PDA

View Full Version : AT Ridge Runners?

SGTdirtman
03-08-2006, 02:44
Do they have ridge runners in all states on the AT? I've only ever encounted a few in high point NJ but thought that has to be the coolest job on earth...

SnakebiteSurvivor
03-08-2006, 07:34
I've met ridge runners in Maine (at Chairback Gap, in August 2001) and in Virginia (last year at Thomas Knob Shelter).

Peaks
03-08-2006, 09:06
Several maintaining clubs have ridge runners. Typically, they are in the heavy used sections. I've seen them along the Long Trail, and Connecticut as well. I think Massachusetts has them as well. (Deb?)

jawilson20
03-08-2006, 09:17
What is a ridge runner?

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 09:19
What is a ridge runner?
I never could understand what thier job was/is. They aren't needed.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 09:20
They're paid trash haulers.

jawilson20
03-08-2006, 09:20
Are they rangers that hike the trail in certain areas? I saw one a Neel's Gap Sunday.

betic4lyf
03-08-2006, 12:57
they have them in mass. i think their job is to be ambassadors to the trail, and make people feel welcome, and tech people LNT, and make sure everything is ok. they probably also just check to see if people are injsured or anything, just so that things don't go hidden

digger51
03-08-2006, 13:05
They are often individuals with overinflated egos who wish to force their ideas about hiking on the rest of us. Little barons with their feifdoms of trail. Of course there are some really great ones who actually help the hikers with info, but I have encountered more bad than good.

Ridge
03-08-2006, 13:23
They're paid trash haulers.

I wish they were paid. We hauled a lot of trash out of the Neels Gap/Blood Mtn area just last week, I'm still waiting for my check.

Mountain Man
03-08-2006, 13:28
Are they rangers that hike the trail in certain areas? I saw one a Neel's Gap Sunday.

Yes they are Rangers that hike the trail in the Wilderness Areas that work for the USFS. Also in Georgia there is a Ridge Runner that will hike the trail about 8 months out of the year. There is a Caretaker at Springer for about 3 months. Not only picking up trash, teaching LNT, but also reporting trail problems of the trail to the Trail Maintainers.

Alligator
03-08-2006, 13:38
Pennsylvania has them too. Met one just south of DWG last summer.

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 13:49
I encountered a RR in connecticut who said they have them in a lot of alot of states. They are assigned a territory (about 60 miles of trail) and hike it back and forth, making sure hikers are o.k and informing us of the rules. They work like 7 days, then get a few days off. The RR's Ive met seemed pretty cool, although I could see how one might develop a power trip.

Alligator
03-08-2006, 13:54
I wish they were paid. We hauled a lot of trash out of the Neels Gap/Blood Mtn area just last week, I'm still waiting for my check.
Maybe it should be obvious, but are you a Georgia Ridge Runner Ridge?

Or are you a GATC member?

KirkMcquest
03-08-2006, 14:10
In conn., they are paid. Some other states too.

SGTdirtman
03-08-2006, 15:13
well if they arent paid, they arent what I'm talking about. :)

The few I met in highpoint were really cool guys, many hikers stop at the ranger station in highpoint and kinda fester around their lawn and use their bathrooms/phone etc (a pretty funny site) but the rangers seem eager to lend there lawn to the bunches of smelly hikers. and the ridge runners would stop back at the station and talk to the hikers, asked us if we saw any problems on the trail or had any questions. pretty cool guys...

Alligator
03-08-2006, 15:33
Maybe it should be obvious, but are you a Georgia Ridge Runner Ridge?

Or are you a GATC member?
or is that Q-T pie LOL,...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=181310#post181310

briarpatch
03-09-2006, 15:28
I don't know about the rest of the trail, but here in Georgia, we have two paid positions that work for the GATC: the Caretaker at Springer, and a Ridgerunner. The caretaker at Springer is in place for 10-12 weeks in prime thru-hiker season. This year, our caretaker is a former southbound thruhiker who was a ridgerunner in the Smokies for 4 years. He's there to act as an information source, to teach leave no trace, to call for emergency help and/or provide first aid, and to generally keep things going smoothly on Springer with all of the traffic that it will see in the next few months. He also helps the ATC with sort of a count of thrus vs section vs day hikers, and approach trail use.

The Ridgerunner starts in a few days and works till October, hiking the trail in Georgia and providing information and assisting hikers as needed. As Mountain Man stated, he also reports areas needing maintenance to the section maintainers. He performs some light maintenance, and yes, he does collect trash and clean out firepits (people seem to forget that foil doesn't burn) but thats not the focus of his job. The Ridgerunner this year has been the Springer Caretaker for the last couple of seasons.

Both positions are hired by the GATC, and are not Forest Service jobs. We use the ATC as a source for applicants.

Ridge
03-09-2006, 19:47
or is that Q-T pie LOL,...http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=181310#post181310

The questions you asked are basically none of anyones business. I realize you and maybe others got a little peed off at one or both of my son's prank with the tent photo, but as I posted at the thread it was done, I apologize to whoever owns the picture and to all here at WB I have changed my passwords for my access only. They'll, along with friends, will have to sign themselves up and they can do what ever.

Ridge
03-09-2006, 19:54
I can tell you, anonymity is the good thing about this website. Otherwise, I'd probably be attacked by carbide tip pole carrying dog hikers leaving me as litter in a fire pit.

Chef2000
03-09-2006, 20:53
In Mass there is usually two paid positions, depending on the budget. They are hired by the state and work for the Department of recreation and Conservation, they are not rangers. The Berkshire chapter of the AMC has volunteer ridgerunner program for high impact areas. The AMC also has cartetakers at some tentsites.

Those guys in High Point NJ are probably StatePark rangers.

Ridgerunners are most definetely not egostistical fiefdom people, they are people who care about the trail, perhaps more then the very thruhikers they assist.

In 2000 the GA ridgerunner, a former thruhiker, was totally awesome and a great help on my hike

Cosmo
03-09-2006, 20:55
RR vary quite a bit by management area. In CT and Southern MA, they are a paid position (not very much $) and work 10days on and 4 days off. They are supplemented in busy areas by volunteer "weekend ridgerunners" who are generally local volunteers with a smaller amount of training, but a good deal of local knowledge. Like most "people to people" jobs, each RR brings her/his personality to the trail.

Their main goal is education, helping folks new to the AT learn how to use it with respect for the trail and fellow hikers. They also do a fair amount of maintenance and clean up. As a weekend RR, I've hauled an amazing variety of crap out of the woods, including a sleeping bag left in the privy (is was as bad as you can imagine, I used all my trash bags hauling that one out). They are a contact point for SAR professionals, and often clue in long distance hikers about the local scene.

It's a fun job if you like people. If you go to the woods to be alone, it's probably not the job for you.

Cosmo

A-Train
03-09-2006, 21:58
I was one of the 3 Ridgerunners for New Jersey last summer (2005). I was hired and paid by the New York/NJ Trail Conference, though the other 2 in my section were paid by the state of NJ (through the Park Service). The job ran from Memorial day to Labor day, and we worked 5 days on, 2 days off, though some other runners worked 10 on, 4 off.

The ATC employed ridgerunners in the Mid-Atlantic in NJ (3), Northern PA (1), Cumberland Valley (1), Michaux forest (1), Maryland (2), No. Virgina (1) and Shenendoah (1). The AMC does employ a few RR's for CT/MASS.

The job can be great and it can be rough. You get paid to hike, and you spend all summer talking and interacting with people. That's awesome. You also hike the same section over, and over and over again. There were parts of trail I must have covered 20 or 30 times and it does get monotonous. Things can be quite slow in late august or september when most folks have returned back to work and the thru-hikers have passed. You definately need to enjoy spending time alone for there is lots of it. I probably read twice as much last summer as I did in a normal college semester, though all for pleasure. There is some paperwork involved (keeping track of hikers met, firerings, trash, blowdowns, etc) but this isn't too much of a problem.

For those curious as to what the purpose of a RR is, there are many. They are information givers and sharers. They report to hikers the weather, the trail conditions, emergencies, water info, where to camp and where not to, etc. Many of you thru-hikers may deem RR's useless and unecessary, but imagine all the use the trail gets in the summer with folks who don't know how to find water, where to camp, how to use a stove or a tent, how to throw a bear rope and bag, and where to go to the bathroom. For instance, Backpacker campsite 5 miles north of the DWG, sees 30 people a night in the summer. Many of these folks are from urban areas who aren;t familiar with proper backcountry use. I saw it all last summer: people without water, adequate food, tents, people who packed in tons of alcohol, wanted to start fires in no fire zones, people who thought you were supposed to dump your trash in the woods, and people who thought you were supposed to attract bears. If you've hiked in Jersey, you know how serious the bear problem is. Last summer we closed a shelter for a few days while a bear was put down.
A RR picks up trash, does trail maintainence, and reports back to the trail conference what needs to be done, and what problems exist. Essentially they are the liason between the hikers and the maintainers. Everyone knows the maintainers don't get out a lot. Likewise the state and park rangers seldom can actually get onto the trails. Having a RR report a problem can expediate the process which otherwise might have gone unoticed.
Ridgerunners keep an eye out for shady characters, people who have bad motives and for other problems. Last year we were involved in several situations involving informing the rangers of people who endangered the trail and themselves. We also assisted in search and rescues. Lastly we're all trainer in First Aid and CPR and I helped several folks with bum ankles, dehydration, blisters, and heat stroke.

I think the job of a RR is crucial to protecting the trail, and I hope that the funding to provide the positions continues to exist.

Old Spice
03-09-2006, 22:02
A-Train your a toal tool. We sit at work with nothing to talk about except the homeboys looking for "Vas-kwes" boots with no creases in the toe and this has never come up? Have your stories ready for me tomorrow.

Alligator
03-09-2006, 22:08
The questions you asked are basically none of anyones business. I realize you and maybe others got a little peed off at one or both of my son's prank with the tent photo, but as I posted at the thread it was done, I apologize to whoever owns the picture and to all here at WB I have changed my passwords for my access only. They'll, along with friends, will have to sign themselves up and they can do what ever.
Your FOS Cyber Sierra. The moment you posted on site about your alleged 1996 thru-hike, PCT "Attempt", and 19 years of trail maintenance, you made information public which became everyone's business. Your lame ass excuse doesn't cut it. We're supposed to wait while you figure out your scanner? It's plug and play, get one of your tecno savvy kids to figure it out. In the mean time I'm sure you'll be digging for more internet photos. A credible character witness might improve your credibility. The tone and content of the posts from the last few days are no different than others, with specific factual information remaining consistent. You're trolling the site. Toss this sock puppet in the trash and dust another one off cyber boy.

weary
03-09-2006, 23:09
they have them in mass. i think their job is to be ambassadors to the trail, and make people feel welcome, and teach people LNT, and make sure everything is ok. they probably also just check to see if people are injsured or anything, just so that things don't go hidden
That pretty much describes the ridgerunner program in Maine. Essentially, they are educators.

drsukie
03-09-2006, 23:12
Our GA Ridge Runner is fantastic; he's a great guy, knows his stuff, doesn't get flapped about dumb things, and is always welcome to join us for dinner when my pals and I go hiking! He even kept a nuisance bear away from Springer one night - oh, wait, that was our friend Brian's (aka Bear Repellant) snoring ....

I wonder if those who do not like the RR's feel that way because they are doing something uncool, illegit, or stupid? :-? Sue

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2006, 23:22
Several folks (especially A-Train) have provided info on what a RR does. One think that needs to be stressed is that by interacting with hikers and checking registers, Ridge Runners are the point men and women for the ATC and the local Trail clubs as far as keeping track of how frequently campsites and shelters are used by the public. It is this information that helps the clubs make the decision on expanding shelters, building new sites, adding privies, building tentpads, etc. The Ridgerunners are the folks who have the best idea of how much use each facility or site is getting each season; this puts them in a unique position to tell the local clubs what improvements or changes need to be made, and where.

On the whole, the RR's do a great deal of good, and I think it's a fine program. In many years, I've only had negative experiences with two. In one case, it was a RR who wasn't controlling their dog; in the other case, the guy was simply a rude, arrogant SOB. But they were very much in the minority.

saimyoji
03-09-2006, 23:41
I encountered the RR that patrolled DWG last fall (2005). At first he was content to pass me on the trail with a nod (which I normally appreciate; I don't like nosy hikers, sorry) but I stopped and asked if he was the RR. We had a very nice chat about the trails around DWG, specifically the damage done to the Dunnfield Creek trail (about which I have posted a few times). He asked if I was staying at the BP site, interested in chatting more later (I wasn't). Very nice guy, wish I could remember his name.....

A-Train
03-10-2006, 00:34
I encountered the RR that patrolled DWG last fall (2005). At first he was content to pass me on the trail with a nod (which I normally appreciate; I don't like nosy hikers, sorry) but I stopped and asked if he was the RR. We had a very nice chat about the trails around DWG, specifically the damage done to the Dunnfield Creek trail (about which I have posted a few times). He asked if I was staying at the BP site, interested in chatting more later (I wasn't). Very nice guy, wish I could remember his name.....

Most likely you're talking of Jim Wright, "The Lone Ranger" of 02'. Great guy

A-Train
03-10-2006, 00:47
Jeez, I forgot the Leave No Trace part of the job, one of the most important facets. Though this didn't go over well with most long distance hikers, many weekenders, day hikers, scout groups and other organized summer groups were quite receptive to the principles and teachings of LNT. This is a big part of protecting the sensitive areas, the overused areas and the wildlife. Without this education we'd undoubtably have more black bear issues, fatalities and incidents.

I'm sure many of you have enjoyed places like Sunfish Pond, Sages Ravine and Annapolis Rocks. These places would literally not exist if not for the regular presence of caretakers/ridgerunners. They'd be overun with campers, litter, rampant fires, noise, animal problems, etc. The impact has been lessened by the presence of a person and education.

Lastly, I highly recommend this position to anyone who is interested. It's a great opportunity to spend time outdoors, meet lots of great people, get to know a section of trail REALLY well, have a direct realtionship with maintainers, volunteers and trail conference workers/members. Plus you get paid to hike. How sweet is that?!

Dances with Mice
03-10-2006, 01:38
In Georgia, the Ridgerunner / Caretaker Program has been renamed the "Ridgerunner Outdoor Education Program" and the Ridgerunner will be made available for LNT talks to local community and youth groups during the week.

The GATC is continuing its giveaway program for thruhikers who listen to a LNT lesson by the Caretaker. The hikers are given a matchbook printed with the LNT principles that they show at Mountain Crossings to receive either a bandana or a Platypus water bottle, both also printed with LNT principles.

So let’s go through that again: Hikers can receive a FREE platypus water bottle or a nice bandana simply by listening to the Caretaker’s lesson on LNT. That’s it! There’s no test. The matches and water bottle or bandana are the GATC’s gift to hikers.

The training in outdoor ethics is a gift to the rest of the Trail.

Skyline
03-10-2006, 02:18
In SNP, we have at least one, sometimes two, ridgerunners from mid-May until late Summer each year. The RRs I've had the opportunity to meet had a long list of tasks, and they stayed busy. I never met one with a bad attitude. Wish I could say the same for hikers, but even there the bad attitudes were very much in the minority.

RRs hike the AT within a specified zone several times during their assignment. They typically tent or stay in shelters just like other hikers. They carry heavy walkie talkies and other work-related materials in addition to typical backpacking gear, and are often burdened with additional weight in the form of trash. They help the volunteer maintainers of trails and shelters by picking up after those hikers who are lazy and inconsiderate. They educate the hiking public about where tentsites, shelters, water sources, and places to get assistance are located. They teach hikers LNT, and lead or participate in various seminars sponsored by SNP, ATC, and PATC during their assignment. They make reports about trail conditions and usage which helps backcountry managers. They assist Park personnel during emergencies. In SNP, they work 10 days straight and then get 4 days off. They get paid, but none has ever been able to live luxuriously on those paychecks.

Last year's RR for Shenandoah, a former thru-hiker named Web Breaker, has received many compliments from hikers, SNP personnel, etc. for going above and beyond the call of duty. He is re-upping for '06.

RRs do not have law enforcement duties, and cannot make arrests. But they can and should inform the public when they are doing something illegal, and have the ability to call upon NPS law enforcement who CAN make arrests or issue citations as a last resort.

AbeHikes
03-10-2006, 08:03
Our GA Ridge Runner is fantastic; he's a great guy, knows his stuff, doesn't get flapped about dumb things, and is always welcome to join us for dinner when my pals and I go hiking! He even kept a nuisance bear away from Springer one night - oh, wait, that was our friend Brian's (aka Bear Repellant) snoring ....

I wonder if those who do not like the RR's feel that way because they are doing something uncool, illegit, or stupid? :-? Sue

Was that Roger? The Gandolf-looking fellow? Very nice guy...

MOWGLI
03-10-2006, 08:10

Roger - aka Many Sleeps. A SOBO thru hiker at age 66. From Maine. Great guy.

jhedrick
03-10-2006, 08:51
I was the Ridgreunner for the Shenandoah National Park last year and will have the job next year. I sincerely hope that I was not viewed as an "egostistical fiefdom person" , but rather as someone available to assist and educate hikers.

A-Train, Skyline, Baltimore Jack and others have described the Ridgerunner duties very well. In addition, I spent time working on the AT with the PATC trail crews and the SNP Trail crew. On several occassions I assisted the Rangers in searching for lost or confused hikers and in one instance we tracked down an individual who had threatened a female hiker.

The SNP is a nice place to hike and it receives a lot of novice overnighters, church groups, and other such groups who are trying out their gear for the first time or simply end the day having overextending themselves. It was always rewarding to interact with these groups and lend some assistance if needed. I rarely had to "preach" to any hiker, except to stop one person from throwing his hatchet at a live oak and tearing the tree to pieces, or encouraging dog owners to keep their dogs under control. I probably spent more time hunting for lost dogs as I did lost hikers.

I could go on and on about some of the interesting encounters in the 103 mike park. Suffice it to say, that all the Ridgerunners I have met take the job very seriously and go out of their way to assist their fellow hikers.

Web Breaker

dperry
03-11-2006, 01:49
The ATC employed ridgerunners in the Mid-Atlantic in NJ (3), Northern PA (1), Cumberland Valley (1), Michaux forest (1), Maryland (2), No. Virgina (1) and Shenendoah (1).

Wouldn't that be a valley-runner? Or a field-runner? :D

colbys
03-11-2006, 21:07
i applied to be a ridgerunner this season in virginia,i didnt get the job.from what i hear alot of people tend to re up in successive years.guess i wasnt qualified enough.wait till next year i guess.

The Desperado
03-12-2006, 00:18
Thet are paid in NJ also. I have known a few that were very dedicated ,hard working etc. But I have to agree with Digger 51 on this . They are not rangers in N J but sure often act like it and mostly are on ego & power trips! Their have been a few that were real good, but very few!

digger51
03-12-2006, 02:24
I had one a couple of years ago who insistd i shelter it in a SMNP shelter that was already over the capacity, but the night before let a young couple tent behind one that had only a few people so they could copulate. I guess they make up rules as they go along.

Lone Wolf
03-12-2006, 10:05
I knew a so-called ridge runner who loved to smoke other hiker's dope. You could do anything around him once you got him high. I say get rid of shelters and ridge runners. They really aren't needed.

Navigator
03-12-2006, 11:46
L.Wolf says to get rid of the shelters and ridgerunners...maybe he is right. abandon all trail maintenace and let the wilderness reclaim itself. once all the shelters are destroyed, the blazes removed, the treadway overgrown, road access gone , and all the hostels closed will it truly be a wilderness experience and a measure of your ability to thru-hike.

Dances with Mice
03-12-2006, 12:09
L.Wolf says to get rid of the shelters and ridgerunners...maybe he is right. abandon all trail maintenace and let the wilderness reclaim itself. once all the shelters are destroyed, the blazes removed, the treadway overgrown, road access gone , and all the hostels closed will it truly be a wilderness experience and a measure of your ability to thru-hike.And very soon Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap won't be the only building the Trail goes through.

drsukie
03-12-2006, 20:18

Nope - it's Glen, or Glenn...I haven't met the other fellow! Sue

Ridge
03-12-2006, 20:22
And very soon Mountain Crossing at Neels Gap won't be the only building the Trail goes through.

Wal-Mart if I had to make a guess.

briarpatch
03-12-2006, 21:06
Glenn is back this year as the GATC Ridgerunner, today was the beginning of his season. The "Gandalf looking fellow" is Roger, AKA "Many Sleeps". He's the Caretaker at Springer this year.

drsukie
03-16-2006, 00:34
Glenn is back this year as the GATC Ridgerunner, today was the beginning of his season. The "Gandalf looking fellow" is Roger, AKA "Many Sleeps". He's the Caretaker at Springer this year.

SO psyched - Glenn can never leave us, never never never never....

I am heading up this weekend for a weekend hike - any takers? :sun Sue

PS maybe I'll bring brownies (the legit kind) for the TH's.....

Dances with Mice
03-16-2006, 10:03
SO psyched - Glenn can never leave us, never never never never....I am heading up this weekend for a weekend hike - any takers? Damn, I had this weekend set aside join the GATC trail maintenance day this Saturday, bring my backpack along and spend the nite in the worksite area. Then another club I'm in chose this Saturday to redo our meeting room's floor at the Community Center in Lil' 5 Points. The floor is in much worse shape than the Trail and would get fewer volunteers to help so I'm afraid I'll be indoors downtown instead of outside in the hills. I've overscheduled my volunteer time again.

But if you run into the GATC crew give them the brownies! If the KonnaRockers are out there, and I'm not sure when the Krew arrives this year, they would REALLY appreciate surprise goodies. The thru-hikers I've seen starting don't need extra food, some look like they have enough to get past, I dunno - maybe Hot Springs or so - without resupply.

And if anybody lives on the south side of Atlanta, near Jonesboro or Griffin, this would be the weekend to head for the hills and get away from the Tara Blvd parking lot full of NASCAR fans.

Skidsteer
03-16-2006, 19:13
SO psyched - Glenn can never leave us, never never never never....

I am heading up this weekend for a weekend hike - any takers? :sun Sue

PS maybe I'll bring brownies (the legit kind) for the TH's.....

Planning on it. Which section are you hiking?

Mountain Man
03-16-2006, 19:54
Damn, I had this weekend set aside join the GATC trail maintenance day this Saturday, bring my backpack along and spend the nite in the worksite area. Then another club I'm in chose this Saturday to redo our meeting room's floor at the Community Center in Lil' 5 Points. The floor is in much worse shape than the Trail and would get fewer volunteers to help so I'm afraid I'll be indoors downtown instead of outside in the hills. I've overscheduled my volunteer time again.

But if you run into the GATC crew give them the brownies! If the KonnaRockers are out there, and I'm not sure when the Krew arrives this year, they would REALLY appreciate surprise goodies. The thru-hikers I've seen starting don't need extra food, some look like they have enough to get past, I dunno - maybe Hot Springs or so - without resupply.

And if anybody lives on the south side of Atlanta, near Jonesboro or Griffin, this would be the weekend to head for the hills and get away from the Tara Blvd parking lot full of NASCAR fans.

Yeah, bring them brownies on we'll be working on the trail between Neel's Gap and Hog Pen Gap. We'll be glad to help you out with them.:banana :banana :banana :banana

drsukie
03-17-2006, 18:12
Hate to be a bummer - but weekend plans have changed! As I write this, a carload of pals are coming to my little NoATL abode to surprise me (well, not a surprise any longer) for my birthday weekend.

If I can plead anyone into a dayhike tomorrow, we'll shoot for Neel's to Hogpen. Hate to see these clowns eat all the brownies without any work to show for it! :sun Sue

Have fun out there, it is going to be GORGEOUS!!!!