PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Trekking Poles

gpburdelljr
10-20-2019, 14:30
Why are the adjustment straps of a pair of Black Diamond trekking poles marked L and R, for Left and Right? There is no difference in the two poles. There is no difference in the way I use a pole in my left hand, or right hand.

JNI64
10-20-2019, 14:42
I think it's because of the adjustment clips not getting caught on something and opening therefore collapsing your trekking pole

gpburdelljr
10-20-2019, 15:01
I think it's because of the adjustment clips not getting caught on something and opening therefore collapsing your trekking pole

Nope. The two poles are identical with no difference in the adjustment clips. If the adjustment straps weren’t marked L and R you couldn’t tell any difference in the two poles.

jefals
10-20-2019, 15:13
The Lekis have the same marking. On the Lekis at least, the stiching in the strap for the left pole, goes around to the left, and goes around to the right on the right pole.
I'm sure it makes some difference if you use the correct pole in the correct hand -- but I couldn't tell you what that difference is. Still, I do it the right way. Although I have no idea why! :)

OwenM
10-20-2019, 15:35
Poles are the same. Straps are L and R handed. It's mostly at the thumb. The wrong one twists the little bare section of strap under your thumb, while the right one keeps the strap straight, and a piece of padding under the thumb. The problem is that it's hard to see the L and R, and a pain to have to look, or trial and error it, every time you pick up the poles. I replaced an older silver set of Black Diamonds with a newer black set after losing one down a waterfall that goes underground. So I put the silver bottom section from the remaining one on the Left pole. I'd put a piece of colored or reflective tape on one or the other if I hadn't had that extra section to use.

Hikingjim
10-20-2019, 19:20
Yes, they are marked for the straps. I use the straps fairly often, and it matters for that
I agree that it is annoying to look for the L/R on the strap (mine are also faded badly at this point), so I also have a piece of tape on there to easily differentiate

jefals
10-20-2019, 19:21
with the Lekis, a quick glance at the stitching tells me which is which...