PDA

View Full Version : Trailrunner Runthrough...

RagingHampster
02-15-2003, 19:16
Ok I'm looking at getting my spring footwear. Last spring I wore 4lb 2oz Vasque Clarions (adjusted for size 13) with my 40lb pack. This year I'm going trailrunners with my 12+lb pack. I was going to go with a Gore-TEX membraned trailrunner, but I'm going to just skip the membrane and go ultra-breatheable, quick-dry trailrunners.

As of now my list contains the following 3 options...

Montrail Vitesse
Montrail Diablo
Salomon X-A Pro

Anyone use these or have suggestions?

ganj
02-15-2003, 20:18
Raging Hampster,

I don't know anything about those particular brands. But I can recommend Merrell's Chameleon Ventilator Lows (expect 500 miles or so from them.) that come with a knobby Vibram sole or Five-Ten has a new trailrunner this year with the Stealth Rubber sole.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 09:20
My current winter boots are Merrell Winterras. The toebox is a little too small for me (and by a little I mean just a little), but due to the insulation, I compress it slightly and my toes fit fine with no hotspots. I tried on the Gore-Tex Membraned version of the Merrell Chameleon, and had the same problem, only it was even tighter, and I think I would develop hotspots. I checked out the Five-Ten runners on their website, and would like to know more about them.

I really like the lacing design and mesh uppers of the XA-Pro, but I'm nervous about it's durability. It seems to be the ideal shoe, providing highly customized non-absorbant onepull lacing & the ultimate in breatheability next to sandals, but I wonder how long it would last being beaten on my Thru-Hikes this Summer/Fall. It's reviews say there is almost 0 side protection, and you have to hike like your wearing sandals.

The Vitesse is an industry standard trail runner used by many long-distance hikers/runners, including single-year triple-crown hiker Brian Robinson. Just the reviews & users alone have influenced me, in addition to the numbers. I've tried them on, and they are comfortable.

The Diablo is very similar to the Vitesse, with wider beefier rubber, a little less padding, stronger sole, and an ounce less. Not much info on it though because everyone seems to buy up the Vitesse. They seem to have some features that would make hiking on the east coast better than with the Vitesse though.

My mind is going into overload comparing them.

Blue Jay
02-16-2003, 15:08
Don't worry too much. I have used both Montrails you mentioned, the Salomon andthe Merrill that Ganj mentioned and liked all of them. There is sooo much competition in this area of footware, they all have to be competative. Just go with what feels the best on your feet.

tlbj6142
02-16-2003, 15:40
What sort of socks are you using? Are you using liners as well? My current boots are on their last leg, so I'm about to buy new boots/shoes.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 17:03
I use Smartwool medium weights, even in the summer. I find that they breathe extremely well, provide warmth when cold, and keep your feet cool when it's hot. They also don't turn into sticky leather after a couple days of use. And they dry in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm still considering some type lightweight sandals to bring as well.

RagingHampster
02-16-2003, 17:38
Well I just found the Soloman XA Pro's on sale at MooseJaw for $72, so I ordered them. I really like the lacing system, and layered mesh uppers. The toe is all rubber for protection and keeping dew soaking your feet in the morning (or atleast cuts it down some).

I am worried about the durability, so I'm going to do some serious beatings to test them before heading out on my multi-week trips.

chris
02-17-2003, 10:55
I have found that just a thin pair of running socks works very well with trail runners. These socks are less durable than standard hiking socks, but at about $3 a pair, it doesn't really matter. I used a pair of Salomon Raidsport shoes last summer and liked them. Traction was good, but the toe box was a tad narrow for me. I also got blisters on the bottoms of both feet. Tough shoes, with no discernable wear on the outside. But, after 450 or so miles of hiking, it was time for a new pair.

Happy
02-17-2003, 11:49
I am also looking for a new pair on trailrunners and considering the Gor-tex membrane, Montrail Huricane Ridge...but it seems to me they would not breath well and would be slower to dry.

Any experience on these or the Montrail Vitesse I am now considering buying. Also, I have been told to always buy a 1/2 size larger? I did this in my NB 804's and walked down the incline in the shoe store to make sure this did not pinch the front of my toes on the downhills and they have worked great since.

Another experienced hiker next to me told me to go a full size larger but this seems excessive....any experience?

:confused:

gravityman
02-17-2003, 12:26
I don't know about those "1/2 size larger" or "two fingers behind the heel" fitting techniques. I buy what fits, especially with running shoes. The running shoes tend to have a lot more give than boots anyways. It's probably good advise to try on shoes after you've been on your feet all day. That should help with making sure your feet are properly swollen. But if you buy big, your heal will slip, and you will get blisters there...

You'll figure out what you want on trail. Once you find a pair of shoes and a size that works for you, you'll do just about anything to get them again :)

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
02-17-2003, 22:29
I second Mr. Hampsters regard for Smart Wool Socks. They perform as well as any sock and last almost twice as long. You should get at least 500 miles on the Salomons, unless you are in the Whites or Southern Maine. Trail Runners of any brand die quickly there, but I would never haul a boot up those mountains. The only weak point on the Huricane Ridge is the two small fabric points near the toe. Rocks wear them through, but they stay waterproof until the second layer wears through. I find they breathe better and give the best traction than other GorTex Runner or boot.

Rick Hancock
08-06-2007, 15:51
I've used several brands of trail runners, Montrail Hardrocks and Vasque Velocity are my 2 favorites. I've recently moved away from the Hardrocks as they changed the style (thicker tongue thicker heel padding) and I don't like the feel. Too many companies only offer Med fit, I wear a 91/2 or 10 wide. Also try the various models by Columbia not very expensive and tons of support

wilconow
08-06-2007, 16:05
I've used several brands of trail runners, Montrail Hardrocks and Vasque Velocity are my 2 favorites. I've recently moved away from the Hardrocks as they changed the style (thicker tongue thicker heel padding) and I don't like the feel. Too many companies only offer Med fit, I wear a 91/2 or 10 wide. Also try the various models by Columbia not very expensive and tons of support

I bought my third pair of Hardrocks this past March and found them to be a different fit than my first two. I e-mailed Montrail and they said that they haven't changed the design in years. Don't believe them though.

twosticks
08-06-2007, 16:10
Well I just found the Soloman XA Pro's on sale at MooseJaw for $72, so I ordered them. I really like the lacing system, and layered mesh uppers. The toe is all rubber for protection and keeping dew soaking your feet in the morning (or atleast cuts it down some).

I am worried about the durability, so I'm going to do some serious beatings to test them before heading out on my multi-week trips.

Hampster,
I've used both the XA Pro goretex and the regular XA Pro. The non-gore are def. more breathable but both are awesome shoes. I have a 10 1/2 EEE with flat feet and I've put a ton of miles on both and I'm stiull smiling about it. One thing to watch out for, the hard plastic things that hold the laces break easily. Easy to fix, but still a pain. I just picked up a pair of the reg XA Pro's for 65 at some little outfitter in St. Joviet. Great shoes.

Time To Fly 97
08-06-2007, 16:16
I love the Merrill Pulse II low. They seem more durable, than my Vasque medium boots and seem to provide more support in the arch and heels (I workout with a 90# pack). They also wick water out at a surprisingly fast rate if you end up hiking in heavy rain. I've beat the crap out mine and wear like they are new.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Rick Hancock
08-06-2007, 17:36
Amen, Wilconow! I know for a fact that the Montrail shoe style changed as I was holding both in my hand while talking to a Montrail rep and explaining the difference. If I find something that works I buy 3-5 of them, my wife thinks I'm nuts but I know better.Rick

Jim Adams
08-06-2007, 17:53
used the xa pros for a while now. you will love them. they are as comfortable as bedroom slippers. expect 500-700miles from them. they won't look very worn but you will notice the support breaking down at those miles.

geek

bigcranky
08-06-2007, 20:22
The XA Pros have a fairly high Achilles notch, and I had some problems with it on my March section. Until then I had been very happy with my XA Comps, which are a similar shoe with a slightly softer midsole and lower Achilles notch (but I wanted Goretex for winter hiking, and could only find the Pro in the XCR version). The only issue I had with the Comps was that the mesh came apart where it was attached to the rubber toe rand. This happened to three pairs in a row, after what I thought was pretty light use (less than 250 miles).

I've also used the Vitesse and the Hurricane Ridge from Montrail. Fine shoes, but I finally decided that the Montrail last didn't really fit my feet. Most recently I tried on the New Balance 810's, and they are absolutely perfect in every way. Just goes to show that fit is individual.

wilconow
08-06-2007, 22:33
Amen, Wilconow! I know for a fact that the Montrail shoe style changed as I was holding both in my hand while talking to a Montrail rep and explaining the difference. If I find something that works I buy 3-5 of them, my wife thinks I'm nuts but I know better.Rick

I wonder if it has to do with them being bought by Columbia. But why can't they just be honest about it???? If anyone finds a place online where they have the old hardrock models, please share!! I'll buy 5 of them!!

wilconow
08-07-2007, 11:34
While browsing Zappos.com, I just stumbled upon a pair of Ecco's that I will probably take a chance on.

I've two pairs of Eccos that I wear to work.. one fancy, one casual. They're so comfortable. Didn't know that they made athletic shoes.

This one seems to have everything I'm looking for (motion control, wide fit)

http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/performance/mens/running/rxp-6010/772/detail.aspx

JAK
08-07-2007, 11:57
What is the lightest trailrunner or running shoe when weighed soaking wet?

Rick Hancock
08-07-2007, 16:49
Wilconow, It is next to impossible to find the old style. I have explored 40/50 web sites (Sierra Trading Post, Rock Creek, C&C Outdoors, Moosejaw, Shoe Buy) I've called East/West, North/South, even had Backpacking Light check a few hidden spots, no luck. The model you are after is 2004/2005 it has a thinner tongue, less heel padding, and a light grey interior. New model is dark grey interior. I thought I'd found them at Dom's Outdoor Gear, the web site photo showed the older model but they sent 2 pairs of the newer, I sent them back and requested free return shipping which they would not provide (they claimed I was mistaken). Sorry to say I don't believe you will find them anywhere. My local hike shop, Blue Ridge Mt Sports, spent 1/2 a day trying to find them for me. Try the Vasque Velocity, good support, heavy duty, not heavy weight, and they come in different widths also Goretex which I don't really like. Vasque Dealer (Red Wing?) carries them. One last thought, keep emailing Montrail, the Hardrock is a popular model and if enough people complain they may see the light. I emailed them about offering a size wide in more models.Rick

wilconow
08-08-2007, 10:29
Rick, thanks for the advice. You're one of the few who understands how important this is to me! I will email montrail again.

Funny what you say about finding the old style. I'm assuming that if a place has the midnight gray (attached below), then it's the old style. Throw in the fact that I wear a 12.5, and it makes having to crawl all over the web. I actually did find a place that had one pair left last night. If it indeed turns out that it's the old fit, I will scour the web and buy any remaining 12.5 I find

this is the place I found
http://www.northernlightstrading.com

Campmor has a lot of midnight gray in stock, but not in 12.5

I am making the assumption that the midnight gray is the old style, since thats the color I used to have, and it doesnt seem to be available anymore. They just have that light gray now

Thanks again. I will try out the Vasques if this doesnt work out. Got a pair of Montrail Contiental Divide but they didnt feel right. I will keep on emailing montrail. Another thing, I have a pair of Asics Gel Evolution rpad running shoes I adore, but they have very little support and Asics told me they dont make a comparable trail runner

Mags
08-08-2007, 11:09
Rick, thanks for the advice. You're one of the few who understands how important this is to me! I will email montrail again.

I hate when companies change shoes. Arggh! I have the new montrails anda pair of old ones I bought on clearence (still have not used). The new Montrail hardrocks definitely feel different. They have lasted though.

Once the old-style Montrails wear out, I'll probably try a different shoe. I bought some Salamons in Dubois, WY that lasted all the way to the Indian Peaks (outside of Boulder). Naturally, I don't remember the model. :O

Rick Hancock
08-08-2007, 11:41
Wilconow, Forgot to mention, when you contact NothernLightsTrading be sure to ask if the Montrail name and logo on the back and sides is white or yellow. The old style is yellow, and the color name on my box is Midnight/Grey. I went to the web site and there are 2 models the wide model in the picture to the right $59.00 has the light grey interior which would be the older model however I can't see the side of the shoe. Before you order give them a call they have a no return (exchange/store credit only) policy. The other picture is the newer style (notice dark grey interior) offered in regular fit. Good luck and let me know what you find out. [email protected]

wilconow
08-08-2007, 11:57
Rick, thanks again! I just called and they said it was yellow lettering. Very good customer service, the guy had to call the warehouse and did it without hestitation even with my ridiculous question about the color of the lettering.

I told him to ship them. Looking forward to getting them and slipping them on.

Even if they turn out alright, I'm still mad at Montrail. I think it probably has to do with Columbia buying them out

wilconow
08-08-2007, 11:58
I hate when companies change shoes. Arggh! I have the new montrails anda pair of old ones I bought on clearence (still have not used). The new Montrail hardrocks definitely feel different. They have lasted though.

Once the old-style Montrails wear out, I'll probably try a different shoe. I bought some Salamons in Dubois, WY that lasted all the way to the Indian Peaks (outside of Boulder). Naturally, I don't remember the model. :O

Thanks Mags. It's nice to know someone else finds the newer Hardrocks to fit differently.

Rick Hancock
08-15-2007, 09:21
Wilconow, Let me know when the Hardrocks arrive. I'm thinking about ordering a few pairs myself. Hope they are indeed the proper model. I know my info to you was accurate.Rick

TwoForty
08-16-2007, 00:25
I just used the XA-Pro 3d for 300 miles on the pct.
The fit was wonderfull for me. The lacing system and the mesh above the toes help up great. Really, they show no wear at all.
However, the soles are not sticky. To make matters worse, they wear down really quickly. I busted my ass several times on rocks my old Vibram boots would have stuck to.

wilconow
08-16-2007, 22:09
Wilconow, Let me know when the Hardrocks arrive. I'm thinking about ordering a few pairs myself. Hope they are indeed the proper model. I know my info to you was accurate.Rick

Rick,

Even though the rep told me that it had yellow lettering on the back and sides, they were the white letterings. tried them on and they didn't feel right. They do let you return them. Going to have to move on from Montrail

Good luck, and thanks for your help

damush
08-17-2007, 20:31
The XA Pros have a fairly high Achilles notch, and I had some problems with it on my March section. Until then I had been very happy with my XA Comps, which are a similar shoe with a slightly softer midsole and lower Achilles notch (but I wanted Goretex for winter hiking, and could only find the Pro in the XCR version). The only issue I had with the Comps was that the mesh came apart where it was attached to the rubber toe rand. This happened to three pairs in a row, after what I thought was pretty light use (less than 250 miles).

I've also used the Vitesse and the Hurricane Ridge from Montrail. Fine shoes, but I finally decided that the Montrail last didn't really fit my feet. Most recently I tried on the New Balance 810's, and they are absolutely perfect in every way. Just goes to show that fit is individual.

****! i just picked up some 809's thinking they were spiffy...i wear 975's around town but wouldn't trust them on any off-road adventure, they've got pass through ventilation in the sole... i'd like to hear more about the front of the shoe performance on those 810's- is the cushioning adequate for 15+ mi. days?

Rick Hancock
08-29-2007, 18:29
Just ordered 3 pair of 10 wide montrails from Northern Lights Trading. All 3 pair were correct model. If you call back ask for Matt, Jamie, or Marty. All 3 were great to work with, Matt is a thru-hiker. If you spoke to someone else that may have been the problem or it could be the larger size, I think you said you wear a size 12. Anyway, thanks for the web site info it got me what I wanted and at a low cost $59.00 per pair. Try them one more time and ask for one of the above people. Good luck.Rick