PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Out West Hiking Help

chomp
03-09-2006, 12:42
OK, so VSA and I are flying into Vegas tomorrow night and had planned on hiking in southern Utah next week. However, the weather has turned (it is winter, afterall) and it looks like that might not be the best option. However, my head is spinning with all of the different places that are a reasonable driving distance away.

So, I was thinking about spending a couple of days in Death Valley, then maybe heading down to Joshua Tree for a few days. To keep with the good weather, we could then head over to Tucson, but I have no idea what the options are over that way. Also, the weather in Moab looks like it might be OK, but I don't know if there is a full weeks worth of hiking in there.

So, our plans are totally up in the air. Anyone have and suggestions? Should I stay as far south as possible? Is there cool stuff in Tucson, or should I risk the bad weather for Canyonlands/Glen Canyon? My brain is spinning, so any advice is welcome. Thanks!

StarLyte
03-09-2006, 13:15
Well that SUCKS Chomp.

You really need the help of someone knowledgable or that lives out there.

I sure would like to see you in Canyonlands so I know what I'll be getting into next month.

Just go to Moab.

This time you won't be taking that picture of VSA.....you'll have her with you! Superb.:sun

Good luck and I can't wait until you come back to hear it all. I'm so excited for you. And hey - I get to do 2 weeks out there!!!!

Marsha

Mags
03-09-2006, 13:24
Keep in mind a good of Utah is HIGH desert. Looks like the same snowstorm that is currently blanketing the CO rockies (Woo hoo! for me anyway.. :D), is making Moab a wintery mess. According to the online weather sites, it is 34F, cloudy and sleeting.

There is a reason why the local sandstone is called SLICK rock out there. :D

Don't know too much about the Tuscon area, though. Ginny Owen (spirit walker) is from that area originally and posts on this board. Any ideas?

Bblue
03-09-2006, 13:34
I spent some time in Western Arizona last winter. KOFA was nice. It's a large old mining area and wildlife refuge. Right next door (south) is a Bomb testing ground, which makes for some interesting booms and smoke plumes. And hoping their aim is accurate. It is very beautiful and should be plenty warm. Not too far west of Death Valley and much less used.

I stayed at the Southern end near the bombing range. But it's huge (a protected area 25 x 40 miles in extent with no paved roads or facilities of any kind) and the Northern end looks really interesting. There are dirt roads into some areas. I took my 4x4 Ford truck with a camper. You could get in without a 4 x 4 to some areas. I just parked when it got too bumpy. You can camp anywhere and the hiking is great. Not much water though.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizona/kofa/wildlife_refuge.html

Yuma is the closest big town and it's 74 there today. Let me know if you want more info.

chris
03-09-2006, 18:58
This is soooo easy. Death Valley. It is close, huge, empty, stunningly spectacular, you can front country camp for free, there are almost no regulations, and you'll even be getting wildflowers (maybe) at this time of year. Skip Utah. Head to the Valley of Death, stopping in at the Panamint Springs resort, one of my favorite bars.

Sly
03-09-2006, 19:12
Chomp when you go to Death Valley stop at the Visitor Center. There's a audio 3-D exhibit that shows some characters in the valley around a covered wagon. It's a short story on how the valley got it's name. It's also about long distance hiking! Don't be surprised if you get a little teary eyed... ;)

Spirit Walker
03-09-2006, 21:48
Death Valley and Joshua Tree really are quite interesting in the winter. So is Tucson, though with the drought right now it is less appealing than when there is more moisture. The Rincon Mountains and Sabino/Bear Canyon were my favorite areas to hike, or the Chiricauhuas about 2 hours south of town. The Superstitions east of Phoenix also have some really nice hiking in wintertime. Death Valley is a lot closer to Vegas though. Have you been to the Grand Canyon? That is worth a few days. Are you wanting to backpack or dayhike? I think I would still go to southern Utah. It is even more beautiful in snow - the red rocks really contrast nicely.

hustler
03-10-2006, 01:12
I've been in Moab in the snow, its not that fun. I would go more south.

chomp
03-10-2006, 17:14
Thanks for the help, everyone! I am off for the airport. I think our plan is going to be to spend 3-4 days in Death Valley. If the weather improves, then we will head over to southern Utah, otherwise, we will make our way down to Tucson. Hopefully we can squeese in Frenchman Mountain as well. I just finished doing some research and there are several cool looking canyon hikes in Death Valley, so that was a pleasant suprise. I'll have photos in a week - and thanks again.

chomp