PDA

View Full Version : IAT Thru-Hiker - Nanook

ChrisMek
11-20-2019, 11:20
On a recent SOBO section hike in PA (9/7/19 thru 9/13/19), we ended up hiking with a guy that was thru hiking the IAT. We met him at the spring near George W. Outerbridge Shelter. We hiked together for 3 days. His trail name is Nanook. What a great Guy! We had been keeping in touch VIA text Message. My last message from him was on 11/5/19, He was in the Troutville/Daleville VA area.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had come across him in your travels and if what kind of progress he is making. He was hoping to be to Springer by Thanksgiving, I don't think he is going to make it but you never know! He also said he was Hoping to be in Florida before it gets too hot.

Any word would be be great!

Here we are at the Eckville Shelter right before we split ways. He is on the left.

Here is another of him on trail:

Hoping he is making good progress..

Thanks in advance!

Gadget
(ChrisMek)

Old Hillwalker
11-20-2019, 15:33
At the October ALDHA Gathering in Williamstown Mass I attended a presentation by a 1999 AT thru hiker, trail name "Enlightened Rogue" who just completed 2000 miles on the IAT/SIA with a final section in Portugal also in this October. He has been working on sectioning it since 2009. Good presentation of a long process.

Nanatuk
11-26-2019, 01:08
I'm about the same age, have a similar trail name and have walked portions of the IAT in Wisconsin... :-?

Took me a minute to realize IAT that your referring to is the International Appalachian Trail.

Hope you track him down.

ChrisMek
01-22-2020, 16:03
I Heard from Nanook. He got off trail mid November because of the temps. While we hiked together, he said when it starts to suck he would get off trail and that is just what he did. His plan is to work a little over the winter and pick up where he left off.

Thanks for looking out!