PDA

View Full Version : Tarptents in the East??

brancher
03-09-2006, 09:21
But what about all that condensation?

I owned a Golite Trig2 a couple of years ago, and I found that it was totally unacceptable in the Appalachian area. Although it was light enough and easy to erect, the condensation problem was terrible, even with the side vents open. And, during any rainstorm, it sagged to beat the band. I got really tired of having to shimmy out of the tent every morning so as not to get drenched. Eventually, I ended up putting it on Ebay and going to my HH Exp Asym. The hammock is great to sleep in, but has some issues with gear storage, privacy, etc.

Fast-forward to today: I just bought a bunch of silnylon to make another tarp, and I'm toying with the idea of doing an original Tarptent with extra netting and no floor instead. Does anyone have a lot of experience with these things? I've read how great they are out west, where it doesn't rain 15 days a month (like it does here), but I have my doubts about them around here. What about the condensation piece? Are they really better ventilated than the Golite products? How about sagging? Anyone used these things for long trips here in the East?

Also, real-world differences between the Tarptent for 1 and the Tarptent for 2, as far as roominess and convenience?

gdwelker
03-09-2006, 14:38
I agree with you on the condensation issues in the appalachians. I have now begun using a tarp only, and will likely do some sort of attached bug shelter for it - but any additions to the tarp, other than big beaks at each end for storms, will be all netting.

brancher
03-09-2006, 14:49
I agree with you on the condensation issues in the appalachians. I have now begun using a tarp only, and will likely do some sort of attached bug shelter for it - but any additions to the tarp, other than big beaks at each end for storms, will be all netting. Thanks. I'm with you - I think I'll make the Tarptent with a few mods - catenary cut ridge, wider netting pieces on the sides, and the oversized beaks. Still should come in at under 32 oz or so.