PDA

View Full Version : doll flats

shades of blue
03-09-2006, 09:13
I'm wanting to do an overnighter at doll flats, then hike up to Hump Mt. and back. The map has some sort of dirt road going pretty close to doll flats. It starts out on US 19E then shell creek road. After that it looks like it goes all the way to doll flats. Has anyone gone this direction? Are there any parking spots...and how close to doll flats should/can you park? Also, what condition is the road in? Is it even open? I should have 3 1/2 hours once I leave before it gets dark, and it's around a 2 1/2 hour drive.

Groucho
03-09-2006, 13:21
I'm wanting to do an overnighter at doll flats, then hike up to Hump Mt. and back. The map has some sort of dirt road going pretty close to doll flats. It starts out on US 19E then shell creek road. After that it looks like it goes all the way to doll flats. Has anyone gone this direction? Are there any parking spots...and how close to doll flats should/can you park? Also, what condition is the road in? Is it even open? I should have 3 1/2 hours once I leave before it gets dark, and it's around a 2 1/2 hour drive.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but my Streets indicates that it is 55 mi. and 1 hour 25 min. to Roan Mt., which is a little further on 19E than Elk Park.

When I was through there several years ago there was a school group climbing on the rocks and playing at the Flats, causing me to miss the blaze for the turn; I plowed straight ahead on the road for about 200 yds. before I realized my error. The rain had just started and I took a break under a rock overhang. The kids and teachers came by on their way to the buses. It was only a few minutes until starting engines were heard. So, yes, there is parking. I don't know if they had to unlock a gate to get to where they parked or if they could have driven all the way to the Flats. Also, the trail has been rerouted in that area; I worked for a day on it, but I believe that the reroute was after the Flats as you travel N on the trail.

You might contact Bob Peoples at Kincorra or perhaps Warren Doyle might know more.

You are aware that there have been problems with vandalism of cars in this area?

Happy Trails!

shades of blue
03-09-2006, 14:19
I PM'd Warren Doyle...forgot about his living in the shadow of hump mountain. Also...I know it isn't quite 2 1/2 hours to that part of 19E, but I was unsure about how much time I would spend on the backroads and trying to find my way. I'll be taking my old beat up jeep, so I'm not too worried about vandals (famous last words), but wasn't most of the vandalism done on 19E? Anyway...thanks for the info.

shades of blue
03-11-2006, 19:23
The road (Shell creek rd) that turns into a gravel road and goes to doll flats is posted with no trespassing signs. I went instead to the overmountain shelter and hiked to Hump Mt. from there. Great night and then a great hike the next day.
Thanks Groucho for your help.
Shades

Sly
03-11-2006, 19:38
Doll Flats is only 3 mi. from 19E. It may be easier to walk it!

Sly
03-11-2006, 19:44
Shades, if you park at 19E, set up a remote camera so if your Jeep is vandalized you'll have the evidence to make life miserable for the perps that like to frequent the area.

shades of blue
03-11-2006, 22:43
My goal was Hump mountain as a possible place for my upcoming wedding (very small...fiance, me two wittnesses and pastor). Tack on the distance from doll flats to hump and back to 19E...too far for the other non-hiking types (not my fiance...she loves to hike....she's my "hiking princess".....:D
Anyway...that's why I was wanting the short cut.