PDA

View Full Version : fuel for alcohol stoves

Tattoo
03-07-2006, 23:45
We are starting the trail on the 22nd, and I think that I cannot bring denatured alcohol on a plane. Is it easy to get the alcohol in or around atlanta? I still have not found a shuttle, but will they take you to a hardware store to get fuel? Also is it easy to get on the trail? any input would be great.

khaynie
03-08-2006, 08:25
Walmart, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, Sherwin Williams, are very common between Atlanta and Springer. Just have your shuttler swing you by so you can pick up a qaurt - you typically won't find it by the oz until you get to the trail. And yes, it's easy to find along the AT. Good luck on your hike!

BW2006
03-08-2006, 09:35
The hiker hostel in Dahlonega will pick you up from the MARTA station and will shuttle to their hostel and provide breakfast and a shuttle to the trail in the morning. (I believe MARTA is a train line that runs directly from the airport, they pick up from the farthest line out) The phone # is in the companion book and mighe be in the data book too. Good luck with your hike!

Footslogger
03-08-2006, 09:58
If all else fails, look for a NAPA Auto Parts store. Most all towns have one. They carry HEET in the yellow 12 oz bottle. In my experience it burns hotter than regular denatured alcohol sold at the hardware stores.

'Slogger

asphalt commando
03-08-2006, 12:32
Just built a "penny stove" and will be using it for the first time this month. I knew you cannot carry the pressurized cylinders on a plane, but did not know that you cannot take a container of deneatured alcohol on a plane, is this correct???

Left Hand
03-08-2006, 14:39
Yes, it is correct. No flammables are allowed. Also, make sure your stove is really, really clean. ie. doesn't smell like fuel.

wilderness bob
03-08-2006, 22:31
Denatured Alcohol (DA) does come in a variety of different sources. The main ingrediant to look for is Ethyl Alcohol. Make sure you get the yellow bottle of HEET, not the red. DA also can be purchased at a hardware store as a cleaning solvent, look for the mineral spritis and it may be found there. Finaly the best place I found DA is in Walmart (less then a dollar). Personal advise, use a clear small gatoraid bottle wrapped in an old sock. If you spill the fuel use the sock to wipe it up as well as your hands before you light. The sock also protects the bottle as well. Make sure to mark the bottle (wrap with ring of black electrical tape) to protect against accidental consumption, I seen it happen. See you up the trail. Widerness Bob, class of 05

Tattoo
03-14-2006, 23:42
Is it alright to bring a can alcohol stove on the plane or will the airline have a problem with it looking like somthing else???!!!!!!

Skidsteer
03-14-2006, 23:47
Denatured Alcohol (DA) does come in a variety of different sources. The main ingrediant to look for is Ethyl Alcohol. Make sure you get the yellow bottle of HEET, not the red. DA also can be purchased at a hardware store as a cleaning solvent, look for the mineral spritis and it may be found there. Finaly the best place I found DA is in Walmart (less then a dollar). Personal advise, use a clear small gatoraid bottle wrapped in an old sock. If you spill the fuel use the sock to wipe it up as well as your hands before you light. The sock also protects the bottle as well. Make sure to mark the bottle (wrap with ring of black electrical tape) to protect against accidental consumption, I seen it happen. See you up the trail. Widerness Bob, class of 05

Denatured for less than a dollar? Do tell. The best price I've found is @ $5.00 per quart at Wal-Mart. Perhaps your local Wal-Mart sells smaller quantities?

sliderule
03-15-2006, 10:41
I was in a Georgia Wal Mart yesterday. They were almost giving away HEET and other brands of gas line antifreeze. 25 cents per bottle.

Seeker
03-15-2006, 11:20
Is it alright to bring a can alcohol stove on the plane or will the airline have a problem with it looking like somthing else???!!!!!!

when i flew up to new york last summer, i had all my gear in a big army duffle bag. when i threw the bag up on the counter for inspection, i told the guy it was camping equipment, and that if he saw anything weird through his xray machine, i'd be glad to explain what it was... i had my wife and two daughters with me at the time, so that might have helped... but my gear, including pepsi can stove, made it through security just fine...

Doctari
03-15-2006, 11:30
I recently got HEET knock off at Big Lots, seems to burn just as good, $0.25 a bottle, so about $1.00 a Qt.

Should only need 1 bottle for Springer to Neel's gap, I would think.

Doctari.

Tattoo
03-15-2006, 12:09
Since I have become obsessed with making those stupid stoves, I think that I will premake all of the parts but not assible it until we are in georga, my with thinks this trail will be good for me because I won't have access to any pop cans so that this addiction will slowly fade away..... I hope.

Tattoo
03-15-2006, 12:21
I ment to say my wife thinks it is good for me to be on the trail.... that denatured alcohol is starting to affect my brain!!!!!!

No Belay
03-15-2006, 13:39
Tattoo, if you send me an itinerary of your hike, I'll cache stove parts and tools at different crossings for you. We'll increase the distances between caches as you head north and by the time you hit the 100 Mile Wild you should be weaned. A stove construction habit is not one to be taken lightly and I'm sure it would not be in your best interest to quit it cold turkey. Let me know what you think and our U2BSM (used to be stove makers) support
group will pray for you.

Tattoo
03-15-2006, 18:31
is it wrong to dream about stoves??? We are doing a lot of mail drops so that when we get into towns we only have to go to the post office, my wife feels that the grocery stores will only present the opportunity to hold and feel those beautiful pepsi cans.... oh pepsi can how I love thee.... any way going cold cola:: I mean turkey is the only way.. but thanks anyway No Belay!!!!!!!!!!