PDA

View Full Version : Cats in Hostels

SkeeterPee
11-01-2019, 23:51
Planning a through hike next year and wonder how often I will encounter cats inside hostels. Cat allergies are very common so I am surprised hostel owners would have cats inside of rooms/common areas they rent out. I encountered this this past weekend.

How common is this? Fortunately (for me) I am not allergic to dogs so cats are my only concern.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2019, 09:00
don't stay at Kincora hostel

ldsailor
11-02-2019, 10:52
In all the hostels I stayed at on the AT, I can't remember seeing one cat; although it is likely I missed a few. I don't think it should be a big problem.

RangerZ
11-02-2019, 12:15
don't stay at Kincora hostel

I got the treehouse so it wasn’t a problem. :banana

Lugnut
11-02-2019, 13:01
Loki stayed with me one night in the tree house.

Dogwood
11-02-2019, 13:26
Emotional support cats are a necessity to some. :D

Puddlefish
11-02-2019, 14:41
I'm strongly allergic to cats, after an hour or two my throat starts swelling shut. I didn't have any problems at the southern hostels, even ones with cats. Generally, there's enough open doors, and fresh air that any dander doesn't really collect, plus you're sleeping on a bunk with your own bedding for the most part. I've had more cat related problems at B&Bs, where they tend to let their cats roam through the house and camp out in guest rooms. I've since learned to ask about cats when making reservations at such places.

I was more annoyed at that those few hostels with surprise fricking roosters. For a city boy such as myself, I was not pleased to be woken up randomly from 1:00 a.m. onwards.

Christoph
11-03-2019, 09:29
Just passed through Uncle Johnny's in Erwin, Tn last month and I saw there were a few allowed to roam ON the outside tables and heard one hiker had a cat try to get in his tent (not sure the validity on that one, I didn't see it), but there were a few around anyway.

Teacher & Snacktime
11-07-2019, 20:06
In all the hostels I stayed at on the AT, I can't remember seeing one cat; although it is likely I missed a few. I don't think it should be a big problem.

Unfortunately you'll usually smell them before you see them.

Crushed Grapes
11-08-2019, 00:56
The only cat we encountered was Peaches at Standing Bear Farm. Best bunkmate ever :)

Traveler
11-08-2019, 10:19
Emotional support cats are a necessity to some. :D

And food for others......