PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the new ULA Conduit!

Old Spice
03-07-2006, 23:59
I just bought a ULA Conduit. ULA is backordered a few weeks, but I'll have it just in time for my thru. The Conduit is a 3200 cubic inch, 20 oz. bag that seems to be similar to GG's Virga. Any thoughts from those in the know regarding this pack or ULA in general?

BTW, In order to pay for this pack I had to sell my Vapor Trail. It is posted on WB and is brand new if you're in the market. $99.

milesbarger
03-08-2006, 02:00
My Conduit just shipped on Monday morning, so I'm hoping it'll be here in the next day or two. When I get the pack, I'll try to load it up and post some pictures. I probably won't have a real trip report before you get yours because midterms are pressing, but I'd be glad to give you any info I can.

From a purely "specs" standpoint, I decided on the Conduit for a number of reasons. It's relatively large size (compared to other UL packs) was a plus because I have quite a few synthetic insulation items (MicroPuff pullover, RayWay quilt), plan on carrying the bulky stuff when my girlfriend and I go camping, and want room for the extra stuff that winter trips and/or long stretches without resupply might warrant. There are many packs that are lighter (Mountain Laurel Designs, Gossamer Gear, etc.), but most lighter packs seem to offer less features (no hip belt pockets, external mesh pockets, etc.) and durability (Brian offers a lifetime warranty against craftsmanship AND materials and doesn't use anything less durable than 210d gridstop) and both of those issues are very important to me. Also, the pack looks damn pretty.

As far as my limited interactions with Brian at ULA, he seems like a great guy, and I personally feel very good about supporting his business. He has always promptly responded to my emails, and the other product I've purchased from him prior to this pack (Pacer Poles, which, incidentally, are fantastic) arrived at my doorstep very quickly. Read his website info, go listen to his interview on TrailCast (http://www.trailcast.com), and check around these and other forums. I think you'll find lots of praise for him and his products.

Old Spice
03-08-2006, 02:34
Yeah, be sure to post your thoughts when you get it. I'm fairly anxious to get mine.

milesbarger
03-15-2006, 18:31
I got my Conduit on Monday. I haven't had time to take it on a trip, but I've loaded it up with everything but food and walked around inside a bit.

The pack is beautifully made. All seams are taped, nothing is amiss, and it's very aesthetically pleasing. The only construction 'surprise' that isn't noted on the website is a pad sleeve on the inside of the pack. It's very minimal, nothing more than a small fabric sleeve about 6 inches long and the width of the pack with two elastic straps running vertically to the bottom and a velcro tab on top to hold it in place. It doesn't accept a big pad (my GossamerGear NightLight torso BARELY fits), but it does hold it snug and keeps it rigid, which is very important for transferring the load down to the hips. The main bag is pretty small (2100ci), but the side pockets, back pocket (it held my DriDucks, water filter, first-aid and odds and ends with room to spare), and hip pockets hold a lot and keep things organized. The compression straps on the sides and top really give you flexibility (I had my Squall 2 with poles in one of the side pockets running under the top compression strap, for instance). Although there are no compression straps on the bottom portion of the pack, the shoulder straps attach to the rear of the pack (the 'cradle' anchor shown in the ULA website photos) and seem to compress the load just as well.

It took me a few tries, but once I got the pack correctly loaded and fine-tuned the fit, it felt great. I had about 11 pounds on my back (approx. 9lbs base weight + 1 liter of water), and I hardly felt it. In addition, it was very easy to move the weight from my hips completely to my shoulders and anywhere in between. I'm very excited to think about how comfortable my 4-season 3-day load (around 15 pounds) will feel on the trail.

If you have questions or would like pictures of anything specific, let me know.

Jerm
03-21-2006, 23:30
miles-what size did you order and what is your torso length. and what is your impression based on fit.