PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Thru

jawilson20
03-08-2006, 01:17
I am trying to gather information on how much I would spend on a thru hike next year. I think the best way would be for folks to respond with how much they spent and if they thought they were being cheap and a little more free spending.

Sly
03-08-2006, 02:04
Depends on how long you're out there. About $500 per month should get you through.

The General
03-08-2006, 03:45
I would say that Sly has it about right $1.50 per mile. if you want to stop over in towns or do some other of Trail activity then add some extra also if you may need to offset some for any gear failures or changes you may want to do. but all in all for a Thru Hike between $3,000-$5000 will be ample. some do it on less depends what you want from your Hike.

Peaks
03-08-2006, 09:16
I am trying to gather information on how much I would spend on a thru hike next year. I think the best way would be for folks to respond with how much they spent and if they thought they were being cheap and a little more free spending.

Like the general says, it all depends on how you want to hike the trail. Some spend less than $2000, and others $10,000.

Hiking the trail itself is basically free. It's in towns where you spend your money. So, the more days off you take in towns, the more you are going to spend.

Probably your research should be spent reading other threads on this topic, as well as trail journals. Then, maybe you will get an understanding of how different people hike, and how much they spend.

McPick
03-08-2006, 10:19
Hmmm... I guess I've been thinking more about what the cost would be if I don't do it...:rolleyes:

As in: "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover…" Mark Twain

DavidNH
03-08-2006, 10:36

Remember also to factor in the cost of getting to the trail head, the cost of getting home..the cost of leaving what ever it was you were doing before the hike (ie quitting job, storage fees etc etc) and you of course should have health insurance. The cost of a hike is not just on trail costs but all that other stuff.

That said, regardless of the cost of a thru hike..I think one should do what ever is necessary to make it possible! That Mark Twain quote says it all!!!

David

hammock engineer
03-08-2006, 11:27
Like David said, do not forget your off the trail costs. I figured the cost for 6 months for my bills (student loan, car, insurance, cell phone) to be around $3000.

I plan on hitting the trail with $3K-$4K saved for spending. I do not feel the need to live it up in town along the trail. Plus I am going solo, so I do not have other people to convince me to spend money. It's hard to be the only one in a group that doesn't go to the bar or resturant.

You are basically a year out. You could pick up a part time job and save close to $10K if you want to. My adivce is to start saving now. I waited too long and I am having to work a lot in the months leading up to my hike to make up for it.

Skyline
03-08-2006, 11:57
$1.50 to $2.50 per mile while you're hiking and/or taking zero days, plus cost of gear, transportation from/to home, and whatever your unavoidable expenses are outside of trail life.

Some do it for less, some more, but in 2006 I'd say this is the most common range for a thru-hiker. For section hikers, the cost goes up considerably--especially in the area of transportation and any paid lodging involved in getting to the trail and home again.

But it's all good, and in the total picture of what you will spend living your entire life it's miniscule even if you do the Trail with a few luxuries here and there.

wilderness bob
03-13-2006, 19:04
Try not to think of just what you might spend, think of ways to save the cash now. An example, people bounce food boxes to save cash. I bounced an equipment box. Things that were used in the colder weather was cleaned, went north and I picked them up when I got there. Light weight gear waited for me within a few months of starting so I could get rid of the weight, including a boot swap. Use the same box to send stuff forward. Include tape, wrapping paper and scissors to keep from buying it local. Always include things you may want to replace, light stuff (socks, boot waterproofing, water purification and such) it is cheaper then buying along the trail. Minus equipment and transportation I spent around 4 k. I was told I was on the high side of the cost. WB

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline. Delque

SGTdirtman
03-13-2006, 20:33
Are you people all homeless without cars or anything.... Im figuring on having to save at least 10 grand for my trip, Just because I'm in the woods doesnt mean my rent, car payment, utility bills, insurance etc goes away. And I dunno any job thats gonna give me a 6 month paid vacation... so i have to save enough money to be technically unemployed for that six months.

how do you people do it, do you have no bills?

Old Spice
03-13-2006, 20:47
Are you people all homeless without cars or anything.... Im figuring on having to save at least 10 grand for my trip, Just because I'm in the woods doesnt mean my rent, car payment, utility bills, insurance etc goes away. And I dunno any job thats gonna give me a 6 month paid vacation... so i have to save enough money to be technically unemployed for that six months.

Wow, 10,000! These are all realistic concerns, but dude you're 22. If you can't pull off a thru-hike now, then when will you be able to? The longer you wait, the more responsibilities and debt you're going to accumulate. For me, it's all a bit of give and take. I'm a student and work jobs that I can quit and pick up when I get back (i.e. barista, bartender, waiter). I also rent, so I can wait for my lease to run out and get an apartment when get back. I live in NYC, so I don't have a car. The only real financial worry I have is my student loans. I'm not gonna sugar coat it though, no matter where you are in life, a thru-hike invovles a lot of sacrifice... but if it's a life dream and you're committed to doing it, you can find a way.

Sly
03-14-2006, 01:48

I have no idea of what you pay for rent, but to me it would be pretty silly keeping an apartment for 6 months, paying utilities while I'm on the trail.

Car payment? Wait until it's paid off or sell it.

I'm sure most don't get paid while on the trail. That's what savings are for. I've come home flat broke on many occasions and always seemed to make due, somehow.

If you own a home that's another matter, but I know people that sold those too in order to hike.

Chances are, once you hike, it's not likely you'll be in the same frame of mind. Materials goods, other than gear almost become meaningless...

Still, my worldly, most prized possessions fit in my pack! Anything else can easily be replaced.

SGTdirtman
03-14-2006, 02:30
I have no idea of what you pay for rent, but to me it would be pretty silly keeping an apartment for 6 months, paying utilities while I'm on the trail.

Car payment? Wait until it's paid off or sell it.

I'm sure most don't get paid while on the trail. That's what savings are for. I've come home flat broke on many occasions and always seemed to make due, somehow.

If you own a home that's another matter, but I know people that sold those too in order to hike.

Chances are, once you hike, it's not likely you'll be in the same frame of mind. Materials goods, other than gear almost become meaningless...

Still, my worldly, most prized possessions fit in my pack! Anything else can easily be replaced.

Wow... sorry I kinda like my house, my truck, my possesions and I like my job too. Dont feel like starting a new life because I wanna go on a hiking trip. :rolleyes:

digger51
03-14-2006, 02:47
This giving it all up to hike seems like a silly way of doing things. If you cant afford the hike right now try sections during vacations. As an army retiree i have the funds for my hike. Some of us have to wait till we retire to afford it. Others do the live without deal. To each his own. Do what is best for you and ignore the hype of "you need so much less after a hike". I enjoy my creature comforts now and will enjoy them in six months.

NotYet
03-14-2006, 10:34
I owned a house and rented it out while I was gone. This was a big help financially! If you are a renter and want to keep your place, you could check with the landlord to see if you could sublet or get a roommate put on the lease for the time that you are gone.

When planning my trip, I made sure that I saved enough money to cover all my "back home" bills and put that money in one bank account. Then in a different account, I saved enough money to cover what I estimated would be more than my actual trip expenses. I used mail drops; so I paid for most of my food in bulk ahead of time.

How much money you will actually need will depend upon the amount of your bills back home, how long your trip takes, how long you stay in towns, and if you already have your gear. It's good to try to sort this out before you start your hike. Some thru-hikes are ended early because the hikers just ran out of money...Good luck with your planning and with your saving!

Sly
03-14-2006, 12:31
Wow... sorry I kinda like my house, my truck, my possesions and I like my job too. Dont feel like starting a new life because I wanna go on a hiking trip. :rolleyes:

Well, if you like you house, truck and job and want to stay in them, it may be hard to manage a thru-hike.

This is pretty elementry. I wouldn't expect to get paid while you hike but you may be able to get a leave of absence. If you don't sublet your house, expect to pay rent, same with your truck payments if it's not paid off before you leave. So yes, your bills will remain and need to be paid and the hike will still cost you from $3-4000

If a thru-hike is important to you, you'll find a way.

gravityman
03-14-2006, 16:05

We kept our townhome while we hiked and were very happy we did. It was a real comfort to come back to our stuff, our bed, and our house afterwards. In 2001 we were moving from Florida to CO, so we put what we had in storage. Things didn't work out, and we left the trail at Harper's Ferry, and it was a lot of stress not having somewhere to call home. This time we had somewhere to call home, and wouldn't you know it, we made it the whole way :)

We did make sacrafices though, including purchasing a townhome rather than a house because we knew we wanted to hike (but it had another reason - we hope to rent it when we finally have enough money to buy the house we want).

Gravity and Danger