PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 35

dumbkid
03-07-2006, 23:43
Hi.
I'm looking to buy a new pack. I'm new to backpacking and have mostly done car camping with 5-8 hour hikes. I would like to begin doing 1 or 2 night packing. Would this size pack be large enough for me? Or should I get the Atmos 50? I prefer the size of the Atmos 35 and am a light packer in general. Thanks.

Also, any opinions on this pack or different packs would be appreciated.

Jack Tarlin
03-07-2006, 23:49
The Atmos series are great packs, but unless you're committed to lightweight backpacking (i.e. tarping; using minimalist gear; packing very few clothes and little food, etc.), you might find the 35 a bit small.

The Atmos 50 doesn't weigh that much more than the 35 and has a lot more space....it can be used on a thru-hike, for example, if you know what you're doing. Many folks who hiked with one last year (their first year on the market) loved the 50. I fitted and sold quite a few of these packs to hikers early in their trips, and ran into many of these folks much later, in Virginia, Pennsylvania, and New England. All of them were delighted with their choice.

For more info on the Atmos series, see www.ospreypacks.com

dumbkid
03-08-2006, 00:20
I was a bit worried about the size, but I plan to do mostly 1 night hikes/camp in the local region and figured I might be able to get away with the smaller bag and use it on quick day hikes. Clothes will be kept to a minimum as well as most other supplies. As of now, I don't plan to do any thru-hiking due to lack of time in my work schedule.

dumbkid
03-08-2006, 00:28
BTW....please excuse the post. I just realized that this is a forum for the appalachian trail. If you could still help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Jack Tarlin
03-08-2006, 11:00
This is a site devoted to the A.T., but we discuss all sorts of things here. Your original question was just fine.

bulldog49
03-08-2006, 11:12
I use the Atmos 50 and really like it. I believe the 35 would be too small unless you carry very little gear or always hike with someone you can share equipment with.

I agree with what Jack said, the small difference in the weight of the two packs is minor given the additional volume you get with the 50.

D'Artagnan
03-08-2006, 18:00
I looked at both last year and went with the Atmos 50. It works well for the 2 to 3 day stuff I normally carry. The 35 struck me as being a tad small. It's a versatile, well-designed pack that carries comfortably. Whichever you decide on, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Best of luck!

peter_pan
03-09-2006, 15:16
I took my summer pack load and a few items to simulate normal test items that every trip seems to include and tried the 25,35 and 50s...IMHO 25 is a summer one nighter for a true ULer, 35 a weekend for a ULer, 50 is best all around choice in this series... thru is quite doable even fo a lightweighter vs pure ULer...the vented back and frame takes up a lot of room.

Pan

wilderness bob
03-09-2006, 16:18
I went with the Atmos 50, just enough room with a little to spare (for those days with extra food). Highly advise you get measured by a salesman and bring in all the gear you plan to hike with (plus food) and see if it all fits in the pack. WB

Ender
03-10-2006, 11:23
I've been trying on these packs, both the 35 and the 50, and have found that while I always take a pack in medium, these packs fit me much better in large. So, make sure you get fit well before buying.

I want them both, 35 and 50. Probably will start with the 35 for weekends and biking.

lioness
03-10-2006, 14:44
A good fit is the most important thing. I love my Osprey pak... take it all the time on AT hikes and Patapsco State park in Baltimore.

vipahman
03-19-2006, 00:11
BTW....please excuse the post. I just realized that this is a forum for the appalachian trail. If you could still help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I was wondering why you posted here but your name says it all. :D Sorry couldn't resist the jab. ;)