PDA

View Full Version : toretlini.. long boil time...

DavidNH
03-07-2006, 22:35
I bought a few boxes of Toretelini and it looked like it would be great for dinner on the trail. Then at home I read on the box..you gotta get water to a rolling boil..then add tortelini and boil for fifteen minutes!!!

So question is: Is there away to reduce boiling time? like boil shut off stove and cover pot and let sit? If I really have to boil the stuff for 15 minutes..its not coming with me..that's too long and a lot of fuel!

Do you guys generally boil something for the full 5 or 10 or more minutes that the directions say?

David

Skidsteer
03-07-2006, 22:38
So question is: Is there away to reduce boiling time? like boil shut off stove and cover pot and let sit? If I really have to boil the stuff for 15 minutes..its not coming with me..that's too long and a lot of fuel.
David

Heck sakes buddy! Why don't you try it with your stove and see?:)

theurbansuburban
03-07-2006, 23:40
I put the contents of the bag into a zipplock back enough water to cover it all, put it in a cozzy and wait about 15 min. They're normally done enough, and heck they're good raw too so if they don't cook all the way through no biggie.

Chef2000
03-08-2006, 07:15
I just bought a Primus Gravity MF(multi fuel) similar to whisperlite it runs on white fuel. The book says boil time five mins. It comes with a bottom heat reflector plus windshield, this should help. A typical meal I prepare would take at least 5 mins to cook properly after boil time. I do not see this as a lot of time. In five years of serious long distance hiking, mostly with canister stoves I have never run out of fuel. I ahve even found fuel in shelters.

Mouse
03-08-2006, 08:05
Try it and find out! Also, look into the kind sold in mylar pouches. I ate it raw right out of the package more often than not, so I can't see much risk of undercooking it.

Peaks
03-08-2006, 08:44
If you read the directions on most pastas, it says simmer for 10 minutes, or boil for 10 minutes. So, because tortilini is thicker, it takes a little more time to cook.

Don't want to boil for that long? then try covering your pot with some sort of insulation and letting it sit for longer.

As others have posted, try it yourself at home.

BradC
03-08-2006, 09:37
Barilla Tortelleni are great raw and crunchy as some have pointed out. Even if they aren't perfectly al-dente they will still be good!

neo
03-08-2006, 09:49
i am going to add boiling water to a freezer bag filled with tortellini then leave it in a cozy for 15 minutes:cool: neo

Mouse
03-08-2006, 10:07
Barilla Tortelleni are great raw and crunchy as some have pointed out. Even if they aren't perfectly al-dente they will still be good!

THAT's the brand. Thanks, I could not remember it. Very thin making it easy to chew and more filling-to-pasta ratio. I never boiled it at all, just added boiling water and let it set a while.

Doctari
03-08-2006, 10:50
Try using less water. Usually the directions call for; "8 cups water, bring to boil, add pasta, simmer, drain add sauce" or at least something like that.

For most pasta: 2 cups water per cup of pasta (or rice) Kraft Mac & cheese is 1.5 Cups pasta, I add 3 cups water which leaves the pasta just moist enough to make the cheese sauce. I do sometimes add just a touch extra water to the cheese sauce, mostly cause my measurements on my cook pot aint that accurate, and I sometimes dont take the care I should :rolleyes:

And, as always, practice at home with the gear you will use on trall FIRST!!

Doctari.

digger51
03-08-2006, 12:27
I tested my kraft mac and cheese with my new jetboil several times. Boiled the water and added it to a ziplock in my cozy. Let it stand for 10 minutes or so and had almost perfect mac and cheese. The same should work for most any pasta. Just time and amount of water vary. Of course, like all the others have said, test at home first.

BradC
03-08-2006, 12:48
THAT's the brand. Thanks, I could not remember it.

No problem, that's the best stuff!

crutch
03-08-2006, 19:22
If you let them soak for about 15 minutes and then bring them up to a boil they work out just fine. I ate plenty of them last year. They're also good if you add some dried pasta or pesto sauce to the water just before they're done.

neo
03-08-2006, 19:46
If you let them soak for about 15 minutes and then bring them up to a boil they work out just fine. I ate plenty of them last year. They're also good if you add some dried pasta or pesto sauce to the water just before they're done.

pesto sounds good,i love pesto:cool: neo

sarbar
03-08-2006, 20:21
As TDale and me can attest, put your tortellini in a quart freezer bag, add boiling water and put in a cozy for a good 15 minutes. Yum!
Sure, one or two are crunchy, but otherwise it is fabu.

Don H
09-28-2010, 21:35
Just tried the Barilla Tortelleni. Put 1/3 of a bag or 4 oz. into a ziplock freezer bag and added 1 cup of boiling water. Wrapped the bag in a towel for insulation and let set for 15 minutes, squeezing occasionally to mix. It turned out great! A new item for my menu, I'm thinking Tortelleni and tuna!

daddytwosticks
09-29-2010, 07:39
On your way to the traihead, visit a fast food place like Arby's and score a small container of marinara sause. Store it in your cook pot to prevent crushing. Add to tortellini after cooking...enjoy! :)

medicjimr
10-02-2010, 16:32
I have pr cooked mine then dehydrated it to cut down on time I through it in the pot cover with cold water when a once of alcohol burns off I toss it in the cozy and check in ten minutes pour off most of the water leaving enough to mix and hydrate my sauce leather and it's time for dinner.

daddytwosticks
10-02-2010, 18:11
I use the Barilla stuff straight from the bag. I dump it in the cold water and slowly bring it to a boil. I hold the boil for about 4 or 5 minutes, take off stove, then cozy for about another 5. Usually ends up perfect for me. :)

Wise Old Owl
10-02-2010, 21:31
As TDale and me can attest, put your tortellini in a quart freezer bag, add boiling water and put in a cozy for a good 15 minutes. Yum!
Sure, one or two are crunchy, but otherwise it is fabu.

She is right and don't forget you can presoak an hour in a gatorade bottle.

You guys are tough.... :rolleyes:

quasarr
10-04-2010, 20:45
just put the pasta in the cold water, then heat to a boil. Saves time over boiling the water first. I also made a pot cozy for the lid and sides by cutting up one of those Walmart blue foam pads. you can even leave it on while cooking if you don't turn the flame up too high.

Johnny Thunder
10-04-2010, 20:48
i eat that stuff 6 nights out of 10 and never boil more than 7 or 8 minutes. really the pasta will continue to cook in non-boiling water...just be sure that the cheese isn't a brick and you're golden.

karo
10-05-2010, 15:18
I just started dehydrating some chicken filled tortellini that was left over from lunch. It is in the oven at 170 degrees on a broiling pan with the oven door cracked open since my dehydrator broke recently. It is the Angelino's gourmet brand chicken and bacon borsetti with some chunky Ragu sauce on it.
I was just wondering, approximately how long should I leave it in the oven to dehydrate?

Dogwood
10-05-2010, 16:28
Pre-soak the tortellini in a zip loc bag, Nalgene, etc so it cuts down on cook time when you finally do get to camp. The smaller the pasta the faster it cooks.