PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo River Trail (Ark)

kevin
03-07-2006, 20:01
I'm planning to spend a couple days on the Buffalo River Trail in northern Arkansas. I'm shooting for a window of between March 18th and March 23rd (probably 2 nights) depending on weather. I've got the Ernst book on the Buffalo River area. Never been on this trail before, so if anyone has any tips for the area, please let me know. Also, if anyone is interested in joining me, reply here or fire of a PM/email (kevinpoker at mchsi dot com).

Kevin

Hammock Hanger
03-07-2006, 20:20
I'm planning to spend a couple days on the Buffalo River Trail in northern Arkansas. I'm shooting for a window of between March 18th and March 23rd (probably 2 nights) depending on weather. I've got the Ernst book on the Buffalo River area. Never been on this trail before, so if anyone has any tips for the area, please let me know. Also, if anyone is interested in joining me, reply here or fire of a PM/email (kevinpoker at mchsi dot com).

Kevin

I have always wanted to kayak the Buffalo River... I would be interested to hear about your trip and the area when you get back. Sue/HH

burger
03-07-2006, 22:26
It's a really nice area, and the Ernst book is excellent. I've done the Buffalo River Trail from Boxley to Steel Creek a couple of times (both times we were intending to do the whole trail, and my friends bailed out at Steel Creek where there's a phone). I enjoyed the entire section, but my friends thought the area near Steel Creek (big bluffs there) was the best.

The people at the Buffalo Outdoor Center will do a shuttle for you (not cheap) if you need it. And keep an eye out for elk.

Ridge
03-07-2006, 22:47
Ponca to Kyle’s Landing, a 10-mile float that takes between four and six hours to complete. This is the best of the best. But the water level is usually a problem. Better check by calling the NPS. The numbers and web site below may or may not still be good. Wish I was going.
Buffalo’s National Park Service headquarters in Harrison at 870-741-5443.
http://www.buffaloriver.com

Ridge
03-07-2006, 22:51
http://www.buffaloriver.com/river_report/

This is the correct site for river reports.

Turtle2
03-08-2006, 13:52
As I recall, water levels after June can be problematic.

kevin
03-08-2006, 20:47
Thanks for the feedback all. I'll probably need to use the shuttle service, so appreciate the name. As far as the water reports, I'm going to stick to the trail instead of doing any floating so no worries there. I live a couple hours north of that area though and if they've had a last few months like we have the water levels are going to be on the low side for this time of the year.

No Belay
03-09-2006, 01:40
Kevin, You're talking about my backyard. If your wanting to float 1 and 2 class water you'll be timing it just right. We're suppose to get several inchs of rain this week and the long term rain forcast looks better than it has for months. Right now the river is bottomed out but it only takes a couple inches of rain to get it rippin. If you're a white water yaker the upper section, Hail Stone, has some great 4+ water but it's hard to catch. It's only been right 3 times in the last few years.

If you're wanting a good 3 day hike, start at Steele Creek to Hemmed in Hollow (highest water fall east of the rockies and west of the Mississippi). From Hemmed In head to Kyle's and about a mile before you get there enter Indian Creek to the South. This is a double boxed canyon that is one of the coolest places on the Buffalo. You have to go through a crawl in the upper part of of a natural amphitheater to get into the upper canyon. I hike the 165 mile length of the Buffalo every February and rarely see another hiker. Hit me on my e-mail and I'll get you some map info and maybe show you around.

"Lord, help me to be the person that my dog thinks I am."

The Solemates
03-09-2006, 10:55
so how long is the buffalo river trail? i was under the impression that the OHT is 165 miles, and the buffalo just tacks on a few extra miles after that.

No Belay
03-09-2006, 14:48
The OHT encompasses only a short part of the Buffalo River Trail (BRT)system and The BRT trail spans less than half of the river length. To hike the length of the Buff you start at a spring outside of the Upper Buffalo Wilderness area on Big Buffalo Creek and bushwhack all the way to Boxley Valley before you hit any tourist trails. From there you can pretty much parallel the river on several different trails until you reach Pruit. From there you'll have to Ozark hike (bushwhack) to the confluence of Richland Creek and the Buff. You then get back on the BRT and follow it to Gilbert. From there you're back to Ozark hiking to the confluence of the Buff and the White River. A major part of the Trek is in Wilderness areas, hence no trails. Ten miles a day off trail is a long day and you have to be proficient at land navigation to even consider the trip. You'll see some of the finest river and karst topography east of the Rockies and wildlife and photo ops abound. The OHT is a nice trail but it skirts the wilderness areas and allot of very interesting geological areas. If you come to the area, try to make time to visit Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mt. View Ark. One of the nicest in the country.

kevin
03-09-2006, 20:38
so how long is the buffalo river trail? i was under the impression that the OHT is 165 miles, and the buffalo just tacks on a few extra miles after that.

Dragon gives a better answer to the OHT/BRT connection, but the quick answer to length is 36.5 miles.