What have I been doing to them?

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:19
Friend of his?

Skidsteer
03-08-2006, 20:20
I usually take Claritin on my trips because campfire smoke makes me snore like a strangled rat. :D

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:23
What's your name? I'll tell him you said hello...

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 20:25
I think he's talking about Roy Rogers, dude. To my recollection, I don't recall their serving wine

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:29
maybe roy jones jr., I wouldn't want him knowing what I do with his wine!

Heater
03-08-2006, 20:34
I can vouch for LS being a real life tough guy, I'd bet my last dollar that the rest of you are experiencing 'keypad muscles', and no I don't think you would be so obnoxious to his face. Or mine

Tough guys would "tough it out" on tril without painkillers. So, I guess you're not as "tough" as you think. LOL...

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:37
Tough guys would "tough it out" on tril without painkillers. So, I guess you're not as "tough" as you think. LOL...

I generally don't sit around thinking about my toughness relative to that of others, I just do what I do when I do it. Whether or not you use painkillers is no measure of toughness, but to an extent, I agree with you. I just know that the first few weeks are going to beat us up and am wondering if it might be worth it to pack a little something for the really rough nights.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-08-2006, 20:43
CIA is for chef wanna-be's, not sommeliers. And if you'd like, I could go back through your post and pick out spelling and grammar errors, but I don't have time for the sort of pettiness that you seem to.

And those that mock the CIA usually never went...

I personally know many CIA chefs, master chefs at the CIA, and my family was good friends with the past president. Not everyone that gets a degree from there is a world famous chef, heck someone has to be at the bottom of the class, even if it is the CIA. But to insinuate that the CIA is for chef wanna be's is just freakin dumb... You may work for a 3 star restaurant, but apparently that does not mean YOU know anything about being in a restaurant, outside of a bus boy maybe!

And yes, I went to the CIA... I have taken some of their development courses in the past so I could attend. After I do the trail in 08, it is where I hope to be going to school to complete a pastry/baking degree.

To say that the place is for wanna-be's is down right ignorant. I am sure that there are students there, not chefs, that will be a far better sommelier then you will ever be. That is one hell of a hard school to not just get into, but to complete a degree at.

What an asshat... Just because you work in a NYC restaurant does not mean you know crap... And that is MY opinion of YOU... Take it and file where ever you want...

napster
03-08-2006, 20:44
kenny in your picture what kind of airplane are you co-piloting or are you just riding shotgun?

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:53
I never made fun of the CIA. It is a cooking school. The chef I work for went there. I have nothing against it, and if you want to be a chef, that makes you a chef wanna-be. Maybe a will-be. Who knows. What I do know is that if you plan to persue a career in the restaurant business, you'd do well to grow a thicker skin than the one you're currently wearing. And as far as being a better sommelier, They may well be. So what? I'm not concerned with their careers, only my own. Good luck to them finding a wine program where they are able to have access to wines most people only read about. THAT'S what I have, and that experience puts me light years ahead of most in terms of producer familiarity, vintage savvy, etc. etc. I'm lucky, I've never taken a single class, yet I occupy a unique and highly coveted position. Anyone can do it, CIA or no. You should see the wine school clowns and CIA grads that try to come in the door and be sommm's. It's funny, really.

longshank
03-08-2006, 20:53
Riding shotty with kirk in the back seat over the north maine woods.

betic4lyf
03-08-2006, 21:22
wow i thought that kirk and longshanks where the same person:) guess not.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 21:23
wow i thought that kirk and longshanks where the same person:) guess not.
They are. If not then just a coupla boys living together.

attroll
03-09-2006, 01:01

First off if you taking drungs on the trail that you are not getting from a prscription then you have no reason to be bringing them. When you are saying things like that then you have opened yourself up for all the arguements that have gotten started here.

Oh and by the way this threead has tun into bullcrap and it will be closed if it keeps up. Why doenst everyone go hiking.

bfitz
03-09-2006, 01:13
First off if you taking drungs on the trail that you are not getting from a prscription then you have no reason to be bringing them. When you are saying things like that then you have opened yourself up for all the arguements that have gotten started here.

Oh and by the way this threead has tun into bullcrap and it will be closed if it keeps up. Why doenst everyone go hiking.

Keep drungs off the trail!:p

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2006, 01:17
Geez, Troll, close it if you want, nobody'll much care. The thread was worthless from the get-go anyway.

Of course, it'll initiate a new rant from Shanks and his little rumpswab shadow about censorship and heavy-handedness here at WB, but who cares? It'd serve him right to see this all go away.

He's good at ruining other threads and getting them locked down; in fact, that's what he's been good at since first arriving here. Let it happen to one of HIS threads for a change instead of somebody else's.

And if it bothers him, he can always take another Oxy til he feels better.

napster
03-09-2006, 01:31
I'd say a crapload of pissed off folks here on WB are plannin a 07 hike to see if them boyz will make good on their chickenpoop threats.

hopefulhiker
03-09-2006, 08:50
I had the same concerns, I started out out of shape and was soon in a world of pain by the time I hit Hiawassee Ga I went to a hospital and hung around... I talked to a nurse and she said you could take up to 2400 mg of Ibuprophen a day.. I went to two more docs in the box later down the trail and they said the same thing.. I ended up taking it everyday 800 -1200 mg not so much for the pain but to keep the swelling down.. After I got in shape I didn't need to take as much...The only side effect is that a whole bunch of it can cause stomach bleeding... One thru hiking nurse told me last year that this can be avoided because (never tried this) one can take Vitamin I as a suppository!

Kevin A. Boyce
03-09-2006, 11:47

I agree, this thread is long over due to be closed....

irritable_badger
03-09-2006, 11:52
I agree, this thread is long over due to be closed....
Why doesn't everyone just stop responding? Once again I see a culture of entitlement in a lot of hikers. Expecting someone else to handle the problem (i.e. why doesn't someone close the thread, why doesn't someone maintain this or that section of the Trail better, why doesn't someone do something to help conserve our public lands, etc...). Handle it yourselves by not responding to the comments that are intended to get you worked up. Do it yourselves.

KirkMcquest
03-09-2006, 11:53
Geez, Troll, close it if you want, nobody'll much care. The thread was worthless from the get-go anyway.

Of course, it'll initiate a new rant from Shanks and his little rumpswab shadow about censorship and heavy-handedness here at WB, but who cares? It'd serve him right to see this all go away.

He's good at ruining other threads and getting them locked down; in fact, that's what he's been good at since first arriving here. Let it happen to one of HIS threads for a change instead of somebody else's.

And if it bothers him, he can always take another Oxy til he feels better.

First off, the only thing worthless on this thread is you. And second, most of the threads that have been closed have been his or mine. As usual, what comes out of your mouth is ill-informed and hateful.

KirkMcquest
03-09-2006, 11:55
I'd say a crapload of pissed off folks here on WB are plannin a 07 hike to see if them boyz will make good on their chickenpoop threats.

Can you tell me what 'threats' we've made?

Grampie
03-09-2006, 12:05

Jack...You sure know how to get the point across...A lot of us think the same.

Grampie
03-09-2006, 12:18

Greentick out.

Sounds like you went to a doctor, befor your hike, and asked him what you would need to get you thru hiking 2000+ miles in around six months.:)

longshank
03-09-2006, 13:52
Jack...You sure know how to get the point across...A lot of us think the same.
Again, I'm not twisting anyone's arm for info. They're free to share, or not. If this is all about my use of the word condone, then Jack's protests are at at best childish and nit picky. He doesn't like me, I don't like him. Let's leave it at that.

longshank
03-09-2006, 13:54
Please don't issue threats towards us. You might be unlucky enough to see your erroneous ways backfire on you in a big way.

napster
03-09-2006, 15:31
Please don't issue threats towards us. You might be unlucky enough to see your erroneous ways backfire on you in a big way.

Kenny Kenny Kenny Calm down son! Nobody making threats toward you.
Geeez, You aught not take no more of them oxys they seem to make you paronoid and its illegal anyways.For sure you and your sidelick have caused a ruccus since your date of membership here on WB but you have never been threaten.As I remember in the very first post that I responded to Kurt m is when you threaten me "Told me to bring it on" as I remember and my post was'nt even to you. Well I never whinned to the mods about you threating me,I knew you were all mouth from the start.We ALL know your all mouth.You brought up the post about the south.You brought up about slackping.Painkillers and all the like. I believe you carefully study and select what will cause a ruccus then bombs away.Is your guilty concience nawwin at ya about the ruccus you have caused on this site? Well then get use to the nawwing cause them shelter rats are going to chew ye azz and all yo stuff on your 07 attemp. boyz.

Lobo
03-09-2006, 16:27
People that know me as a successful thru-hiker often ask me where they should look for information for their furture hikes. I always tell them Whiteblaze and Trailjournals. With the threats and name calling seen here, I hope this thread dies tonight.

Old Spice
03-09-2006, 16:32
Someone kill this thread.

KirkMcquest
03-09-2006, 16:36
If you guys want it dead, then stop posting on it. I'm personally sick of it too, but everytime it moves further back in the thread order, someone posts how much they hate it and it moves back to the top. If you HAVE to post here, why not stick to the topic of the thread and ignore all the back and forth crap.

Lobo
03-09-2006, 16:40
Someone kill this thread.

bfitz
03-09-2006, 16:41
How about a "Pot-smoking-weed-puffing-hippies-fording-the-kennebec-on-oxycontin" thread?
My opinion...bad idea:D .

Heater
03-09-2006, 17:14
How about a "Pot-smoking-weed-puffing-hippies-fording-the-kennebec-on-oxycontin" thread?
My opinion...bad idea:D .

Have you been reading Mcquirks personal journal?

digger51
03-09-2006, 17:20
AtTroll...pull the plug please. This thread should have been given a dose of mercy killing a long time ago. BTW, Jack, as is the usual case, is right on target with most of his comments.

orangebug
03-09-2006, 17:49
Guys, this thread is so much better when you exercise your IGNORE LIST.

Don't feed the trolls.

KirkMcquest
03-09-2006, 17:54
Trolls, yeah, o.k.......whatever you say

Heater
03-09-2006, 17:58
Trolls, yeah, o.k.......whatever you say

...and then some....

....YAWN....

CaptChaos
03-10-2006, 11:53
I have had to deal with tendon pain in my feet for years. While I love backpacking it does not love me.

When possible I stick with the over the counter pills for foot pain but on the one big trip in 2000 I had to choice three days into the trip to hit the stuff given to me by my doctor. It was asprin with codine. I had to pop one in the morning and go back to sleep for about 30 min so that I could just get out of bed and not fall down due to the pain in my feet. I would take half a pill and then another half about halfway through the day.

While the meds can help you with the pain they can also make your mind numb. There is so much that I don't remember on that trip for the simple fact that I was numbing the pain in my feet but also not seeing all that was around me.

To this day, it is Advil or asprin but only the hard pain killers when I first get up and then go down to the ground because of the pain in my feet. But until then I try to tough it out.

KirkMcquest
03-10-2006, 12:16
I have had to deal with tendon pain in my feet for years. While I love backpacking it does not love me.

When possible I stick with the over the counter pills for foot pain but on the one big trip in 2000 I had to choice three days into the trip to hit the stuff given to me by my doctor. It was asprin with codine. I had to pop one in the morning and go back to sleep for about 30 min so that I could just get out of bed and not fall down due to the pain in my feet. I would take half a pill and then another half about halfway through the day.

While the meds can help you with the pain they can also make your mind numb. There is so much that I don't remember on that trip for the simple fact that I was numbing the pain in my feet but also not seeing all that was around me.

To this day, it is Advil or asprin but only the hard pain killers when I first get up and then go down to the ground because of the pain in my feet. But until then I try to tough it out.

Cap,
No chance of 'conditioning' your feet in the off-season? What's causing the pain, and can it be corrected?

CaptChaos
03-10-2006, 12:26
Yes, I have tried that before. I go up to Mammouth Cave National Park which is 30 min North of me and hike up and down the trails for a couple of weeks on the weekend before going to the Smokies. It helps but the pain does not go away.

I did find relief by getting sole inserts that I wear with all of my shoes and I have done so for the last 3 years. It has really helped alot. The other issue is my weight, I am 230 lbs and I am only 5'9". I was 175 lbs through high school and college and after I got married I went to 230lbs.

If I could get the weight off of myself first then the weight from my pack would not be the final nail in my coffin with every trip that I take.

I do the trip and then pay for it for months after as my feet heal. But, I do this because I want to. It is important for me to return to the mtns once in a while so that I can experience what it was like before we turned everything into a mess. No phones, No noise, just peace and quiet.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Gray Blazer
03-10-2006, 14:04
Yes, I have tried that before. I go up to Mammouth Cave National Park which is 30 min North of me and hike up and down the trails for a couple of weeks on the weekend before going to the Smokies. It helps but the pain does not go away.

I did find relief by getting sole inserts that I wear with all of my shoes and I have done so for the last 3 years. It has really helped alot. The other issue is my weight, I am 230 lbs and I am only 5'9". I was 175 lbs through high school and college and after I got married I went to 230lbs.

If I could get the weight off of myself first then the weight from my pack would not be the final nail in my coffin with every trip that I take.

I do the trip and then pay for it for months after as my feet heal. But, I do this because I want to. It is important for me to return to the mtns once in a while so that I can experience what it was like before we turned everything into a mess. No phones, No noise, just peace and quiet.

Thanks for your inquiry.

I could have written this same post word for word. I suffered from tendon problems for years. I finally started wearing two pairs of athletic socks with air cushioned basketball shoes. Hopefully, for you as for me, your pain will go away. (And Kirk/Longswanks, I haven't used those morphine patches yet. And who are you calling arrogant?)

:-?

Ender
03-10-2006, 16:27
. Thanks for your inquiry.

Capt... ask your doctor to refer you to a podiatrist (sp?) so he can fit you for custom orthotics. They aren't cheap, but they're worth every penny. And sometimes insurance will covor most of the cost... just depends.

I used to have pretty bad foot pain, with them aching even when I wasn't walking on them. I got my orthotics, and no more pain. Seriously.

I highly recomend them. Pain killers just mask the pain. Orthotics get rid of the pain. Like I said, worth every penny.

kyerger
03-10-2006, 18:31
hey longshank

I buy my wine from the farm. I think it comes from the county of boone in Ky. You got any with a screw top? Makes it easier to open!

as far as stars in food places:
I rate White castle this way.
3 star.... 3 sliders cause i really need to go now
2 star.....2 sliders cuase i felling full and leaving a lot of gas.
1 star.....1 slider just to keep me cleaned out.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-10-2006, 23:59
Interesting thread. I'm going to stay out of the sniping and just comment on using pain-killers on the trail. I have major othropedic issues and must use pain-killers pretty regularly. This will continue on the trail. I use these depending on just how bad the pain is: Advil, Aleve, Utram, Loritab, Percoset and Oxycontin.

longshank
03-11-2006, 12:28
Kenny Kenny Kenny Calm down son! Nobody making threats toward you.
Geeez, You aught not take no more of them oxys they seem to make you paronoid and its illegal anyways.For sure you and your sidelick have caused a ruccus since your date of membership here on WB but you have never been threaten.As I remember in the very first post that I responded to Kurt m is when you threaten me "Told me to bring it on" as I remember and my post was'nt even to you. Well I never whinned to the mods about you threating me,I knew you were all mouth from the start.We ALL know your all mouth.You brought up the post about the south.You brought up about slackping.Painkillers and all the like. I believe you carefully study and select what will cause a ruccus then bombs away.Is your guilty concience nawwin at ya about the ruccus you have caused on this site? Well then get use to the nawwing cause them shelter rats are going to chew ye azz and all yo stuff on your 07 attemp. boyz.
Actually I didn't bring up the south, nor did I threaten you, and YES, you've been whining all along. The tread you started towards us (which was consequently and rightfully shut down in short order) was one big whine. Once again I will invite you not to wanr me about what forces may be aligning against me on our '07 hike. It is ill-advised behavior at best.

longshank
03-11-2006, 12:31
(And Kirk/Longswanks, I haven't used those morphine patches yet. And who are you calling arrogant?)

Anyone who behaves in an arrogant fashion.

longshank
03-11-2006, 12:33
hey longshank

I buy my wine from the farm. I think it comes from the county of boone in Ky. You got any with a screw top? Makes it easier to open!

as far as stars in food places:
I rate White castle this way.
3 star.... 3 sliders cause i really need to go now
2 star.....2 sliders cuase i felling full and leaving a lot of gas.
1 star.....1 slider just to keep me cleaned out.
Nothin' like BF and whitey murder burgers...

longshank
03-11-2006, 12:56
Actually I didn't bring up the south, nor did I threaten you, and YES, you've been whining all along. The tread you started towards us (which was consequently and rightfully shut down in short order) was one big whine. Once again I will invite you not to wanr me about what forces may be aligning against me on our '07 hike. It is ill-advised behavior at best.
Is that clear enough for you, Timmy?

MOWGLI
03-11-2006, 13:03
Is that clear enough for you, Timmy?

That sounds like a wanring if I ever heard one. ;)

longshank
03-11-2006, 13:16
That sounds like a wanring if I ever heard one. ;)
It is a warning, in response to a threat.

longshank
03-11-2006, 13:17
But I'm o.k. with being clear about that.

Lone Wolf
03-11-2006, 13:20
Buncha tough guys!:eek:

longshank
03-11-2006, 13:33
Buncha tough guys!:eek:
Just unafraid and outspoken...

ed bell
03-11-2006, 13:39
Just unafraid and outspoken...
With 13 posts today and going strong, maybe you mean overspoken?;)

longshank
03-11-2006, 13:55
With 13 posts today and going strong, maybe you mean overspoken?;)
Making up for lost time. But you're probably right. I give this crap way too much attention.