PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth

OutbackHack
03-08-2006, 14:59
Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail. Obviously, it's not really useful in the sense that you could use it for trip planning, but for someone interested in maps/GIS like myself, it's pretty cool to actually see the trail traversing the mountains and valleys. The screen shot I attached is for a section hike I'm planning next month.

Anyone else used Google Earth of any other software to do something similar?

rgarling
03-08-2006, 15:04
how do you get google to show the trail?

OutbackHack
03-08-2006, 15:13
There's probably an easier way, but at any rate what I did was this:

1. Download the AT GIS centerline data from the ATC:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm

2. Then imported that data into Microsoft Mappoint to produce a picture of the data. (There might be a way to skip this step and go straight to Google Earth, but I haven't figured it out yet)

3. Then overlayed that picture on Google Earth (Add - Image Overlay) and positioned and resized it so that it lined up correctly.

There are also some ways to share data with other people directly via Google Earth, but again, I haven't looked into that yet either.

OutbackHack
03-08-2006, 15:20
Another screenshot... doesn't really show anything different, just shows the horizon to give a better sense of perspective.

hammock engineer
03-08-2006, 15:51
The Problem with Google earth is the resolution of non-populated areas. The resolution is great for the city of Cincinnati (found out my neighbors had a pool), but poor for the small town my parents live in (could barely make out the whole town).

I think it would be great for some areas but bad for most of it. Just another fun thing to play with.

Chef2000
03-08-2006, 15:54
I think if you buy a google earth subscribtion you get better and more up to date photos. The one showing my house is from four years ago.

dje97001
03-08-2006, 15:55
Okay, here is another vantage point... maybe I should have put this under the "Are you sure you want to thru-hike the AT" thread.... Yikes!:eek:;)

http://www.ellishiking.com/pictures/maps/googleearth_AT.jpg

steveb88
03-08-2006, 16:12
You can also download place markers for the shelters with info about location, water and capacity, see the following link...

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showthreaded.php/Number/21124

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2006, 17:08
So am I looking at Pearisburg in those thumbnails or what?

rusty075
03-08-2006, 17:13
If you're familiar with javascript, you can use Google's public map API to make a web version of the trail.

That's what I did for my upcoming thru: Russ' At Progress map (http://arch-viz.com/hike/at.htm)

That way people who don't have Google Earth can follow along. With a little help from a support person it will be an interactive way of helping people visualize where I'm at, and where I've been.

Ender
03-08-2006, 17:17
What is Mappoint?

dje97001
03-08-2006, 17:18
Russ that is sweet! Are you updating it through a db or something along the way? Or do you have someone back home adding stuff?

Truly awesome stuff.

Rain Man
03-08-2006, 17:23
Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail....

I'm impressed!!!! Too bad Google Earth requires broadband and Windows XP, though.

Still, I love maps and have never been able to see where I've hiked from or am hiking to, on the ground, good enough for me. This would definitely help.

Rain:sunMan

rusty075
03-08-2006, 18:06
Russ that is sweet! Are you updating it through a db or something along the way? Or do you have someone back home adding stuff?

Truly awesome stuff.
Thanks Dje.

I've got someone back home that I've "trained" on how to update it. It's the same person that is transcribing my journal for posting. The updating isn't hard to do, it's just a couple of notepad edits to an xml file.

If anyone is intersted in a more thorough explanation, or a walk-through on how to set it up, let me know; I'd be happy to provide whatever support I can. A warning though: I'm no expert - this was my first crack at anything this complicated from a coding point of view. The data comes from the ATC, and most of the code I copy/pasted from online tutorials, so I have no feelings of ownership of any of it, and would be happy to help. (on the flip side: if anyone who really does know javascript/gmap api code wants to improve this and send it back to me, I'd be open to that too. :rolleyes: )

Skidsteer
03-08-2006, 19:43
Useful or not, that's very cool!:)

camich
03-08-2006, 19:51
Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I worked out a pretty easy way to use Google Earth to display a 3D projection of the trail. Obviously, it's not really useful in the sense that you could use it for trip planning, but for someone interested in maps/GIS like myself, it's pretty cool to actually see the trail traversing the mountains and valleys. The screen shot I attached is for a section hike I'm planning next month.

Anyone else used Google Earth of any other software to do something similar?

Very cool....Thanks!!!!:)

dixicritter
03-08-2006, 21:11
LOL.... that looks like something SGT Rock was playing around with on Google Earth. I can't remember if he drew in the trail or not, but I know there were "stick pins" all over the place...LOL.

Good Job! :)

bfitz
03-08-2006, 21:46
....Sweet!

Pennsylvania Rose
03-09-2006, 12:53
Very cool!!! I don't have the time to fool around with maps/GIS the way I'd like, but I spent several hours messing with Google Earth a few weeks ago and managed to find the Trail in GA. I can't wait to get home to be able to see all of the links you've posted (my computer @ work is old and slow). I did steal dje's picture for my background, though.

Disney
03-09-2006, 13:39
Rusty, that is possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen.

irritable_badger
03-09-2006, 14:05
There's probably an easier way, but at any rate what I did was this:

1. Download the AT GIS centerline data from the ATC:
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851255/k.4226/Appalachian_Trail_GIS_and_GPS_Data.htm

2. Then imported that data into Microsoft Mappoint to produce a picture of the data. (There might be a way to skip this step and go straight to Google Earth, but I haven't figured it out yet)

3. Then overlayed that picture on Google Earth (Add - Image Overlay) and positioned and resized it so that it lined up correctly.

There are also some ways to share data with other people directly via Google Earth, but again, I haven't looked into that yet either.

The subscription versions of Google Earth/Keyhole will allow you to skip the MapPoint step. At least the enterprise version will allow you to do so, just in case you wanted to know.

irritable_badger
03-09-2006, 14:09
What is Mappoint?

Official answer: The MapPoint System is an integrated set of products, servers, and services that helps businesses to improve their results by applying mapping and location. By enabling customers to locate and track key enterprise assets, as well as analyze geospatial data, the MapPoint System enables customers to increase revenue, reduce operational cost and complexity, and improve business decisions.

Practical answer: MapPoint lets you create maps based on lots of different variables, for instance a retail store could use their customer database to make a map of the area showing where their highest paying customer lived. This would allow them to increase marketing in/near those areas. It's basically an Excel spreadsheet that makes pretty pictures :)

gilmour14
03-09-2006, 15:48
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlfile2/Appalachian-Trail-and-Shelters.htm

Here you can download a Google Earth Addon for the AT and the Shelters along the AT. Just download the kmz file and open it in Google Earth.
If you're interested, there are a ton of other hacks on that website - http://www.googleearthhacks.com

orangebug
03-09-2006, 16:23
Amazingly cool stuff. This thread shows what makes WB great.

SGTdirtman
03-09-2006, 18:59
http://www.googleearthhacks.com/dlfile2/Appalachian-Trail-and-Shelters.htm

Here you can download a Google Earth Addon for the AT and the Shelters along the AT. Just download the kmz file and open it in Google Earth.
If you're interested, there are a ton of other hacks on that website - http://www.googleearthhacks.com

This is pretty darn cool... 2 problems are that they raised the "line" that follows the trail so its hard to tilt and see the terrain the trail follows. and google earth doesnt seem capable of calculating anything but aerial miles, you can plot the distances between points on the trail but it doesnt adjust the mileage for the elevation difference.

outbackhacks method uses a flat line that makes it easier to see how the trail goes up and down the moutain. still doesnt seem possible to plot exact distance without putting in your own numbers from more accurate trail maps.

dperry
03-11-2006, 02:18
a. Starting at about 40° 9'3.29"N, 77° 7'21.94"W, you can pretty clearly see the path the trail takes across the Cumberland Valley. Pulling back to about 38,000 feet will give you a good bird's eye view of most of it. The bridge over US 11 is quite visible at 40°13'58.40"N, 77° 6'32.01"W.

b. Also, the entire Pochuck boardwalk can be quite easily traced, beginning at the crosswalk at 41°14'8.75"N, 74°28'49.66"W. The suspension bridge is at 41°14'6.08"N, 74°28'18.82"W.

eyewall
03-11-2006, 02:36
NASA has very similar software called World Wind or similar. It'll run on a Linux or Mac. Needs DirectX and .NET. It already has the AT mapped out.