PDA

View Full Version : Hiking after hip replacement.

Storm
11-23-2019, 12:42
Hi everyone

Been awhile since I posted here but thought I'd jump in and let everyone know I have not gone to the trail in the sky.
Things have been dicey but I have still been trying to complete the trail doing section hikes. Have a little over 1100 miles done so far.
This year I decided to do a section in Maine and it was doomed from the start. Was not in good enough shape to make it up Katahdin but decided to head SOBO anyway. About 45 miles into the hundred mile wilderness my left hip totally locked up. The great folks at Whitehouse Landing were able to get me back to town and I came back home. After x-rays was told my left hip was totally shot and bone on bone. Had to be replaced. Six weeks ago I had a total hip replacement. Still walking with a cane but improving a little at a time.
I really want to complete the trail and doc says I should be able to hike again. I have been looking at ultralight gear to try and lower the weight I am carrying.
I know there has to be lots of people who have hiked after joint replacements. Would like some comments on how it went and any suggestions that might help me when I get back out there.
Thanks in advance. Storm

Paleolith54
11-23-2019, 15:02
Hi everyone

Been awhile since I posted here but thought I'd jump in and let everyone know I have not gone to the trail in the sky.
Things have been dicey but I have still been trying to complete the trail doing section hikes. Have a little over 1100 miles done so far.
This year I decided to do a section in Maine and it was doomed from the start. Was not in good enough shape to make it up Katahdin but decided to head SOBO anyway. About 45 miles into the hundred mile wilderness my left hip totally locked up. The great folks at Whitehouse Landing were able to get me back to town and I came back home. After x-rays was told my left hip was totally shot and bone on bone. Had to be replaced. Six weeks ago I had a total hip replacement. Still walking with a cane but improving a little at a time.
I really want to complete the trail and doc says I should be able to hike again. I have been looking at ultralight gear to try and lower the weight I am carrying.
I know there has to be lots of people who have hiked after joint replacements. Would like some comments on how it went and any suggestions that might help me when I get back out there.
Thanks in advance. Storm

I'm about 4 years into my replacement, and really don't find that it affects my backpacking much. Can't run with it, some very minor compromises on mountain biking, but no problem hiking on trail. The thing you'll find is that over time you'll gradually change how you make some motions, for example how you descend a steep rocky section, because believe me it'll HURT if you make the wrong move. But once you make those adjustments, it should be a non-issue.

I honestly don't remember how long it was before I was "back to normal" ; I'd say you get 70% of it back in 60-90 days, it may take much longer for the rest to come together. Really hard to say, we are all so different in this respect.

YOU are the world's #1 expert on how you feel, so trust that even if it means you don't follow your Physical Therapist's advice (I stopped going, they had me doing things that were painful and not productive). My doctor and I agreed that walking is the single best PT for this. BTW, mine was Anterior approach and my comments are based on that.

The pain meds are there for a reason, take them.

Good luck!

Storm
11-23-2019, 16:40
Mine was anterior also but doc said he had to cut some muscle. Did not order me physical therapy, said I was healthy and active and could do exercises at home. Thanks for the info, gives me hope.

Hosh
11-23-2019, 17:31
Right posterior, left anterior done in 2007 & 2016. Did physical therapy, but walking in a river fly fishing had the best results.
Id go to a PT person. If the surgeon cut muscle then a PT professional will know specific exercises to address strengthening.

Walk your way into fitness, consider trekking poles for stability and reducing fatigue. Stretching is also key.

Storm
11-23-2019, 18:17
I have been doing some walking on an indoor track and some stationary bike. I already use treking poles. Hoping to get back on outdoor trail in a week or two , want to make sure my balance is good enough so that I don't fall. Had not been doing a lot of stretching, thanks for the reminder, I will pick it up.

Night Train
11-25-2019, 11:18
Get back on the trail, wherever that may be. Go at your pace, over time your body will develop the muscle memory. Remember this line, "The difficult can be done immediately, the impossible takes a little longer" .

peakbagger
11-25-2019, 11:43
I have hiked with and met a few folks that still hike a lot with hip replacements. Several cut back on backpacking and switched to slackpacking. They work up to longer days but just carry a day pack. Even Maine can be substantially slackpacked including the 100 mile wilderness. It just requires either a non hiker with backroad navigation skills to car support or two folks with two cars to do key swaps.