PDA

View Full Version : cooking pasta and draining the water

DavidNH
03-08-2006, 20:45
Ok lotsa pasta recipees call for adding to boiling water, cooking then draining the pasta. Examples mac and cheese, toretlini etc.

Question is.. what to do with the extra water? I would think that just tossing the water out in the woods (the logical thing when one has to drain the pasta) is not exactly good LNT principles. And I have only one pot.

Do you folks just eat the pasta in the soup then use remaining soupy water for someting else? what do you folks do?

David

Hammock Hanger
03-08-2006, 20:46
Try equal parts pasta & water, it shouldn't be soupy.

Lone Wolf
03-08-2006, 20:49
Pretty simple. Boil the pasta and use the lid to drain the water while holding back the pasta.

Kevin A. Boyce
03-08-2006, 20:53
If you have a cup or bottle, pour the water in it and use it for something like cup of soup or a drink of some sort. Yeah, if the pasta is flavored it may make for some funky tasting drink, but it is better then wasting the water if you do not have to. Think about having to haul water to someplace in the heat of summer, I want to make sure I use every drop... if there has to be a reason to lug it, you might as well make sure you use it! :)

Catch you later...
KevBoy

Rendezvous01
03-08-2006, 21:04
Most people on the Trail cook their pasta the same way as rice: start with the right amount of water, bring water to a boil, add pasta (and sauce mix, if directions call for it), return to boil, then remove from heat and let it cook and cool to eating temp at the same time. You will quickly learn the right amount of water. If you have too much water, just call it soup. And soup is easier to clean out of your pot than cheese sauce.

Panzer1
03-08-2006, 21:07
I don't pour the water out near the shelter as the smell can be expected to draw animals plus it is not considered good form. But if there is a camp fire going you can pour what little water that is left into the fire to get rid of it.

Another option I have used in the past is to stop and make dinner before reaching the shelter (or campsite) and then just pour the excess water out on the ground right there where it won't matter if animals are attracted. I also do this with the "tunafish water" as the tunafish water smells so much, we don't want to pour that out around the shelter.

Panzer

weary
03-08-2006, 21:12
Ok lotsa pasta recipees call for adding to boiling water, cooking then draining the pasta. Examples mac and cheese, toretlini etc.
Question is.. what to do with the extra water? I would think that just tossing the water out in the woods (the logical thing when one has to drain the pasta) is not exactly good LNT principles. And I have only one pot.
Do you folks just eat the pasta in the soup then use remaining soupy water for someting else? what do you folks do? David
The basic formula for all pastas, rice, oatmeal and other commonly dry stuff is two parts water, one part rice, pasta, whatever.

i.e. don't drain such stuff. Just bring to a boil, reduce heat but keep to a boil, and keep simmering until the stuff, whatever it is, is cooked sufficiently for you to eat same.

Weary

Fiddler
03-08-2006, 22:22
Drink it. It has some starches (from the pasta) and some, maybe not much, vitamins in it. It's just that much less of your fresh water you have to drink. Drink the water, eat the pasta, give a good big burp, and relax.

weary
03-08-2006, 22:35
Drink it. It has some starches (from the pasta) and some, maybe not much, vitamins in it. It's just that much less of your fresh water you have to drink. Drink the water, eat the pasta, give a good big burp, and relax.
Well, drink the water if you want. Having once accidentally dumped out a couple of pounds of pasta at Gulf Hagas trying to drain it, I've since used just the amount of water needed to cook the pasta, thus avoiding the draining process.

Weary

Sleepy the Arab
03-08-2006, 23:42
I dehydrated spaghetti sauce prior to heading out on the trail. The excess water is not drained but rather used to rehydrate the sauce. It's a handy trick that's worked out for the most part, however, it does take a while to rehydrate (roughly 5-7 minutes).

I don't recommend using the pasta-water for cocoa, coffee or tea though, unless you have a particularly masochistic sense of taste.

Crash
03-09-2006, 12:22
I boil the water then put in the pasta and dried tomato soup- no wasting the water.

Ender
03-09-2006, 12:28
I got so I could judge exactly how much water to put into the pot so it would absorb it all and leave none left to drain out.

Even so, would worry about draining the water. It's just water with starches. Not bad for the environment.

max patch
03-09-2006, 12:32
I think you will find that if you cook liptons rice and pasta dinners you won't have any leftover water to dispose of. Same with oatmeal.

But if you cook spaghetti or noodles for mac and cheese then you will have leftover water. Just dispose of it at the same place you are going to spit out your toothpaste or take a leak at 3:00 am.

the goat
03-09-2006, 14:26
if you add some instant potatoes, they will soak all that water up for you.

lbbrown
03-09-2006, 15:23
I don't pour the water out near the shelter as the smell can be expected to draw animals plus it is not considered good form. But if there is a camp fire going you can pour what little water that is left into the fire to get rid of it.

Another option I have used in the past is to stop and make dinner before reaching the shelter (or campsite) and then just pour the excess water out on the ground right there where it won't matter if animals are attracted. I also do this with the "tunafish water" as the tunafish water smells so much, we don't want to pour that out around the shelter.

Panzer
YOU DID WHAT????????? DUMPED TUNAFISH WATER ON THE GROUND?

I'm going to get on my cell phone and report you to the proper authorities!

Hey Panzer- good seeing you at the Doyle. I think there were 4 Philly Hikerz there that weekend.

Peaks
03-09-2006, 18:22
When cooking pasta (not liptons), I usually boil excess water, and then drain it away from the shelter and water supply.

Jack Tarlin
03-09-2006, 18:27
1. Drink it.
2. Or toss it, tho do so aways from your tent, campsite, or shelter. You can
also leave the water in the pot til it's time to clean the pot, as cleaning
is easier if you use warm water. Wipe the pot clean/dry with a clean
(or semi-clean) bandana when you're done.
3. After a few tries, you'll figure out how much water you need for proper
cooking, and in alikelihood, there won't be that much to toss out anyway.

Cosmo
03-09-2006, 21:05
Some campsites in NE have sumps (wash pits) to dump the water into. They are primarily rock lined/filled holes in the ground covered w/ window screen. Intended to strain food scraps out of dish wash water so the food can be packed out or burnt. They also serve as a reasonable place to spit your toothpaste (if you use it), and dump your pasta water (if you have any). Smelly stuff is concentrated, helping to keep the area pleasant and the critters at bay.

Cosmo

weary
03-09-2006, 22:56
1. Drink it.
2. Or toss it, tho do so aways from your tent, campsite, or shelter. You can
also leave the water in the pot til it's time to clean the pot, as cleaning
is easier if you use warm water. Wipe the pot clean/dry with a clean
(or semi-clean) bandana when you're done.
3. After a few tries, you'll figure out how much water you need for proper
cooking, and in alikelihood, there won't be that much to toss out anyway.
It's hard to measure a cup of spaghetti. But for most other small pasta just add two parts water to one part pasta. Works also with rice, oatmeal and similar dry stuff.

The formula is not exact. But it's good enough for trail work, and far better than guessing. It breaks down mostly for stuff labeled "instant," which requires somewhat less water.

Weary

Tin Man
03-10-2006, 00:40
After spilling half a pot of pasta and getting grief ever since, I think the best approach is to let my brother do the cooking. Then I could tell him to quit using so much water when he spills the pot!