PDA

View Full Version : Question about Stony Brook Road, VT (after jct. of AT with Rt. 4)

Sparkplug
03-07-2006, 20:20
I am starting to plan out some daytrips/weekend trips on the AT for this upcoming summer, as Snowman and I still have the 600+ miles from Great Barrington, MA to finish up after having to get off the trail last summer.

So... the random question is...

I am looking at a day trip starting at US Rt. 4 in VT and heading north (not now, but in summer). In Wingfoot's book, he mentions a Stony Brook Road which is a little more than 10 miles from Rt 4... In the VT Gazeteer, the road starts as a "road" but ends up crossing the trail in their words as a "trail/track". Does anyone remember/know if the road really exists, and if so, does it seem like it would be possible to drive a car down it and park near the trail so we could finish up a dayhike there? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!
-Sparkplug :-)

Tin Man
03-07-2006, 23:09
I think there is a Stony Brook Shelter about 10 miles north of RT 4 and I recall a few roads along that stretch. I can get you more info when I am home this weekend if someone doesn't chime in before.

Deb
03-08-2006, 11:08
From "Exploring the Appalachian Trail," by David Emblidge:

"An AT sign at Stony Brook Rd. announces trail mileages north and south. Limited parking is permitted here. Heading left, the road (unpaved) passes Notown....Today Notown is indeed no town, just a remnant logging camp. It does offer a better parking area, however. In roughly 6.0 mi. Stony Brook Rd. reaches VT 107 west of Gaysville and east of Stockbridge (on VT 100). Thus, with two cars or a shuttle ride, a day hike could end here. To the right, the road soon deteriorates and may be impassable. Also to the right is a large cleared space for a current logging operation. If you park hereabouts, keep well off the road to avoid logging trucks."

Orientation is northbound.

lilmountaingirl
03-13-2006, 09:29
As far as I know, that road is passable by car. While doing a SOBO section from Rt 14 in VT to Rt 4 this summer, we smelled fire and heard people as we approached Stony Brook Shelter. All of the commotion turned out to be a whole slew of car camping folks complete with grills, blue tarps and pick up trucks. We had another 1/2 - 3/4 miles or so to the shelter (and were relieved to have it to ourselves).

Sparkplug
03-13-2006, 12:42
Thanks so much for the answers. Sounds like it might be possible to do a day hike ending at the road, which is what I was wondering! I appreciate the help :-)
-Sparkplug