PDA

View Full Version : I am now one of you....HH came today!

timhines
03-07-2006, 20:54
Wahoo! I won some cash at work last month so I decided to treat myself.

I bought the HH Explorer Deluxe w/ snakeskins.

I put the skins on (just the hammock, not with the rainfly). and began to set the hammock up on my porch.

It took a few tries to get the lashing down, but I was able to set it up and get in. Sagged somewhat, but I am sure it will be easier when I set it up with trees as my base and not my porch.

I'm only 190 lbs., but I was still hesitant to put my weight in the hammock. It just doesn't seem safe! But I did and of course it held just fine.

My first impression was that I got a wedgie when i sat down and lay back. Probably from not having the hammock strung up tight enough.

I was pleased that I could fit the hammock back in it's originally bag with the snake skins on. The rainly really doesn't fit in after that, but I have another small ditty bag that I can put it in. I would rather keep them seperate anyways in case the rainfly is wet when I put it up.

I hope to give it a go this weekend. HOpefully I will stay warm, i've been reading up on tips from this site and others.....

Just Jeff
03-07-2006, 21:20
Awesome...hope you enjoy it.

Remember, it may take a few nights to figure out the little tricks to stay comfortable, so don't give up on it if you're not comfortable that first night. Post back here what the problem was and we may be able to fix it. If you're not comfortable after three nights or so, it may not work out. (But expect to be comfortable...only a handful of people try it and go back to tenting/tarping.)

timhines
03-07-2006, 23:54
i'm going to try it Friday night. Temps should be in the 40s here in Western NC, we may even get some rain! What a way to break it in!

neo
03-08-2006, 00:24
awesome man,happy hammock hanging to ya:cool: neo

napster
03-08-2006, 00:30
Awesome...hope you enjoy it.

Remember, it may take a few nights to figure out the little tricks to stay comfortable, so don't give up on it if you're not comfortable that first night. Post back here what the problem was and we may be able to fix it. If you're not comfortable after three nights or so, it may not work out. (But expect to be comfortable...only a handful of people try it and go back to tenting/tarping.)

What Just Jeff is true also be prepared to fork out 3-4 hundred dollars for sum underware undercover that will keep ye ace warm.

hammock engineer
03-08-2006, 00:59
You can spend $250 on a down one or $200+ on a synethic one. Or you could throw sleeping pad in the bottom of your hammock and sleep in your bag on top of it. Total cost < $20, less if you already have one.

River Runner
03-08-2006, 01:27
Yep - if you are sleeping out in 40 F weather, you will need some insulation. Try the sleeping pad first, some feel comfortable with them, some are aggravated by trying to stay on the pad in the hammock - it's a bit of a trick, but can be learned eventually. I used to hate sleeping with my RidgeRest inside the hammock, but I've finally conquered it and actually grown to like it when temps are 40-45 or below. Higher than that I use the Hennessy supershelter system. Below 40 or so I use a combination of the two. In the 20's I add a synthetic quilt under the Hennessy underpad in addition to the RidgeRest inside.

If you use the snakeskins, you don't have to use a stuff sack - it's kinda redundant. I just fold my hammock up when it's in the snakeskins - fold in half, then in thirds, wrap the tree huggers around the center of the bundle, and wrap the hammock lines around that. Makes a nice compact bundle easily stuffed within the pack. You could use the original stuff sack to store the tarp separately if you want.

Just Jeff
03-08-2006, 02:52
Points taken, but Patrick's synthetic underquilt is $150 (Potomac) and JRB's down underquilts range from $170 (Shenandoah) to $270 (ORM).

It'll take more than a single .5" CCF pad to get to equivalent temps for those underquilts. With a cheap sleeve (like a SPE), stacking a few together would be simple, though. (A single .5" CCF pad isn't so warm sleeping on snow-covered ground, either.) When I use a pad, I like the down-filled inflatables...about $140 depending on length and model.

It doesn't have to be more expensive than tenting, and some folks think hammocking with a pad is still much more comfortable than ground sleeping with a pad. Different strokes for different folks.

generoll
03-08-2006, 08:46
I'm hoping my KAQ gets here in time to use it on my upcoming section hike but so far in testing my hammock my backside's gotten cold when the temps were in the 20s. First time I used a 3/8" CCF pad and the second time I used my new Big Agnes air core plus the CCF. I sleep cold so everything is subjective. I may have to switch back to my tent for cold weather camping and save the hammock for milder temps. Good luck.

skylark
03-08-2006, 11:47
I am also waiting on a KAQ so I can get back to winter hammocking. At 40F you could go with a full length closed cell pad, but you might want an additional short pad under your shoulders and back. Additional pad width is good at your shoulders and hips.

Try a sleeping bag as a quilt, it works fine as a quilt and it is too much of a pain to zip it up while hanging.

For luxury, try an inflatable pad.