PDA

View Full Version : How's Rusty's Hardtime Hollow

lobster
03-08-2006, 21:54
these days?

Does the allure to stop there still exist?

weary
03-08-2006, 23:21
these days?

Does the allure to stop there still exist?
I sort of hope so. Rusty is an interesting (strange, complicated?) guy. But he ran by far the most interesting hostel of the many, many I stayed at in 1993. I hope he remains open and that the free-loaders who took advantage of his largess stay away.

Weary

lobster
03-09-2006, 00:13
I only stayed there for 12 days.

neo
03-09-2006, 00:18
I sort of hope so. Rusty is an interesting (strange, complicated?) guy. But he ran by far the most interesting hostel of the many, many I stayed at in 1993. I hope he remains open and that the free-loaders who took advantage of his largess stay away.

Weary

i stayed there oct 2002,rusty is a great guy,but to many free loader take advantage of him,he makes great pancakes,i still have a rustys hard time hollow t shirt:cool: neo

weary
03-09-2006, 09:03
i stayed there oct 2002,rusty is a great guy,but to many free loader take advantage of him,he makes great pancakes,i still have a rustys hard time hollow t shirt:cool: neo
As do I, and it will last forever unless I can lose some weight!

colbys
03-11-2006, 21:20
stayed at rustys for one night in 95'.wild time,i didnt drink back then but alot of other people did and at 3am in the mornning they were all howling at the moon and dancing on top of the bunkhouse.
still enjoyed it though.do they still drink the soda and then you have to hit the empty can with a wiffle ball bat?

Lone Wolf
03-12-2006, 10:25
"Freeloading" works both way. Caveat emptor. Things ain't what they seem.

cloudparty
03-27-2006, 00:33
I only stayed there for 12 days.

I was there for about a week in '91...mind you, part of that time was dealing with a kidney stone. I'm glad it happened at Maupin Field Shelter so that Rusty and friends could save me! :)

I was just down to see him last week. He now has electricity...and the frisbee golf course is a nice new touch. He recently hurt his leg--he should really see a doctor. But the same old Rusty. Hadn't seen him in 15 years!

--Jim (Tigger '91)

neo
03-27-2006, 01:52
I was there for about a week in '91...mind you, part of that time was dealing with a kidney stone. I'm glad it happened at Maupin Field Shelter so that Rusty and friends could save me! :)

I was just down to see him last week. He now has electricity...and the frisbee golf course is a nice new touch. He recently hurt his leg--he should really see a doctor. But the same old Rusty. Hadn't seen him in 15 years!

--Jim (Tigger '91)

your kidding electricity now:cool: neo

weary
03-27-2006, 11:25
your kidding electricity now:cool: neo
I first thought, "how sad. The Hard Time Hollow with electricity." In '93 it was like going to an earlier era. Butter, watermellons and beer in the cold spring house.

But then I remembered how stranded I felt last week when my electricity was off for four hours. Rusty has as much right to electricity as the rest of us.

Weary

Low Rider
12-23-2007, 19:24
Hey everyone! I just talked to Rusty last week and he is definitely open for the 2008 season and thereafter. I thruhiked back in ‘93 and have been friends with him ever since. I try to visit as often as I can but that usually winds up being just a couple times a year.

He first started taking in hikers back in 1982 and has had over 10,000 stop in during their hikes since then. He is one of the, if not the, oldest hostel on the AT still operating. He is in his late 60’s now and it is getting harder for him each year to get all the chores done around the place (if you can pitch in while you are there, it is definitely appreciated!). There have been changes over the years including getting electricity and a telephone, but it is still the same old Hard Time Hollow that you remember (believe me, it is good that he has those things now that he is getting older).

He is a one of a kind and the Hollow is truly a unique place not to be missed. Waynesboro is pretty much like any other big trail town if you need to stop there too (I went to both). And yes, he still takes a Polaroid of each thruhiker that stops in. He still has the photos from all the previous years up on the ceiling or in photo albums, so check ‘em out when you stop by. His driveway comes down off the Blue Ridge Parkway in between mileposts 16 and 17 (mile post 16.7 if it existed :)) Enjoy reading the dozens of funny signs posted on trees while walking down the driveway! happy hiking!!!!

Oteast
06-15-2011, 03:01
The Hollow was unique. I remember the "aluminum driveway", the truck blaring James rown, the springhouse full of beer cans floating in the pool, the awesome library with books on Oriental Ornamental horticulture and nuclear physics. Most of all I remembered how he really helped me after my pack frame blew out on The Priest....Very interesting guy. Still have the grey tee shirt, someone in Honolulu knew of the Hollow when I was riding the bus there some years ago.

Marta
06-15-2011, 18:30
I went by the entrance to Rusty's on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. There was a for sale sign: $950,000.

Lord Helment
06-15-2011, 18:48
marta did you make them an offer?

Carl in FL
06-15-2011, 19:11
It's amazing what a little electricity will do for the real estate value...

Sheesh.

Red Hat
06-15-2011, 20:09
As I understand, the local regulations call for 25 acres to build improvements. He has 16 acres. Seems doubtful anyone would pay that kind of money, even on the Blue Ridge, for property with no chance of building.

weary
06-15-2011, 23:27
I went by the entrance to Rusty's on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week. There was a for sale sign: $950,000.
Marta:
Is there a land trust in the area. If so, some one should alert them. I'm too far away -- and too old -- to help. But I've spent most of the past two decades creating land trusts and making them work.

We have a small window of time to provide buffers to the trail. Once prosperity returns. And it will. Rusty's, though it is not directly on the trail, is near enough to be a valuable buffer for both the trail and the parkway.

Weary